JustMeAndThree
(old hand)
09/17/07 10:22 AM
Poll: Kids, household chores and responsibilities

Ok I'm curious..how many of you have given your kids chores and certain times to do them? How old were they when they started. What TYPES of chores/family responsibilities do they have.

My DD11 has to clean the bathroom every saturday, keep her room clean and do the dishes every night. In addition she is responsible for feeding and taking out the dogs and cleaning up their messes. (She wanted the pets and is the ONLY reason we have them) She thinks that life is so unfair becuase her 4 yo and 3 yo siblings do not have chores. I just want to hear where other people stand on this.

matart1
(Carpal \'Tunnel)
09/17/07 11:00 AM
Re: Poll: Kids, household chores and responsibilities

your daughter has a point in a way.

I started teaching our oldest to start putting his stuff away as soon as he was done using it. he has been having "chores" since about a little after 2.
I figured if he could find where a toy is he could find out how to place it back.
I think by 4-5 he was taking out trash, vacuuming (of course I had to finish on a day he played outside), and he knew how to fold and put away his laundry. and making his own bed. he is 9 now and he knows how to empty the dish washer and learning to cook little things. and he cleans out his cat's litter box.

our youngest is 5 and is more obstinate. he feels he has way too much to do to be botheredd by the little things in life. he needs to be reminded and prodded along the way sometimes. he finds himself easily distracted by other things that he would prefer to do than what he was told to do.......they are like polar opposites....

JustMeAndThree
(old hand)
09/17/07 11:57 AM

I've BEEN trying to get my youngest two to do things like that but give they are VERY stubborn children it does take constant reminding, prodding etc. My DD11 doesn't see those things as chores though...when I point out to her that they are required to do age appropriate things she snaps back with "No I mean REAL chores"

Honestly, with everything going on with the divorce and her starting middle school etc i think she just wants something to gripe about in order to avoid the REAL issues behind her attitude. I just don't know the right things to say to her.

yregna
(veteran)
09/17/07 06:32 PM

My ex used to ask for help around the house vacuuming, dusting, doing laundry, dishes, take out the garbage, etc...

I helped as much as I could in addition to doing everything landscaping wise plus the car maintenance. When the kids were 5 and 7 I insisted they participate in chores somehow. She refused so I just quit talking to her at all. Instead we marked stuff on a calendar to coordinate our activities withe the kids. It worked Ok for about 12 years. Not talking surely stopped us for fighting over stuff...

Debi
(Carpal \'Tunnel)
09/19/07 10:00 PM

My kids are all in the same age group so it's a little different here, but there are 6 things that need to be done on a daily basis by them.....dishes washed, dishes dried, dishwasher loaded, dishwasher unloaded, kitchen floor swept and garbage taken out. We have a calendar and they each have to do 2 of those things a night on a rotating basis. In addition to that each one is responsible for a room on the weekends. (livingroom, diningroom, bathroom) I take the kitchen. Everyone is responsible for their own rooms and picking up their own junk in the rest of the house. I have a rule that if I have to pick something up, I'll only be doing it once because it will go straight to the garbage.

BeckaLeigh
(Carpal \'Tunnel)
09/20/07 08:52 AM

My kids started having little chores pretty much when they started walking and talking. Such as cleaning up the majority of things they pulled out. My DD10 has to walk her dog every day, water her, feed her, straighten her room, and every other day she washes dishes after dinner. My DD9 does the same with her dog, straightens up her room, and washes dishes the nights DD10 doesnt. DS7 straightens his room, walks, waters and feeds his dog, straightens up their hallway and their bathroom everyday. Every night, the girls switch routines. The night DD10 does the dishes, DD9 does everything else, such as wiping the table, putting away leftovers, sweeping up, etc... And vice versa.

BeckaLeigh
(Carpal \'Tunnel)
09/20/07 08:55 AM

The only thing I really expect Dh to do is take out the trash. Either the kids or I take care of the rest, so that is the only chore he has. And I'm not being sexist because I mow the lawn as much as he does. I dont weedeat though. LOL. I do change my own oil, I can flush my own radiator and do when necessary, etc.... I can do my own car maintenance. He doesnt have to worry about that.

JustMeAndThree
(old hand)
09/20/07 09:15 AM

[quote]The only thing I really expect Dh to do is take out the trash. Either the kids or I take care of the rest, so that is the only chore he has. And I'm not being sexist because I mow the lawn as much as he does. I dont weedeat though. LOL. I do change my own oil, I can flush my own radiator and do when necessary, etc.... I can do my own car maintenance. He doesnt have to worry about that. [/quote]

Hehe, I can do my own car maintenance too, if I wanted to, but while I can still get ex to do it, why bother? :) Neither he nor I will ever touch the spark plugs on my van again though...too much hassle...stupid vans...i'm getting an SUV next time.

1004SRS
(Carpal \'Tunnel)
09/21/07 05:22 AM

DS4 keeps his room picked up. He also picks up any toys that he gets out. He cleans off the dishes and loads them into the dishwasher after dinner. He also puts away his folded clothes after we do laundry.

DD1 (almost 2) unloads forks and spoons from the dishwasher while I do the other things.

If Mommy asks him to put away a toy and he doesn't, the toy goes in the shed or gets thrown away.

I have a lady come in every other week & clean up the major things in the house. $30.

Debi
(Carpal \'Tunnel)
09/21/07 10:46 PM

"she is responsible for feeding and taking out the dogs"

I have say if I left the feeding of the cats up to the kids they would starve. One day while i was busy and the cat was trying to climb my leg to get me to see the bowl was empty (well almost empty because for some reason they will not eat the last of the food) I yelled for one of the kids to come and feed them and my 13yo yelled back "I just gave them food yesterday!" Well duh! They kind of want to eat every day just like you do. I guess she thinks that between the every two weeks she gives them food they just wait it out?

JustMeAndThree
(old hand)
09/22/07 08:19 AM

[quote]"she is responsible for feeding and taking out the dogs"

I have say if I left the feeding of the cats up to the kids they would starve. One day while i was busy and the cat was trying to climb my leg to get me to see the bowl was empty (well almost empty because for some reason they will not eat the last of the food) I yelled for one of the kids to come and feed them and my 13yo yelled back "I just gave them food yesterday!" Well duh! They kind of want to eat every day just like you do. I guess she thinks that between the every two weeks she gives them food they just wait it out? [/quote]

LOL...DD11 is pretty good at doing this, sometimes I have to remind her. As for the cats not eating all their food...it's funny you said that. My mom has 2 cats and neither of them will eat the crumbs in the bowl...that is unless she leaves it. If they get hungry enough they'll eat it. She won't refill it until they eat them...LOL I guess it's a cat thing.

Our new puppy, little mutt that she is, almost got drop kicked out the back door this morning...that stupid little yip yip bark for an hour started to get REALLY Annoying at 7 am when I was trying to sleep :) She may end up sleeping on the back porch from now on.

JRS
(old hand)
09/23/07 02:27 PM
Re: Poll: Kids, household chores and responsibili

DS12 - takes out trash, does dishes, mows yard - all as needed - granted we often view 'needed' pretty differently. He is learning though. He also has to make his lunch, keep his stuff out of common areas... though he has more freedom to live in his room how he wants (which is way messier than I could stand - but not as bad as it could be by any means)

DD7,SD6,SS6 - sets the table (gets extra chairs if we're all home), keep their room clean (to my standards), make(7yo)/assist(6yos) with their lunches.

DS12 thinks he gets the short end of the stick - I point out that he gets a lot more bonuses for the more responsibility (later bed time, more computer time, less interference from us, ect.) He's not willing to give up his bonuses and be treated like the younger kids :)

c_jane
(Pooh-Bah)
09/27/07 01:31 PM

DS doesn't have many chores at my house. I only have him thursday night & every other weekend. So I do housecleaning every weekend I DON'T have him. And Thursday nights are spent on the MOUNDS of homework he gets.

He does unload the dishwasher for me, but since I only run it once a week that's not very often. He feeds the dogs/cats when I tell him to. Basically his 'chores' consist of whatever needs to be done that I tell him to do at the moment. Like collect the trash, water plants, etc. But every meal he is responsible for rinsing & putting away his dishes in the dishwasher.

At his Dad's house he has a whole LIST of chores: make his bed, put away his clean clothes, make his lunch for school, unload and reload the dishwasher, feed & water the dog/birds/frogs/fish, put away his toys EVERY night, clean the bathroom, collect/take out the trash, & get his Dad/SM their tea as they watch TV. He's 10.5 BTW.

ssmom79
(Carpal \'Tunnel)
09/27/07 01:40 PM

My s-kids have lots of chores, they are 10 and 13. They've been doing chores since ages 5 and 8.

Now, we have a chore sheet and each kid does two chores per day. We alternate who pics first. The last chore is always clean the litter box but it works. The kids helped us create the chore list, they are able to decide what their chore is for the day, and at the end of the week they get some money for completing all their chores.

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: