Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Saving Your Marriage

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
GeorgiaPeach

Reged: 02/09/07
New husband, new problems
      #198224 - 02/11/07 11:32 AM

My first husband passed away in 1999. It was a good marriage, not perfect, just good. I remarried in 2004 to a man I had known for all long time in our church. He came with some baggage; widower, children, grandchildren, and self esteem issues. He is jealous of my first husband. I admit I make mental comparisions, but try to hide my frustration, diappointment and anger. I am in love with him, but don't love him as deeply as he wants. I tell him that real love takes a good time to develop, but he is impatient with me. He gets moody and withdrawn. Accusing me of not loving him at all. After two and a half years, I am tried of the same discuss and it is driving me away from him. I can't discuss this with my pastor, because he has known us both for a long time in different marriages. I can't afford a therapist. Does anyone have any ideas how I can make this marriage work?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Curmudgeon
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: MO Ozarks
Re: New husband, new problems [Re: GeorgiaPeach]
      #198239 - 02/11/07 12:33 PM

It sounds as if he's the one who needs the therapisty to get over his jealousy issues. Being a widower, he above all others should understand.

All I can suggest is the next time he starts this drivel, tell him that if you didn't love him you wouldn't have married him and you certainly wouldn't still be there with him, then be perfectly honest about how his jealousy over a dead man (sorry to be blunt) is driving you away.

Sometimes we men need to be hit between the eyes with a 2X4 to get our attention. Continue hiding your frustration and disappointment for so long as you think the marriage has a chance and don't discuss your former husband, where you went, what you did, etc. in front of him. In time the matter may become moot. Two years is not a lot!

GeorgiaPeach

Re: New husband, new problems [Re: Curmudgeon]
      #198252 - 02/11/07 01:27 PM

When William, my 2nd husband, and I were seeing each other, I did talk too much about Harold, my 1st husband. William was part of my grieving process. He knows how deeply I loved (still love) Harold. After 29 years of marriage, I am accustomed to a certain type of man behavior. William is very different. He doesn't trust therapy. He is strong willed. He wants to solve all his problems himself.

GeorgiaPeach

#198253 - 02/11/07 01:30 PM

Oh, yes, and thank you.

Curmudgeon
Pooh-Bah

#198261 - 02/11/07 02:52 PM

You're quite welcome.

Under the circumstances he's just having to get over it and while he's doing that you're going to have to keep in mind that he's not Harold, not like Harold and won't act, react like or emulate him whatsoever. Surely he has some similar, good traits, however, or you wouldn't be with him but he should get full credit for those individually and not in comparison.

My wife pulled much the same thing regarding the past when we were first married. She was 48 and I was 50. I grew sick of the mentions, comparisons, etc. and let her know it in no uncertain terms. That was likely a two-way street since my former marriage lasted 25 years. The difference was, I didn't bring it up except as it related to support, both child and spousal I was still paying. Now, after 10 years of marriage, it wouldn't bother me anymore if she did make mention of the past which she doesn't anyway. She's married to me, we'll grow old(er) together and that's all that counts.

Tell William to ease up a bit and that you'll do your best to not say anything to make him uncomfortable. He knew there was baggage there after a 29-year marriage and my best guess is that he brought his fair share into the marriage as well. Live and let live!

He needs to understand that Harold is no threat to him whatsoever, but he, himself, is a threat to both himself and your marriage.

GeorgiaPeach

#198265 - 02/11/07 04:08 PM

William has not had the most successful life up to now. As he nears retirement, he is getting worse. Unfulfilled dreams, children problems. He views himself as having been cheated out of many pleasures of life. He wasn't cheated, he just never took the time to do them, enjoy them, pursue them. He spends too much of energy trying to do things he thinks will make me happy or happier. What he doesn't realize, is that it is his smile I want to see! He's a good man. He had to be or I wouldn't have considered marrying him. He is just too worried about us. (One woman's magazine suggests I should invite him for a bubble bath. Since it's Sunday and no football, I think I will log off now.)

Curmudgeon
Pooh-Bah

#198275 - 02/11/07 04:53 PM

I can identify with what William is going through. I had all those thoughts following the divorce. Thankfully, I got over them. Up until that point I figured I could never afford to retire and would likely be found at my desk one day having assumed room temperature.

I did, of course, lose half my retirement in divorce as the ex was a SAHM but I've more than made up for it with savings and investments and will be retiring in a touch over three years, the dsay after I turn 64.

Tell William for me that it's never too late, children have a habit of getting on with their lives even if it does seem to take them an inordinately long time to mature and kicking himself about for a past he's powerless to go back and change makes no sense whatsoever. It's wasted energy, emotional and otherwise, that's better spent on looking and planning ahead.

I'd say William has done alright. He has you, doesn't he?

GeorgiaPeach

#198470 - 02/12/07 01:58 PM

Blanche DuBois: A woman's charm is 50% illusion.

Curmudgeon
Pooh-Bah

#198488 - 02/12/07 02:41 PM

But the other 50% can more than make up for it!

GeorgiaPeach

#198491 - 02/12/07 02:55 PM

Without meaning to, I sometimes intimidate William simply by being the Southern Bell my mother taught me to be. It is not deliberate, it is the graciousness and good manners that were expected in my home growing up. It is sad that the tradition has faded in the South today. Too many cowgirls and not enough ladies. Yes, I know that I am the one out of synch.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3950

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: