superdad438
(recently joined)
04/06/10 10:31 AM
Co-habitation orders questions

I'm in the process of divorce and have read about some people having co-habitation orders. When and how would those be put in? Why would it matter what you do after you divorce someone. That relationship is done so why would they put limits on what you can do after that? I have 4 children and have been separated almost a year and when I am divorced I hope to remarry. How do I prevent any sort of stop to that option so it's not limited to some certain amount of time?

Fishergirl
(addict)
04/06/10 05:04 PM
Re: Co-habitation orders questions

From what I understand- you dont "have" to have one in your decree. Mine doesnt have one. I think if you do they can say just about whatever your both agree on but most just dont allow overnight visitors or the oposite sex while the children are present. It doesnt prevent you from remarrying unless one of your specifically writes that in.

Avaya
(Carpal \'Tunnel)
04/07/10 09:52 AM

The no cohabitation order has NOTHING to do with being married or not being married; it could easily be defined as a morality clause - it's to prevent your children from being exposed to a swinging door of overnight guests. Since you have 4 children, this would apply if you and your ex want to put it in. I doesn't prevent you from remarrying, it would only prevent you from shacking up or having someone spend the night in your home while your children are there.

Fishergirl
(addict)
04/07/10 02:32 PM

I wanted to add that it still doesnt really keep your ex from being exposed to a revolving door of "friends". My ex has at times had at least 4-6 woman that he will tell the kids he is "friends" with and will somehow try and manage to mention to me that he is dating- all at the same time. I just ignored it but I did notice that my kids (all teens) would talk about dad's friends amongst themselves and would use air quotes. I felt bad for the women my ex strung along and mostly feel bad that this is the example he chooses to set for my kids. You realize you cant protect your kids from everything and that you just have to be the best example you can be.

Debi
(Carpal \'Tunnel)
04/11/10 06:01 PM

As the others said a co habitation or morality clause doesn't have anything to do with marrying. You are by all means allowed to move on. If you don't want one then don't agree to it. What it would really limit is overnight guests of the opposite sex who are unrelated when you have the children. If you are the NCP or even if you have 50/50 placement it wouldn't affect your life too much. You couldn't live with someone but it wouldn't prevent you from having them spend the night when the kids aren't there. I think people tend to change their minds about "living together" when there are kids involved. I know I did. I wouldn't want my kids to see me just living with someone.

Yes_Dad
(Carpal \'Tunnel)
04/20/10 05:34 PM

Quote:

I'm in the process of divorce and have read about some people having co-habitation orders. When and how would those be put in? Why would it matter what you do after you divorce someone. That relationship is done so why would they put limits on what you can do after that? I have 4 children and have been separated almost a year and when I am divorced I hope to remarry. How do I prevent any sort of stop to that option so it's not limited to some certain amount of time?

It typically applies to only alimony. Alimony would end (in some states by statute and in some by agreement or not at all)

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: