Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Spousal Support/Alimony

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
jhan6120
journeyman

Reged: 01/31/07
Re: Alimony after 6 year marriage [Re: preemiemom]
      #198794 - 02/13/07 01:39 PM

Currently she is working and making 50,000 a year, and has worked in her current job for four years, and part time for the year before that. She did not work at all in our first year of marriage. She claims that she has a lifelong disability because she broke her foot and needed surgery the first year of our marriage. She also claims to have tendonitis in her wrists from using a computer, etc, and claims that she might have mesothelioma from asbestos in an art studio she worked in for ten years prior to our marriage. Basically what she believes is this: I made 110,000 for the past two years, and she thinks she can just subtract the amount she makes now from what I made and that's what she gets.

She also thinks I should pay half the car payment for a car she brought into the marriage, along with the insurance. Add to that paying to maintain her dog, her health insurance which she quotes will be around 650 a month, her cable and phone bill, her gym membership of 80 a month, her prescription fees, etc, etc.

Note that we lived in a one bedroom apartment before we got married and drove a Jetta. That's exactly how we live now!

I should also mention that she is voluntarily quitting her job and moving from NJ to CA. She expects me to pay her moving expenses and basically shell out 56,000 to allow her to 'live' for the first year there, along with 2000 rehabilitative alimony a month for three years (this is a new development.) But basically, and no joking, I could probably get the New York Rangers orthopedist to disprove that she's permantly disabled. Then she'd have to hire a doctor to prove it, which could get expensive.

My family has a good deal of money to throw at lawyers. I think she's bluffing me and doesn't realize that I will stretch this out over two years and make it very expensive and difficult for everyone. She doesn't really have any money, and it looks like only an ambulance chaser will work on a contingency fee.

Her history is a pretty shady and litigious. During our marriage she got a settlement for a back injury prior to our marriage. In the first year of our marriage she claimed bankruptcy, supposedly because of her foot. And now she's threatening to go for an asset that I brought into the marriage and that three lawyers told me was pre-marital and passive (see Painter v. Painter, 1974, NJ). So there's another lawsuit for you. Don't know whether or not this will work in my favor.

Man, that was long. Thanks to everyone for their patience. Hope I'll get to help somebody here one day.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Melody
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: California
Until she is declared [Re: jhan6120]
      #198816 - 02/13/07 02:15 PM

disabled and unable to work by her physicians, she is not disabled. In addition, the Department of Labor needs to concur with the physician declaration. It sounds more like she WANTS to be disabled.

Debbie_L
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/06/05
Re: Until she is declared [Re: Melody]
      #198899 - 02/13/07 03:34 PM

"Her history is a pretty shady and litigious."

Yet you married her?

Renee
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: The Palmetto State
Re: Until she is declared [Re: Debbie_L]
      #198973 - 02/13/07 05:22 PM

Love is blind..... ; )

Debbie_L
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/06/05
Re: Until she is declared [Re: Renee]
      #199003 - 02/13/07 06:55 PM

I sometimes think it's deaf, dumb and blind, lol.

jhan6120
journeyman

Reged: 01/31/07
Re: Until she is declared [Re: Debbie_L]
      #199065 - 02/13/07 09:20 PM

I would say that it's hard to know everything about a person's nature before you get married, so I don't think the 'deaf dumb and blind' comment is neccesary

Renee
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: The Palmetto State
Re: Until she is declared [Re: jhan6120]
      #199072 - 02/13/07 09:34 PM

It wasn't meant as an attack jhan.... we've all been fooled by someone who presented as one thing and was really something else. Because we're in love and wanting the dream, we tend to overlook the warning signs that are usually somewhere in the relationship. Thats also a part of human nature sometimes....

I personally think its a good thing -- if you don't go thru life hoping for the best, all that leaves is to expect the worst.

Wow... and to think I hated philisophy in college... : ) I better not quit my day job.

Lucy44
old hand

Reged: 07/11/05
Loc: Rochester, MN
What have you been told [Re: jhan6120]
      #199139 - 02/13/07 11:34 PM

by the lawyers? What do they figure the settlement should be?

--------------------
Experience is a wonderful thing.
It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

preemiemom
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 01/17/07
Re: Until she is declared [Re: jhan6120]
      #199276 - 02/14/07 12:57 PM

[quote]I would say that it's hard to know everything about a person's nature before you get married[/quote]

Amen and HALLELUJAH!! God, don't you just wish you had like a magic 8 ball that really WORKED before one wed someone else?

Sounds like she's, for lack of a better word, but one of my favorite ones I never get to use.. a grifter. Scam here, scam there. She doesn't sound like she has a (sorry) foot to stand on ;) I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Good luck!

trophywife

Reged: 01/26/07
Re: Alimony after 6 year marriage [Re: preemiemom]
      #201756 - 02/21/07 07:26 AM

You have a large enough income spread that she could expect something for a brief period. For example, 500 to 1000 a month for 10 years (one third of you income less 50 percent of hers for half the length of the marriage). I would not accept much less without letting a judge decide.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8352

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: