Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Stepfamily Issues

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
rocketgirl
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/24/04
Loc: On the beach in 14 years...
Re: When should our kids leave home? [Re: Rebecca5]
      #230010 - 05/02/07 10:14 PM

And if Mommy and Daddy had done a good job teaching their kids about finances.. NOT waiting until they are 22 and out on their own (Susan), they would know enough and be scared enough of credit cards to turn them down flat.

--------------------
Lisa

Diplomacy - the art of telling someone to go to hell, and them looking forward to the trip.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rebecca5
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Down home.
Re: When should our kids leave home? [Re: rocketgirl]
      #230016 - 05/02/07 10:18 PM

My dad did a great job, he thought....preached the good word. I watched him crawl out of debt for most of my life. When the hottie with the clip board approached me (at 18), I filled it out and got his phone number....telling myself that I'd just cancel it when it arrived. Uh huh. Okay...maybe I'll save it for "emergencies." New boots ARE an emergency, no?

Sometimes, Mommy and Daddy can do their very best, and kids make their own choices anyway. Odd how that happens.

jsp
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 09/30/05
      #230022 - 05/02/07 10:22 PM

[quote]And if Mommy and Daddy had done a good job teaching their kids about finances.. NOT waiting until they are 22 and out on their own (Susan), they would know enough and be scared enough of credit cards to turn them down flat. [/quote]

I agree with you completely - I used my parents young, was taught never buy what you can't afford and can't pay that month off and I've never been in debt or ever owed a balance on my credit cards. That comes from the values parents teach very early on about money, budgeting and saving. At 23, the first thing I did per my parent's coaching with my first pay check post graduate school was open a Roth Ira - not go blow it as that was the expectation in our family.

rocketgirl
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/24/04
Loc: On the beach in 14 years...
Re: When should our kids leave home? [Re: Rebecca5]
      #230024 - 05/02/07 10:23 PM

[quote] I've already promised my children that I will hunt them down and slap them silly if they apply for ANYTHING before they have livable wages.[/quote]

LOL - maybe this is what your dad should have said to you! I plan on making my kids so terrified of what will happen if you have a credit card, they will run screaming from the "hottie with a clipboard"!

--------------------
Lisa

Diplomacy - the art of telling someone to go to hell, and them looking forward to the trip.

Rebecca5
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Down home.
      #230044 - 05/03/07 07:47 AM

Actually, I had more money in the bank than he did, and could well afford the payments. That wasn't the point. It's that they apply for the cards because the offer is so appealing, and suddenly forget everything they've ever been taught. It's not always that their parents are such poor money managers, or live beyond their means.

Susanf31
Carpal \'Tunnel

#230097 - 05/03/07 09:23 AM

They learn what they see... since Mommy and Daddy have all these things, the kids think they should also.

My grandmother would have rather starved than put a thing on a credit card.

++++++++

I agree with Rocket. I don't think it's so much what we are GIVEN, but how we are raised to view money. For example, I was "given" alot, but my car was a CLUNKER. My dad doesn't believe in having nice, expensive cars. He always said "a car is transportation. The best car is a paid-for car that runs!"

I never went for the big, expensive car, even when I could easily afford it.

My parents preached the importance of having good credit. I've never paid a bill late in my adult life. Never!

It has nothing to do with what I was "given." It's all about what I was taught...how to view money, credit, and "things."

KsProblem
journeyman

Reged: 04/24/07
Re: When should our kids leave home? [Re: Dee78]
      #230529 - 05/04/07 10:11 AM

Well my opinion is that if the child/children is in school or college then yes why not allow them to live at home! Isnt schooling the most important thing for our children i think so but thats my opinion. If the child follows the rules of YOUR HOME then i would let them stay. My hubby has 3 kids from prev marriage. His son lived with us for awhile and never followed 1 rule. and the only rule he had to follow was take the dirty dishes and garbage out of his room and put garbage in trash not on floor. Well he cdnt even do that DAD had to clean his room (i think he is just pathetic to clean his sons room) mind you his son was 19 just turned 20. lol no college no job wdnt do anything but sit on internet and we wd fight cause my kids had to help but his didnt! this is still an issue but long story. I will post my own for help as well lol. But let them stay as long as they follow your rules!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 59 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2899

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: