katiefedup
(Carpal \'Tunnel)
12/22/06 06:53 PM
wow CS ? for a friend

My DH's friend called him with a wild story. The local police department called him a few days ago. Apparently someone was trying to contact him. It turns out it was a girlfriend from high school. She wanted him to know that he is the father of her 17 1/2 year old daughter. He contacted a lawyer and the lawyer told him not to worry about back suport and NO NOT submit to a DNA test. He said he has always wondered about that relationship for the years. I have horror storirs/ urban myths about this type of thing. Can she possibly file for CS???

mommy2boys
(addict)
12/22/06 06:59 PM
Re: wow CS ? for a friend

She can file for CS all she wants. But if she hid the pregnancy and the child from him for 17 1/2 years, he should not be responsible for any CS prior to the date that she files for CS, and only after he is proven to be the father. I would question the motive for waiting so long to informing him of the child since she is almost an adult.

Renee
(Carpal \'Tunnel)
12/22/06 07:11 PM

That news had to land like a ton of bricks!

Has she said what she wants? I wonder if she waited to 17 1/2 yo to contact him because she thought he'd fight for custody or visitation and by now its a moot point? Same as cs - I always thought you couldn't file for back support. Unless maybe she's coming forward to ask for $$ for college.....

Hopefully she's just doing an FYI and has no ulterior motive. Stranger things have happened I guess.

Gecko
(Carpal \'Tunnel)
12/22/06 07:26 PM

She can file yes, but it will be on a "go-forward" basis.

cincsu
(Carpal \'Tunnel)
12/22/06 07:49 PM

i would be soooo pissed if she waited that long to tell me i had a child. that is really screwed up. i think CS depends on the state, but our attorney told us that in CA it's only good from the date they filed. hopefully she didn't file 17.5 years ago and couldn't find the father. too bad for him and his daughter (if it is his) that they didn't have a relationship this whole time. that's really sad.

katiefedup
(Carpal \'Tunnel)
12/22/06 08:03 PM

yeah it is really sad. The daughter grew up 45 miles from where he lives. What a shocker! The mother told him that the daughter started asking questions a few years ago about him and they started looking then. I don't think she wants money. The mother has been remarried for many years and the child has a "Father".

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: