Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Women's Rights

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
PhoenixRising
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 01/05/07
Loc: New York
Re: Womens rights in Indiana-HELP! [Re: Juliette_Bravo]
      #186473 - 01/14/07 10:20 PM

Juliette --

It looks like you have done your homework. My research also shows that alimony is unlikely. Technically, Indiana allows up to 3 years but in reviewing their case law, they award even that on a very limited basis.

Here is what I found:
Alimony: If the court determines a spouse to be physically or mentally incapacitated to the extent that spouse is unable to support himself, the court may order support for that spouse during the period of incapacity. AIC 31-15-7-1, 31-15-7-2

If the court finds that a spouse lacks sufficient property to provide for his or her needs and is the custodian of a child whose condition requires that the spouse forego employment, the court will order support for that spouse in an amount and for a term that the court deems appropriate.

Factors the court will consider in determining the amount and term of an award of alimony include:

The educational level of each spouse at the time of marriage and at the time the action for dissolution is commenced;
Whether an interruption of education, training, or employment of a spouse occurred because of homemaking or child care responsibilities;
The earning capacity of each spouse; and,
The time and expense necessary to acquire sufficient education or training to enable the spouse seeking alimony to find appropriate employment.
In no case will the court order alimony for a period in excess of three years. AIC 31-15-7-2

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Gecko
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Third rock from the sun
Re: Womens rights in Indiana-HELP! [Re: Juliette_Bravo]
      #186487 - 01/15/07 01:11 AM

You say that you have been married to a "mad man" for 15 years...you have three children, you were a SAHM for 10 years, you went back to school and that he kept you under his "thumb" and allows you no access to money.

Not counting the obvious contradictions, what the f*ck is wrong with you?!?

--------------------
If you air your dirty linen in public, expect people to comment on the skid marks!

almostheaven
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: West Virginia
Don't apply for radiology... [Re: Juliette_Bravo]
      #186592 - 01/15/07 01:40 PM

Apply as an assistant in that dept. or in any other dept. of hospitals to get your foot in the door and start earning an income so that you can sit and take the exam. Don't just "apply" too. Go in and fill out an application in person, you may get an interview on the spot. Lower your salary standards in lieu of them paying for your exam.

--------------------
Char Fox

kemahapalew
journeyman

Reged: 02/03/07
Wow...I'm surprised by some of this advice [Re: almostheaven]
      #195076 - 02/03/07 08:35 AM

Wow...obviously some of your have never had anything really drastic happen in your life that would make you feel lost and confused and very discouraged. When you choose to become a SAHM, you're doing it for the family. To me there is nothing harder then that of a SAHM and I've worked since I was 16 and gone to school full-time while raising my two oldest as a single mom. I was not able to finish because of circumstances. I've been out of the work force for 6 years. The money that you make in your marriage, whether by the husband, wife or both is the "family's". That does not change after a divorce. When you have sacrificed earning an income it should be manditory that your family not suffer any extreme financialy hardship because of the divorce and the husband or wife (whichever brought the income) should have to compensate until the other is on their feet again. You come across as being very judgemental and in my experience, what comes around goes around. You should not be so incredibly harsh in your answer to a person who feels discouraged. This is not an employer..this is a family with children. They are the most important issue here and they need for their mom to be able to get on her feet for them. I'm in the same situation and I understand.

almostheaven
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: West Virginia
Huh???? [Re: kemahapalew]
      #195215 - 02/03/07 08:06 PM

If you're talking to me, because you're posting to me, your reply makes no sense.

--------------------
Char Fox

kemahapalew
journeyman

Re: Huh???? [Re: almostheaven]
      #195324 - 02/04/07 10:42 AM

No..I was not referring to you. I'm new to the forum as of yesterday..my first post and I hit reply on the last entry..which happened to be you. I apologize for the misunderstanding. I was actually commenting to Gecko. The comment about an employer not continuing to pay his employee after quitting.

Gecko
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Wow...I'm surprised by some of this advice [Re: kemahapalew]
      #195348 - 02/04/07 11:56 AM

I was actually commenting to Gecko. The comment about an employer not continuing to pay his employee after quitting.

---> Sweetheart...I was a SAHM at the time of our divorce with three children UNDER the age of 6 and NO high school diploma and limited work history. So I would say that I felt "lost and confused and very discouraged".

When you choose to become a SAHM, you're doing it for the family.

---> Yes you are. And in return, you are being financial supported...or did you forget that since you are NOT working, you are NOT contributing dollars to the rent or utilities or food or clothing?

To me there is nothing harder then that of a SAHM and I've worked since I was 16 and gone to school full-time while raising my two oldest as a single mom.

---> Then you must not have worked at some very hard jobs. That is NOT to say that being a SAHM is easy, but it is NO worse or NO better than any other job...except that I don't know of any OTHER "jobs" that allow you to take naps or allow you to your "share" of homekeeping while "working" or do to do "personal" things on "company" time.

I've been out of the work force for 6 years. The money that you make in your marriage, whether by the husband, wife or both is the "family's". That does not change after a divorce.

---> Yes it does. Since you are no longer "employed" as a SAHM, you are no longer entitled to receive a paycheck. This does NOT mean that you are not entitled to receive your "pension" (aka alimony) early while you look for another job.

You come across as being very judgemental and in my experience, what comes around goes around.

---> Sounds like YOU'RE the one being "judgmental" since you have presumed to judge that I have no idea what it is to "feel lost and confused and very discouraged".

You should not be so incredibly harsh in your answer to a person who feels discouraged. This is not an employer..this is a family with children.

---> I was NOT "incredibly harsh"...I was realistic. Judges and opposing counsel are NOT nice people and they are NOT going to baby someone.

--------------------
If you air your dirty linen in public, expect people to comment on the skid marks!

kemahapalew
journeyman

Re: Womens rights in Indiana-HELP! [Re: Gecko]
      #195400 - 02/04/07 02:00 PM

--You say that you have been married to a "mad man" for 15 years...you have three children, you were a SAHM for 10 years, you went back to school and that he kept you under his "thumb" and allows you no access to money.

Not counting the obvious contradictions, what the f*ck is wrong with you?!? --

What the f*cks wrong with you Gecko? I sense quite a bit of bitterness from you. I don't quite understand why, since you seem to be a very put together person who has the answer to everything. You're life's been really smooth as you've pointed out to me. No bad life decisions on your part, huh.

Edited by kemahapalew (02/04/07 02:02 PM)

Gecko
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Womens rights in Indiana-HELP! [Re: kemahapalew]
      #195409 - 02/04/07 02:30 PM

What the f*cks wrong with you Gecko? I sense quite a bit of bitterness from you.

---> I was NOT talking to YOU, so what is YOUR problem?

---> No...not bitter at all. Just fedup with women who think that JUST because they were SAHMs that they are ENTITLED to the sun and the moon. Being a SAHP is a JOB...NOTHING more, NOTHING less.

--------------------

kemahapalew
journeyman

Re: Womens rights in Indiana-HELP! [Re: Gecko]
      #195410 - 02/04/07 02:33 PM

I take it that you got nothing from your divorce. I'm sure if you did you would have been very noble and turned your back on it because why would you deserve it? Right?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating: *
Topic views: 10332

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: