Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Child Support

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
divorcesucks17
recently joined

Reged: 11/17/11
Need help and advise
      #768236 - 11/17/11 09:52 PM

I'll make this as simple as I can....

Still technically married, divorce has been going on since March. He works in the oil field making dang good money. Got a court order for him to pay child support & alimony. About 3 weeks ago, he had back problems and now cant work for a month possibly moving forward forever. He is "saying" that his pay dropped so now he can't pay alimony, and says he probably wont be paying child support on the 1st. (But at the same time says that I'm taking way more money then needed and thats part of the reason for him not paying)

I have now paid my attorney over $900 to do nothing other then get a judge to sign for an agreement made outside of court. He is doing nothing for me, and is now demanding more money before moving forward which I dont have cause my x stopped paying!

I have read into all the laws for "if" he just cant pay, but I need that money to take care of our son.

Can someone please tell me what I can do before I loose everything??? :confused:

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
annieo
veteran

Reged: 07/07/10
Re: Need help and advise [Re: divorcesucks17]
      #768239 - 11/17/11 10:34 PM

Get a J O B - in reality alimony and child support should not be your only income - you should have income to cover your bills without the additional support - he can't/won't pay so now you have nothing - if you had a J O B you would still have an income coming in to take care of your child.

One should never expect a "free ride" through life - you are an adult now put on those big girl panties and take care of yourself.

Renny
addict

Reged: 09/24/11
      #768240 - 11/17/11 10:49 PM

Contact child support enforcement services and get a case going to collect cs. It's slower but but much cheaper than paying a lawyer to drag him into court on contempt.

divorcesucks17
recently joined

Reged: 11/17/11
Re: Need help and advise [Re: annieo]
      #768242 - 11/17/11 11:17 PM

WOW, thanks I guess. For your information I work full time and I'm taking online classes for college. I left that out cause I didn't even find it relevant to what I was needing help with. Thank you SO much for your wonderful response. Forget this website, I was looking for help and found a jerk. Thanks.

annieo
veteran

#768368 - 11/18/11 09:51 PM

obviously I hit a nerve - you make you situation sound desperate - my mistake - you have a job and go to school - great this will help you in the long run - but for now you say you will lose everything - then move into a cheaper place, get another job - the reality is - you can't force him to pay RIGHT NOW so in order for you to take care of you child YOU need to get another J O B - here's the deal obviously you live beyond your means and count on the alimony and support so in order to NOT lose everything you have to fix it YOU DO - he will be chastised and given time and what have you to pay - then again it can be delayed repeatedly so in the mean time so you "don't lose everything" you will need to make it work.

Unfortunately the court can order monies to be paid but the court does not "cut the check" so unless the payor pays the payee your sol.

If you are as desperate as you have made yourself out to be then only you can make it not so desperate - NEVER count on the money then you will be ok - make sure you can cover your bills without it then you will not be desperate - but like I said you must be living beyond your means otherwise it would not be such a desperate situation by relying on someone else to pay the bills - btw - if you haven't already taken a student loan - you can maybe get one now to cover what you need until things are sorted out or if it is that desperate - go get some government help - if you are below poverty with your ft job and school then they can give you so much and he will have to pay the government back - another avenue for you - but hey you don't need advice from a jerk

Sherron
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 11/25/06
      #768422 - 11/19/11 05:51 PM

"obviously I hit a nerve "

Judgments based on incorrect assumptions aren't usually taken well.

annieo
veteran

Re: Need help and advise [Re: Sherron]
      #768475 - 11/20/11 12:25 PM

Yes I made some assumptions based on the information given - who hasn't - IMPORTANT RELATIVE information was left out

on a side note - this person recently joined yet had 5 stars when she joined and has slowly lost those stars so I actually think it is someone from here or a troll. She makes herself sound desperate with no other income what really did she expect - had she listed her work she one could see that she was trying to make ends meet and contributing to herself and the child the answer would have been the same but with out the (snarky) get a J O B added except to maybe get another job to tide over until the check starts coming in again.

I highly doubt you would have told her to sit around and wait for a check to magically appear

buckwheat
journeyman

Reged: 10/09/11
      #768489 - 11/20/11 04:08 PM

yea annieo that quailifys you as the ass hole of the day, good job!

annieo
veteran

Re: Need help and advise [Re: buckwheat]
      #768490 - 11/20/11 04:25 PM

in actuality I PALE in comparison to some here but hey thanks for the kudos. I haven't been the lucky recipient of the "ass hole of the day" award before so chalk one up on the big ole bucket list in the sky ;)

javajunkiee
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/08
Loc: SC
      #768501 - 11/20/11 09:44 PM

Eh, I yanked a star just on principle. The only time a thread from a newbie, especially on such a run of the mill topic, gets 5 stars its because the OP gives them to themselves. If they're that sure of their position that they think they're star-worthy, I find it amusing just to bring em back down to earth, lol.

--------------------
Marriage doesn't come with a money-back guarantee.

gr8Dad
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/07/04
      #768511 - 11/20/11 11:40 PM

Be realistic. The purpose of Alimony and child support is to keep you and the child in the conditions that would have existed had the divorce not occured. He is HURT, he makes such good money because its DANGEROUS. ENFORCING it now may make him FAR less agreeable in the future.

--------------------
Why give a "senior" discount, they have had plenty of time to raise the money...

Cassie23
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 10/07/05
      #768526 - 11/21/11 06:19 AM

So the alimony and CS that exists right now is temporary? I know that sometimes a judge can give temporary alimony through the divorce process until the divorce is finalized? Are you both agreeable to alimony after the divorce is finalized?

If he is hurt and can no longer work as he was before, then his circumstances have changed and alimony will most likely be decreased as well as child support.

I could see how some may have assumed you were not working since you suggested since he was not paying you do not have the money to pay your lawyer and you may loose everything. Unfortunately you cannot rely on your X's alimony or CS payments in case he is unable or stops paying. If he disappeared tomorrow- how would you support your family?

When is your next court date and is your X planning on trying to modify the temp order since he is no longer able to work?

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating: ***
Topic views: 5408

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: