Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Spousal Support/Alimony

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
WinterSunLover
recently joined

Reged: 10/09/09
Wait until kids are 18 to divorce? (Calif.)
      #587076 - 10/09/09 05:37 PM

Hi all, I'm just starting to learn about divorce law, and here in California it seems hard to plan around. Let me give you my info. I hope to get back to being single again, and don't need much stuff.

Me: male, 48 years old, make $104,000 per year
Her: feamle, 48 yrs, makes $20,000 per year
State: California
Children: 2, ages 9 and 7
Married: 13 years now
House: paying mortgage on place of residence, about 22 years remaining on 30 year mortgage

Part of me says: wait until the kids are both 18 to part ways. Since child support is a big deal and for the kids wellbeing. HOWEVER...I'm worried about rumors that if you're married 20 years or more in California, you have to pay spousal support indefinitely.

Oh, one more thing, she has an M.D. (yes, a physician) but has not been practicing for 7 years. So she's licensed to practice medicine but has been out of touch for a bit.

So, it's a game of chance, but should I split now (before 20 years) or split later (after child support is a non issue). I hope to part ways as amicably as possible.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
spinnerdegrassi
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 08/20/06
Re: Wait until kids are 18 to divorce? (Calif.) [Re: WinterSunLover]
      #587127 - 10/09/09 09:37 PM

Split now.

She has an MD, and working as an RN I know PLENTY of physicians who have retired and returned back to work with 5+ years off in the last 2 years with no issue. Especially if she's a GP/Internal Medicine etc...No way should you get stuck paying spousal support on someone whose earning potential outstrips yours.

Maury
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: This Asylum --->
Re: Wait until kids are 18 to divorce? (Calif.) [Re: spinnerdegrassi]
      #587195 - 10/10/09 12:46 AM

Split now and take short term lumps. The llonger she is out of the work force the greater the potential liabilty for long term spousal support.

Cinder2
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Southern California
      #587241 - 10/10/09 11:50 AM

Split now. You're looking at 11 years of child support plus probably five years of spousal support vs. no child support and lifetime spousal support.

Plus, you can never gamble on where the legislature is going to go 11 years from now.

Cinder

1966Gal
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 04/04/08
      #587434 - 10/12/09 10:09 AM

Depends. What's more important to you, "the kid's well-being" or the money?

If it's the money, it would be best for you to split now. The longer your wife is out of her field, the better she'll be able to argue for extented spousal support.

If it's for the kids...I don't know what your home life is like, but it must not be so bad if you are considering staying for another 8+ years to save on child support.

--------------------
The Gov cannot give anything to anyone - that they have not first taken away from someone else.

Avaya
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 02/09/06
Loc: Arkansas
      #587729 - 10/13/09 10:24 AM

Or don't divorce. If you're willing to consider sticking it out till the kids are grown, maybe you could make a committment to improve the marriage while you're still in it. Statistics (and I don't have sources, I just heard this years ago and from personal experience, I can say it's true) couples that decide to stay together are happier 10 years later than those who choose to split up. Good luck to your family!

ETA: You don't just 'stay in the marriage', you stay in it AND actively work together to improve things.

--------------------
Eternity is too long to be wrong.

Edited by Avaya (10/13/09 10:25 AM)

Yes_Dad
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 08/23/08
Re: Wait until kids are 18 to divorce? (Calif.) [Re: 1966Gal]
      #587901 - 10/13/09 05:20 PM

[quote]Depends. What's more important to you, "the kid's well-being" or the money?

If it's the money, it would be best for you to split now. The longer your wife is out of her field, the better she'll be able to argue for extented spousal support.

If it's for the kids...I don't know what your home life is like, but it must not be so bad if you are considering staying for another 8+ years to save on child support. [/quote]

An M.D., no matter how long, won't be awarded support. You have rocks in your head. Medicine hasn't changed all that much in 5 years and I know THAT as a fact.

spinnerdegrassi
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Wait until kids are 18 to divorce? (Calif.) [Re: Yes_Dad]
      #587933 - 10/13/09 07:35 PM

No kidding. She can step back into a job today and earn more than him guaranteed. The average Internal Medicine doctor in my hospital (and remember this is KC, where salaries are lower) is 200k. In Cali, they'd be looking at 300k +, and it just goes up from there with specialities.

Goodmom
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/17/07
Re: Wait until kids are 18 to divorce? (Calif.) [Re: Yes_Dad]
      #587961 - 10/13/09 10:17 PM

[quote]
An M.D., no matter how long, won't be awarded support. You have rocks in your head. Medicine hasn't changed all that much in 5 years and I know THAT as a fact. [/quote]

But did she keep up with the required continuing education? If she didn't, then she can't step right back into being a doctor. I know that a CPA has to have so many continuing education credits to keep his/her license, my cousin, who was an RN had to have so many continuing education credits and now as a school nurse has to add continuing education credits for teaching on top of those for a nurse to keep her license. I can't imagine it being any different for a doctor.

Chances are she will be awarded spousal support while she brings her continuing education credits up to date.

spinnerdegrassi
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Wait until kids are 18 to divorce? (Calif.) [Re: Goodmom]
      #587963 - 10/13/09 10:27 PM

You don't need to keep up with CEU's when your license is on inactive status. That applies to Physicians and Nurses.

[censored]://www.medbd.ca.gov/licensee/inactive_license.html

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7209

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: