Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Child Support

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
AnneB
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 09/21/05
Re: Child support and more children [Re: NikkiP]
      #180601 - 12/27/06 05:39 PM

That must be a real problem. Here they don't really care how the expenses have increased. All they go by is income. I certainly hope someone is not able to get CS raised by lying about expenses. That is just so wrong. Unless the child has some kind of special medical needs with prohibitive costs, I don't think someone should really get more CS if the person paying it has not had an increase in income.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NikkiP
recently joined

Reged: 12/27/06
Re: Child support and more children [Re: AnneB]
      #180608 - 12/27/06 06:11 PM

They have a court date soon, court documents state bring financial documentation and witnesses, what kind of witnesses i plan to go with but would i be a witness?

AnneB
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 09/21/05
      #180610 - 12/27/06 06:17 PM

It depends on what the hearing is. You really could not be a witness to what her expenses are. However, if the law in your state allows for a deviation from support guidelines because of that child's needs and allows for a deviation due to the expenses of subsequent children, you may be able to testify about that. As far as I know, the states that provide a reduction for subsequent children use a standard percentage so there would be nothing to prove except the number of children. I suppose you could testify to that!

You would need (and your H) to bring all financial records that the state deems relevant. But if she filed, the burden is on her. You really don't know what kind of witnesses you will need to rebut whatever she is going to say until she says it.

Debi
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/03/05
Re: The bottom line is... [Re: gr8Dad]
      #180611 - 12/27/06 06:20 PM

You know...a lot of times I agree with you but you need to get off your high horse and quit assuming that all CP's are evil and all NCP's have a cloud of black shrouding them. I'm stuck in a 50/50 situation with a person who is not allowed to see his kids. I feel screwed by a system that said he should retain 50/50 status and made no provision for my children to receive CS in case he wouldn't be allowed to have contact with them. The system only made a provision if he went to jail. The man's PO sat in the court room and didn't say a word full well knowing what she was going to do mere weeks after a family court judge decided that a former middle school teacher who was downloading child p0rn was fit to parent unsupervised. When I called and begged for my children to be able to havea supervised visit with their father on Christmas had the audacity to say "If you knew about him what I do you'd never let him see them." I asked her why the hell she didn't say that in court.

Now, I've completely hi-jacked this post and I'm sorry for that but I'm so sick of your pedestal. I am for equal parental rights but I'm also about the best interest of the kids. All you seem to care about is the NCP getting screwed because most of them are men. You are so right. It's more expensive to raise the child than pay CS, especially when you aren't raising them and don't have to pay.

--------------------
When we were together, you said you'd die for me. Now, I think it's time you kept your promise.

jsp
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 09/30/05
      #180615 - 12/27/06 06:36 PM

You can't take a generic question and get the "right" anwser. We were told that if we had a child, we could file for a decrease, but given the attorney fees, it wouldn't be worth the fight especially when we have a year and a half left.

To me, $500 depending on child care expenses is more than reasonable, but given my husband pays $800 child support and $400 military retirement, we'd be jumping for joy for what you pay.

If his income has decreased and it goes on % or a formula, she can ask but the likelyhood of it changing will be up to the formula and judge... it could go down and her attempts for a increase could backfire.

NikkiP
recently joined

Re: Child support and more children [Re: jsp]
      #180627 - 12/27/06 07:18 PM

Well my DH pays $500 plus $300 a month for family health insurance. His salary is $35K so do the numbers and he isn't putting much into our home or children.

NikkiP
recently joined

#180629 - 12/27/06 07:22 PM

Also, If I understand child support if my DH pays $500 and the CP pays $500 thats $1k for one child per month. That seems like a lot of money per month. Is this how child support works?

jsp
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 09/30/05
      #180630 - 12/27/06 07:29 PM

[quote]Also, If I understand child support if my DH pays $500 and the CP pays $500 thats $1k for one child per month. That seems like a lot of money per month. Is this how child support works? [/quote]

I agree, but its doesn't take into the account of the family and particular needs of the child. My husband's ex doesn't live a lifestyle that even allows her to spend $1000 a month (so if she contributes even $200), but that's what the court ordered and there is nothing you can do but pay. She doesn't even spend more than a few hundred a month, with the biggest expense being food since he is in no activities. It's basically income for the CP as the court decided the households should be "equal" in the standard of living even thought it doesn't even remotely "equal out" as the child still gets mimimal.

almostheaven
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: West Virginia
      #180722 - 12/28/06 01:26 AM

If they are GRANTED an increase, it generally means that the CS was not based on their true income or current income, or that the expenses warrant an increase. These are things they should be aware of...that if their income increases, they should be prepared for a CS increase, or if the child has extraordinary expenses, they may need to pay out more. They should consider these before they have more children. And if they feel they can still handle reasonable increases, then they could have more children without anyone feeling any pinch from the decision.

--------------------
Char Fox

almostheaven
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: West Virginia
We are?... [Re: gr8Dad]
      #180723 - 12/28/06 01:27 AM

Gee, wish I'd have had that crystal ball to inform me of how I sooooooo didn't fit your scenario of total protection and insulation.

--------------------
Char Fox

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4020

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: