Mrss
(recently joined)
11/27/06 08:11 PM
Cohabitation and Spousal Support in Canada

If the terms of the divorce are that spousal support stops on remarriage, and Canada recognizes common-law marriage, at what point does cohabitation result in termination of spousal support?

Help, please?

Curmudgeon
(Pooh-Bah)
12/02/06 10:34 AM
Re: Cohabitation and Spousal Support in Canada

From what I read, Canada recognizes a common law PARTNER, not a marriage. It takes a year to achieve that status if specified conditions are met.

If I was the former spouse, once I knew the ex was living with a member of the opposite sex I'd file for cessation of spousal support on that basis.

It worked for me here in California when the ex did it. Under threat of my filing she and her live-in boyfriend hastily married which ended spousal support absolutely. She was too "proud" to have her living arrangements, which included our two minor daughters, aired in a public forum (court) and made a matter of public record.

Mrss
(recently joined)
12/03/06 07:33 AM

Thank you!

Spring
(Carpal \'Tunnel)
12/16/06 08:48 PM

Hey...

I don't know which Province you're in....but here's a little tid bit for you:

An indefinite order or agreement for spousal support can also set out conditions for the termination of that obligation. The most typical of these conditions are that:

a spousal support obligation will end if the recipient marries;
an obligation will end if the recipient cohabits with another person in a marriage-like relationship of more than a certain number of days, usually 90; or,
an obligation will end if the recipient obtains employment and earns more than a specified amount.

This was taken from a BC site...but I believe it quotes a case under the Federal Divorce Act.

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: