buckingz
(recently joined)
11/07/07 07:26 AM
Ex unwilling to turn over auto documents

My ex and I have been divorced for 5 years now. Just prior to the divorce we purchased a truck. We had 2 vehicles and in the divorce settlement I was awarded the new truck with the stipulation to make the payments. The other vehicle she was awarded was paid for which was fine. The decree states that both parties are to turn over documents pertaining to the division of properties. I have made all the payments on the vehicle on time and complete now. It was financed in her name and they sent her the title. She now claims that she recieved it and shredded it. This title would show that the truck was paid off. How do I get my title from someone so uncoopertave and vengful. :confused:

SunshineGal
(journeyman)
11/07/07 09:48 AM
Re: Ex unwilling to turn over auto documents

File a contempt of court action and then she will have to pay the costs

Lucy44
(old hand)
11/07/07 11:20 AM

I'm sure she didn't shred it, but why not talk to the finance company and ask them how you go about filing for a "lost title."

Gecko
(Carpal \'Tunnel)
11/07/07 05:38 PM

If your name is on the title, simply go to DMV with the VIN and photo ID and pay the minimum fee to get a new title.

If the your name is NOT on the title, simply go to DMV with the VIN and a copy of your divorce decree and photo ID and pay the minimum fee to get a new title.

buckingz
(recently joined)
11/10/07 05:49 PM

Thanks for all your help. What we ended up doing was my current wife printed a lost title document and we went to the bank and got a release from them. Now all we have to do is take the documentation to the DMV and we can get a new title as well as have it in our names. Your suggestion to file a contemt was our next move had this not worked. It was very hard to do as I have just moved to Alaska and my wife was in Utah. So she had to take care of this before she came up. Which actually was a total pain as she was finishing up with all the move and mothballing of the house while we are gone. Thankyou again for all your help.

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: