Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Spousal Support/Alimony

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
serpentine25
recently joined

Reged: 02/29/12
Spousal support in California
      #778760 - 02/29/12 06:34 PM

I am confused about spousal support in California.

My husband and I have been married for 7 1/2 years and have 2 minor children. I am currently employed part time managing a small apartment complex. In exchange for managing the complex, I receive free rent and a very very small salary. It is enough to cover electricity and telephone bill. My husband makes $50000 per year. He says that he will not have to pay spousal support because he will still need money to live and that the judge will have to consider his standard of living. Which makes sense, but his standard of living is pretty nice since we DON'T pay any rent.

I have been trying to estimate how much I would possibly receive in spousal support as I have to work at my job 20 hours per week and cannot work full time or I will lose this apartment. I also have a 4 year old with developmental delays and a 5 year old who is on the Autism spectrum.

Any information/advice would be appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gr8Dad
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/07/04
Re: Spousal support in California [Re: serpentine25]
      #778768 - 02/29/12 07:11 PM

"his standard of living is pretty nice since we DON'T pay any rent."

But once you SEPARATE, he WILL have to pay rent. And he WILL be paying child support, at about $500 a month.

What you will have to do is get another part time job, or one FULL time job.

--------------------
Why give a "senior" discount, they have had plenty of time to raise the money...

hanzblinx
enthusiast

Reged: 08/13/10
Re: Spousal support in California [Re: gr8Dad]
      #778828 - 03/01/12 09:53 AM

7 1/2 years is not a long term marriage. Plan on getting a job and working the next 50 years to pay your own way. The gravy train has come to a halt.

I love introducing "entitled" women to my friend Mr. Reality.

yregna
veteran

Reged: 07/25/06
Loc: Oregon
      #778869 - 03/02/12 10:22 AM

Thank GOD your stbx didn't hang around for 10 years, you'd ride that alimony gravy train FOREVER, right ?

Have you EVER had the desire to work at a job and make your own money ?

--------------------
"Anything free is worth what you pay for it..."
"Climate is what we expect, weather is what we get"

javajunkiee
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/08
Loc: SC
Re: Spousal support in California [Re: yregna]
      #778884 - 03/02/12 04:57 PM

Um, boys? She IS paying her way. It's HER job that's allowing Mr. 50k a year to live RENT FREE.

Try another argument to oppose alimony besides 'riding the gravy train'. It doesn't fit here...for HER.

--------------------
Marriage doesn't come with a money-back guarantee.

gr8Dad
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Spousal support in California [Re: javajunkiee]
      #778885 - 03/02/12 05:07 PM

"Um, boys? She IS paying her way. It's HER job that's allowing Mr. 50k a year to live RENT FREE."

Oh, so they are going to live TOGETHER post divorce? DUH! Her part time work pays for ONE apartment, nothing else. SHE will be living there, he will get ANOTHER apartment where HE will live. Well, she will, as I said, have to get ANOTHER part time job to pay for her FOOD and UTILITIES and her portion of the care of the children.

And could it JUST as easily be said that HIS hard work is providing her with EVERYTHING BUT RENT FREE? Food, clothing, utilities, consumables, medical, etc etc etc. But of course I am SURE her PART TIME job is what is keeping them afloat.

"Try another argument to oppose alimony besides 'riding the gravy train'. It doesn't fit here...for HER."

Why not? 7.5 year marriage is NOT long term, she had NOTHING to do with his income, and he is of LIMITED income. He makes 50K. Child support for two kids will be about $500 a month. He probably takes home about 35K, minus the 6K in child support, and he is at 29K. Not really a lot of room for ALIMONY there.

--------------------
Why give a "senior" discount, they have had plenty of time to raise the money...

javajunkiee
Carpal \'Tunnel

#778888 - 03/02/12 05:38 PM

I'm NOT arguing she should get alimony. I'm pointing out that, as usual, the boys dismiss/ignore ANY contribution the wife makes in their zeal to smack down the woman who dares ask the question.

Just maybe, if they bothered to point out the REASONS she's not going to get anywhere (like YOU do) then maybe they'd come off as more credible than a couple of trolls on a rant.

Maybe, for the sake of argument, his big ole $50k salary was allowing her to live high on the hog with two kids and ride the gravy train (BAER). HER little 20 hour job allowed him to live rent free and not pay a couple of bills.

Sheesh Gr8. I know you don't know me that well, but I'd have thought you'd have at least picked up on my pov by now. It's been 7 yrs, lol.

--------------------

gr8Dad
Carpal \'Tunnel

#778891 - 03/02/12 06:09 PM

Sorry, when you said, "boys" I thought you were lumping me in with the anti alimony folks. I am in favor of alimony in SOME cases.

--------------------

javajunkiee
Carpal \'Tunnel

#778894 - 03/02/12 10:23 PM

Sorry. I didn't mean to give that impression. You're more reasonable, and a lot more rational, on the subject than the other two. My apologies.

--------------------

hanzblinx
enthusiast

Reged: 08/13/10
      #778988 - 03/05/12 10:36 AM

[quote]Um, boys? She IS paying her way. It's HER job that's allowing Mr. 50k a year to live RENT FREE.

Try another argument to oppose alimony besides 'riding the gravy train'. It doesn't fit here...for HER. [/quote]

The argument in court is that the more self sufficient she is the less need for alimony. I truly hope she is a productive hard working member of society. If that's the case, she wont get a dime.

Arguing that she is paying her way is the exact opposite of what she must do, if she expects to extort from her husband.

Gecko
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Third rock from the sun
      #779564 - 03/11/12 07:26 PM

In exchange for managing the complex, I receive free rent and a very very small salary.

---> Actually, your rent isn't 'free', it is a part of your compensation package. So your cash salary (say $300) PLUS the amount that your apartment would normally 'rent' for (say $1000) is your current monthly salary ($1300/month for part-time).

He says that he will not have to pay spousal support because he will still need money to live and that the judge will have to consider his standard of living. Which makes sense, but his standard of living is pretty nice since we DON'T pay any rent.

---> 1) He's wrong. 2) You HAVE been paying rent, you just haven't had to write a check for it.

I have been trying to estimate how much I would possibly receive in spousal support as I have to work at my job 20 hours per week and cannot work full time or I will lose this apartment.

---> While you may not be able to work second job full-time, you could work a second job part-time.

I also have a 4 year old with developmental delays and a 5 year old who is on the Autism spectrum.

---> Which may or may not impact spousal support.

--------------------
If you air your dirty linen in public, expect people to comment on the skid marks!

Gecko
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Third rock from the sun
      #779568 - 03/11/12 07:34 PM

Her part time work pays for ONE apartment, nothing else.

---> Actually...she mentioned that she also receives a small salary that pays for electric and telephone. Depending on what her utilities are running, plus what they would pay for rent if she wasn't the manager...she could be 'earning' anywhere from $1,300 or higher.

Well, she will, as I said, have to get ANOTHER part time job to pay for her FOOD and UTILITIES and her portion of the care of the children.

---> Utilities...she ALREADY pays for electric and telephone. Guessing that they don't currently have any child care expenses because of her job, but as noted, if she gets another part-time job, she will undoubted have them.

--------------------
If you air your dirty linen in public, expect people to comment on the skid marks!

4320MANAGER
recently joined

Reged: 04/26/12
Re: Spousal support in California [Re: Gecko]
      #783804 - 04/26/12 06:38 PM

Read Family Code section 4320. You can find this code section and more at 4320manager.com.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3433

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: