Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Spousal Support/Alimony

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Goodmom
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/17/07
Re: Wait until kids are 18 to divorce? (Calif.) [Re: spinnerdegrassi]
      #587965 - 10/13/09 10:37 PM

[quote]You don't need to keep up with CEU's when your license is on inactive status. That applies to Physicians and Nurses.

[censored]://www.medbd.ca.gov/licensee/inactive_license.html [/quote]

Uh, you may actually want to read the link you posted. In the application to reactivate the license it clearly states in Part 4 Inactive Status that the applicant must have completed 50 hours of continuing medical education (pretty much says that for any of the parts, btw) in the prior 2 years before applying for reactivation.

Thank you for proving what I stated about her not being able to just jump back into being a doctor. I know that wasn't your intention. But, nevertheless, you did prove what I said. Thank you.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
finz
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/17/08
Re: Wait until kids are 18 to divorce? (Calif.) [Re: Goodmom]
      #587967 - 10/13/09 10:41 PM

Which means that she could complete 50 hours of CEU's this week and make herself current, jumping right back into being a doctor and not needing years of SS

Goodmom
Pooh-Bah

Re: Wait until kids are 18 to divorce? (Calif.) [Re: finz]
      #587972 - 10/13/09 10:51 PM

[quote]Which means that she could complete 50 hours of CEU's this week and make herself current, jumping right back into being a doctor and not needing years of SS [/quote]

50 hours of CME crammed into one week? Not likely.

It's a long term marriage. One where she hasn't been practicing as a doctor for the majority of it, this isn't a recent event. And there was no mention of whether or not she actually applied to have her license made inactive, it may have expired for all we know. Her current income is what is going to be used as it has been firmly established that she is not a practicing doctor and has not been for the majority of the marriage.

It's a long term marriage, she's going to get spousal support. And the longer he stays married, the longer the spousal support will be for.

spinnerdegrassi
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 08/20/06
      #587974 - 10/13/09 10:54 PM

You could easily do it in a few weeks. Most of it can be done online now. You do realize that on average a 1 hr CEU can be done in less than 15 minutes right? Do you know how most complete the credits? They go straight to the test, and keep on doing it until they get the required 80% pass rate. Most don't even read the material. Then you print the certificate.

No physician lets their license lapse.

I work with doctors who come back from retirement all the time. It's a simple transition. In fact, we hve one of our surgeons coming back after being gone for 5 years due to one of his old partners retiring.

You're making this out to be a big deal when it isn't. She won't get sh!t all for Spousal support when she could easily be back practicing almost immediately.

She's not in need of rehabilitative maintenance, not when she can be earning more than him within the year.

Goodmom
Pooh-Bah

#587976 - 10/13/09 11:01 PM

[quote]Ugh, you don't need to complete it in one week. It's 50 hrs per 2 years. Meaning once your license is activated you have to do the 50 hrs per renewal. [/quote]

My bad, but I still disagree with the statement that she won't get spousal support. However; if she did not apply to inactivate her license and just let it expire, it is canceled. And she has to meet all of the current requirements of getting a license. Which probably won't give her a license until she has met the CME requirement for the last 7 years.

She's going to get spousal support. It doesn't matter whether you like it or not. It has been firmly established that for the majority of the marriage she has not been a practicing doctor.

Goodmom
Pooh-Bah

#587977 - 10/13/09 11:02 PM

[quote]You could easily do it in a few weeks. Most of it can be done online now.

No physician lets their license lapse.

I work with doctors who come back from retirement all the time. It's a simple transition. In fact, we hve one of our surgeons coming back after being gone for 5 years due to one of his old partners retiring.

You're making this out to be a big deal when it isn't. She won't get sh!t all for Spousal support when she could easily be back practicing almost immediately.

She's not in need of rehabilitative maintenance, not when she can be earning more than him within the year. [/quote]

One's who don't plan on going back to being a doctor do.

She's getting spousal support.

gr8Dad
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/07/04
You know, spinner... [Re: spinnerdegrassi]
      #587980 - 10/13/09 11:17 PM

...a decent lawyer could have her income imputed at what a local doctor makes, and award HIM alimony for having a reduced lifestyle because she didn't want to work.

You know, with the right spin and media guidance, I bet you could WIN a case like that.

--------------------
Why give a "senior" discount, they have had plenty of time to raise the money...

spinnerdegrassi
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 08/20/06
Re: You know, spinner... [Re: gr8Dad]
      #587982 - 10/13/09 11:20 PM

She can step into a job making more than him within 6 months of them splitting. There is no way a judge is going to give her alimony when her ability to be self supporting an earning a salary larger than his is an expressly available option. If she doesn't want to be a doctor, and purposely chooses to live on a reduced income, when she has the ability to earn more, why should he have to pay that?

finz
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/17/08
      #587988 - 10/14/09 12:46 AM

[quote]50 hours of CME crammed into one week? Not likely. [/quote]

Huh ?

A regular workweek is 40 hours, most doctors work more than that. Even if it actually took her 50 hours, why couldn't that EASILY be accomplished in one week ?

I could bang out 50 hours of nursing CEU's in 8 hours.

Avaya
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 02/09/06
Loc: Arkansas
      #588018 - 10/14/09 09:32 AM

[quote]
50 hours of CME crammed into one week? Not likely. [/quote]

Ummmm? Very likely. Duh. That's how many hours most doctor's probably work as it is. If you can work 50 hours in a week, you can get 50 hours of CPE in a week. However, most likely they'd have to spread it out over a FEW weeks because you have to find what is offered. But in the whole grand scheme, yes she can 'jump right into the workforce.'

--------------------
Eternity is too long to be wrong.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7171

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: