Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Stepfamily Issues

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)
Gecko
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Third rock from the sun
Re: Curious - religious question (OT-kind of) [Re: Avaya]
      #784516 - 05/09/12 03:16 PM

There are many instances in the Bible where it is said that God calls for someone to be stoned to death. But honestly, how is that any different from our own death penalty? Some could argue that it was 'horrific' for adultery to be punishable by death, but then again, we once had laws that made horse theft a hanging offense...or running away from your 'master'.

--------------------
If you air your dirty linen in public, expect people to comment on the skid marks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LexieBelle
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 11/07/10
Re: Curious - religious question (OT-kind of) [Re: Gecko]
      #784517 - 05/09/12 03:35 PM

[quote]Wow.. just wow.

---> I agree...how you can confuse slavery with bondsmen (indentured servants) or apprentices. [/quote]

-------------->> Both just more "pc" terms for the same thing.. SLAVERY. Period. You can spin it however you like but it remains the same. The "wow, just wow" was the lengths to which you'll go to justify what is unjustifiable, unsupportable with ANY semblance of actual FACT. But that's okay. Seems to make you feel better, far be it from me to judge.. I'll leave that to you "christian" folk ;)

M5M5
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 07/29/05
Re: Curious - religious question (OT-kind of) [Re: gr8Dad]
      #784518 - 05/09/12 03:57 PM

The "Church" saw that as heresy, but was it really? No. Man made decisions and rules.

I have no problem with the Bible saying sins are punishable by death. We all deserve to burn in hell for our sins. Thank God Jesus came and with him, a new covenant.

Maury
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: This Asylum --->
Re: Curious - religious question (OT-kind of) [Re: M5M5]
      #784519 - 05/09/12 04:19 PM

Here is a letter that has circulated the internet in many forms pointing out how literal interpretation of the bible may not work too well. In this incarnation, it is presumably a letter to Laura Schlessinger who is against gay marriage and supposedly -observed that it is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22 and cannot be condoned under any circumstance.

Dear Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them:

When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15:19- 24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? - Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Gecko
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Curious - religious question (OT-kind of) [Re: LexieBelle]
      #784520 - 05/09/12 05:30 PM

Both just more "pc" terms for the same thing.. SLAVERY. Period. You can spin it however you like but it remains the same.

---> LOL Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. hehehehe. Yes, using TODAY'S standards, you can SPIN those things as a FORM of 'slavery', but therein lies the problem...you CANNOT use today's standards.

The "wow, just wow" was the lengths to which you'll go to justify what is unjustifiable, unsupportable with ANY semblance of actual FACT.

---> Explaining something is NOT justifying, but you know that. Problem is, the explanation nullifies the argument and you can't have that so you have to SPIN it.

Gecko
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Curious - religious question (OT-kind of) [Re: Maury]
      #784521 - 05/09/12 05:31 PM

I have read that several times and still get a big kick out of it.

--------------------
If you air your dirty linen in public, expect people to comment on the skid marks!

gr8Dad
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/07/04
      #784523 - 05/09/12 09:11 PM

So, during TRANSLATION, the meanings got skewed, right? Any chance they got skewed on OTHER stuff? Like maybe they DIDN'T mean people who are sexually attracted to the same sex, but those who are sexually attracted to the opposite sex, but have sex with the same sex?

But I digress. Why would the ALL POWERFUL GOD allow such mistranslations to happen? I mean this is IMPORTANT to him, right? He WANTS us to find him and follow him and praise him, o why allow the confusion? Oh, yeah, I know, to TEST us...but what is the right answer? There is ZERO concrete evidence as to which translation is correct. And there isn't even a WAY to figure out which version is correct without asking for a TEST, which we know God has outlawed.

So DON'T question God, or his rules, but DECIDE which version of his rules are correct. Oh, and you won't know until you DIE and it is too late, whether or not you choose correctly.

All this from our FATHER. Well, guess what, I gave my kids a choice of 5 clear glasses of water. Four contained a colorless odorless POISON which will cause them to die a FIERY PAINFUL DEATH, the fifth is water. They may not ask me ANY questions, nor is there ANY way to determine which one is which. Am I a good Dad?

--------------------
Why give a "senior" discount, they have had plenty of time to raise the money...

gr8Dad
Carpal \'Tunnel

#784524 - 05/09/12 09:12 PM

I find it interesting that you find it funny, because those are all rules from your bible. You know, the one MAN twisted to fit his needs. So which one of the quoted texts are from GOD< and which are from man, and WHY.

--------------------
Why give a "senior" discount, they have had plenty of time to raise the money...

Gecko
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Curious - religious question (OT-kind of) [Re: gr8Dad]
      #784525 - 05/09/12 09:40 PM

I find it interesting that you find it funny, because those are all rules from your bible.

---> I don't know why you would find it 'interesting' that I have a sense of humor.

--------------------

gr8Dad
Carpal \'Tunnel

#784527 - 05/09/12 10:00 PM

A sense of humor about GOD? How about this one, Jesus walks into a motel in Jerusalem, throws three nails on the counter and says, "Can you put me up for the night?"

The point being, you cannot take a book RIFE with violence and killings sanctioned by God, then say that SOME of the killing was a misinterpretation. Why not ALL the killing? Lets be honest, your God is a vindictive sort. He has had innocent women and children MURDERED. Look at the story of the test of Baal in Kings. He tells the followers of Baal to PROVE he exists, and when they cannot, he tells HIS followers to MURDER THEM. Yet his OWN rules state it is a SIN to test him to see if he exists.

Sorry, NO insult intended, but if ANYONE else did this, you would be the FIRST to call them a TOTAL D!CK.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating: *
Topic views: 7934

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: