FaithLogan
(recently joined)
07/11/10 06:01 PM
Help!

Been Married 22 years. Getting a divorce now. No papers filed yet. Both of our vehicles are paid for. Both have mine and his name on them with "OR". I want to go have his name taken off my title.. Any problem with that?
I have no idea how much he actually makes. I have been in the dark for several years. We have 3 kids ages 16-18-21... 16 year old wants to stay with dad for now. I know his income is in access of 150K per year and think 150 is pretty close. What all is factored in when it comes to alimony? I havent worked for 6 years..
We are partners in a buisness that may have a couple up and coming big deals with big money that have been in the works for 6 months to a year. I left 1 month ago. Am I entilted to any portion of that money if the deals began before I left or we seperated? How do I find out how much he actually made if he keeps all tax docs a secret and I dont see his checks? How do I find out how much the buisness is worth?
Theese are a few of many questions I have.. Thanks in advance for any help!!

Yes_Dad
(Carpal \'Tunnel)
07/12/10 03:36 AM
Re: Help!

[quote]Been Married 22 years. Getting a divorce now. No papers filed yet. Both of our vehicles are paid for. Both have mine and his name on them with "OR". I want to go have his name taken off my title..

--> Usually, it end up where one gets one car and the other the other car.

Any problem with that?

I have no idea how much he actually makes. I have been in the dark for several years. We have 3 kids ages 16-18-21... 16 year old wants to stay with dad for now.

---> So you will be paying CS. Wjy does his icome matter? You will be paying.

I know his income is in access of 150K per year and think 150 is pretty close. What all is factored in when it comes to alimony? I havent worked for 6 years..

--> Depends on what you made. You worked for 16 of these 22 years. I wouldn't expect much and it might be a wash with the CS you have to pay

We are partners in a buisness that may have a couple up and coming big deals with big money that have been in the works for 6 months to a year. I left 1 month ago. Am I entilted to any portion of that money if the deals began before I left or we seperated?

--> If you are partners, you are entitled to the percentage of the partnership, so in effect you are "wprking" although not putting any real work into it. A lot ofpeople are "partners" and aren't actually engaged in the business. This makes your argument for alimony even worse

How do I find out how much he actually made if he keeps all tax docs a secret and I dont see his checks? How do I find out how much the buisness is worth?

-->You are a partner and don't know?

Theese are a few of many questions I have.. Thanks in advance for any help!! [/quote]

I would say as a partner, you get yur share of what the partnership is and that is it. And out of it, comes child support you will have to pay. Depending on your state, CS for the other 2 is usally ended at 18.

yregna
(veteran)
07/12/10 02:14 PM

So you don't work, but you want money ? You are a typical female, eh ? Thanks for representing honey !

1966Gal
(Carpal \'Tunnel)
07/13/10 08:49 AM

Time to hire a forensic accountant and figure out where all of the money is.

If you are a partner in the business (I'm assuming co-owner) you can certain negotiate that you receive income that the business generates now and in the future.

You need a lawyer. Shame on you for being so "in the dark" about your household finances. Time to put your head out of the sand and start LOOKING. Tax returns? If you are a partner on the business, then you have access to those tax returns. That should tell you how much your H is making.

You need a good lawyer to guide you through this.

Yes, you'll be paying CS, but with 22 years of marriage, you should be seeking pretty significant alimony.

BarbaraSD
(newbie)
07/13/10 08:22 PM

I sent you a private message. Depending on your state, you are entitled to marital property because even a stay-at-home wife support the marital property - your household support over the years is given a value in the marriage.

finz
(Carpal \'Tunnel)
07/14/10 12:43 AM

Huh ?

In what state would she NOT be entitled to an equal or equitable share of the marital assets ?

Yes_Dad
(Carpal \'Tunnel)
07/14/10 04:04 AM

[quote]Time to hire a forensic accountant and figure out where all of the money is.

If you are a partner in the business (I'm assuming co-owner) you can certain negotiate that you receive income that the business generates now and in the future.

You need a lawyer. Shame on you for being so "in the dark" about your household finances. Time to put your head out of the sand and start LOOKING. Tax returns? If you are a partner on the business, then you have access to those tax returns. That should tell you how much your H is making.

You need a good lawyer to guide you through this.

Yes, you'll be paying CS, but with 22 years of marriage, you should be seeking pretty significant alimony. [/quote]

She worked for 16 of the 22 and is partner in a business. she won't get much she already doesn't get

yregna
(veteran)
07/14/10 02:01 PM

Barbara,
How much do you rent that crack by the hour ?

Yes_Dad
(Carpal \'Tunnel)
07/16/10 03:01 PM

[quote]I sent you a private message. Depending on your state, you are entitled to marital property because even a stay-at-home wife support the marital property - your household support over the years is given a value in the marriage. [/quote]

So does his dimwit. She worked a vast majority of the time and is a partner in his business. It's doubtful she will get much if anything. She already has 1/2 of his business.

Yes_Dad
(Carpal \'Tunnel)
07/16/10 03:03 PM

[quote]Huh ?

In what state would she NOT be entitled to an equal or equitable share of the marital assets ? [/quote]

Most every state. As said though, she is a PARTNER in the business, which would suffice in terms of alimony. She would get 1/2 of the other stuff as well. She worked most of the marriage so it's not like she is (was) a helpless stay at home mom.

BarbaraSD
(newbie)
07/16/10 10:57 PM

Depending on what state they live in, the determination of marital propery distribution varies - alot. It get's exceptionally complicated with life insurance, bonds, pensions (State or fed.), etc.

finz
(Carpal \'Tunnel)
07/17/10 12:30 AM

Yeah, no sh*t, Sherlock, but......

You did not say that....you said "Depending on your state, you are entitled to marital property because even a stay-at-home wife support the marital property - your household support over the years is given a value in the marriage."

It doesn't matter which state she is in, she will get some marital property. You were the one to try to imply otherwise

english7
(Carpal \'Tunnel)
07/19/10 12:56 PM

"Yeah, no sh*t, Sherlock, but......"

Why so nasty to a new poster?

Sherron
(Carpal \'Tunnel)
07/19/10 02:01 PM

"Why so nasty to a new poster? "

Read all of BarbaraSD's posts... she's a spammer, nothing else, and on top of that, gives out misleading information.

finz
(Carpal \'Tunnel)
07/19/10 07:27 PM

Thanks Sherron

E7, Barb is spamming for a legal advice site when it's clear she knows less about the law than my goldfish does.

english7
(Carpal \'Tunnel)
07/19/10 10:14 PM

Okay. Thanks. I did not know this. How can a person know if someone is spamming for another site?

finz
(Carpal \'Tunnel)
07/19/10 10:47 PM

All of her first posts had a signature with a link to a 'get legal help cheap' type name and her posts suggested paying by price lists for specific legal advice.

After many of us told her to go away she lost the sig so she would 'look' like a normal poster. She gives dumb advice and private messages forum members, presumably with her spam

Sherron
(Carpal \'Tunnel)
07/20/10 10:08 AM

Like this one...
"Yes, you better be careful with that. There are certain criteria for what is considered "separated". Filing your own papers can often be a good idea in an uncontested divorce but get some help with produre like this.
An excellent resource for self-represented people is
centenniallawoffices.com/Pro%20Per.html
You can get your legal issues researched and answers provided quickly, help with forms, etc. without actually having to hire attorney to represent you. Good luck. "

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: