Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Life After Divorce

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
willybillie
enthusiast

Reged: 05/19/06
Re: Close encounter...of the opposite sex kind [Re: Badasp]
      #274948 - 08/13/07 08:17 AM

How coincidental. Was having my morning coffee, decided to turn on tv for company, and a minute later the host said we will be talking about "Desperate to Date" after next break. This was on NBC this morning. That caught my ear. For those who didn't see it, here is a synopsis:

A 30yr old attractive man from London,England couldn't find the love of his life, so he started up a website called "Are you my wife.com". Long story short, he traveled for 12 months to 13 countries, had 53 dates, and is now dating an attractive blonde from his hometown. Go figure.
What the NBC panel said was the obvious. Why look elsewhere, when your dream girl or person could be right under your nose. Some facts they pointed out were:

** 27% of men too shy to make 1st move even when meeting their dream woman.

** 68% of men too shy to act on an ecounter of interest

Best advice the 30yr old gave was to keep your dates, K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid)

The consensus of the panel on why so many of us are desperate to find romance is that we are afraid to be alone.

They never said what he did for a living. Obviously he had a lot of vacation time and money was no object.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Debi
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/03/05
Re: Close encounter...of the opposite sex kind [Re: willybillie]
      #274989 - 08/13/07 10:57 AM

"The consensus of the panel on why so many of us are desperate to find romance is that we are afraid to be alone."

It's funny you said that. I've found that when a person says they aren't dating or looking people assume they have become bitter about the whole situation. As a lot of people here know my x SO has been contacting me a lot lately. For some reason he seems to think that since we broke up (less than 2 years ago) I've had this obscenely active dating and sex life.(maybe he's just hoping that one of us is since he got married and it sounds as if his sex life is about nil) Okay the truth is I dated 3 people and then ended up pregnant. I had planned to marry that person, we had talked about it, looked at rings, the whole deal. I guess a baby wasn't in his plans. Well, it wasn't in MINE either to be honest. Any way I'm babbling. My point is I can tell anyone who wants to know when the last time I had sex was (32 weeks yesterday) I know this for obvious reasons. For the same reasons I'm not interested in meeting anyone right now. I mean come on, it's hard enough to find someone when you're at your best so why in God's name would anyone be interested in me at this point? It could be hormones or just plain common sense but I really don't see a need to look for anyone after I have the baby either. I'm almost 40, men my age are not going to want to date someone with a newborn. I can live with that and I'm okay with it. For some reason my x SO keeps telling me "I can't give up". I haven't "given up" I've come to the realization that I do not and will not have the energy, time or patience needed to cultivate a relationship. I don't think that makes me bitter. It makes me realistic. That doesn't mean that I "want" to be alone forever. It just means that it's not a priority anymore. If it happens, it happens. One of my biggest fears since my divorce has been growing old alone. Since I will have a child who won't graduate from high school until I'm 57 I no longer see that as a problem. It's just not the kind of not being alone that I had pictured!

--------------------
When we were together, you said you'd die for me. Now, I think it's time you kept your promise.

yregna
veteran

Reged: 07/25/06
Loc: Oregon
Re: Close encounter...of the opposite sex kind [Re: LadyBugRN]
      #275028 - 08/13/07 11:44 AM

Buy a book on fishing. You let that one get away, you didn't even ID the species, you had no net handy, etc...

--------------------
"Anything free is worth what you pay for it..."
"Climate is what we expect, weather is what we get"

Badasp
addict

Reged: 06/04/07
Loc: AZ
Re: Close encounter...of the opposite sex kind [Re: yregna]
      #275049 - 08/13/07 12:21 PM

Now that was funny... Keep up the humor Yregna...

LadyBugRN
veteran

Reged: 06/22/05
Loc: Virginia
Re: Close encounter...of the opposite sex kind [Re: Redlegg]
      #275452 - 08/14/07 10:17 AM

Hi Redlegg,

I was just teasing about the garage full of auto parts and my expecting anyone to work on my car. It was just my way of saying "Hey, I've been waiting for you!" Not for that special someone to come fix my car, just waiting period.

Lori

--------------------
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."

LadyBugRN
veteran

Re: Close encounter...of the opposite sex kind [Re: rschiller]
      #275456 - 08/14/07 10:20 AM

I'm home sick today, feeling like death warmed over. I promise to respond to all your great posts soon! In the meantime, feeling pretty awful. Must have picked something up from on of the patients. Ugh!

Lori

--------------------
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."

LadyBugRN
veteran

Re: Close encounter...of the opposite sex kind [Re: rschiller]
      #275543 - 08/14/07 01:46 PM

There are nice encounters and then there are offensive encounters... I don't think many women would find the tongue wagging a nice encounter. After all, it makes the man look more than a little creepy. Yeah, it might make you laugh, but take the man seriously, highly doubtful. It would make me wonder if he goes around doing such a thing all the time. I doubt he has much success with it either, but he must think it is the way to behave. He's just misguided. It does give a funny story to tell your friends, but not much more than that.

Lori

--------------------

LadyBugRN
veteran

Re: Close encounter...of the opposite sex kind [Re: CiCi]
      #275545 - 08/14/07 01:53 PM

Thanks CiCi,

I am car illiterate! I know where the gas goes, the windshield washer fluid and the air in the tires. Above that, I've always had help. The last six years my dad has helped when he's here visiting, my oldest son, occasionally a friend's husband or a neighbor. If that wasn't available, there is always the oil changing shops. It just so happened my son offered this time and was going to go get everything it himself. I'm glad I said I'd get it for him, or I'd have missed the fun little opportunity. And you are right, next time I'll be better prepared to handle how I react, what I say, if I decide to be a little bolder or not.

Lori

--------------------

LadyBugRN
veteran

Re: Close encounter...of the opposite sex kind [Re: willybillie]
      #275551 - 08/14/07 02:01 PM

Hi WB,

Nope, no patents. If it catches on and you make millions, just cut me a share, okay? LOL! Who knows, it could end up being be like the "Sh*t happens" bumper stickers. It could cause a new craze!

As for when your out at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc (all places we need to add to our lists now ladies...lol!) just look around. There could be a damsel in distress who needs a knight in shinning armor to come to her rescue. I am serious! These are golden opportunities to meet people. I have a feeling there are many women who would appreciate the friendly help and you just never know where it could lead. I just have a feeling one of us is going to meet someone this way now. I feel it in my spark plugs! ;-)

Lori

--------------------

1004SRS
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 12/11/06
Re: Close encounter...of the opposite sex kind [Re: LadyBugRN]
      #275554 - 08/14/07 02:05 PM

I'm at home, too. Ughhh....Been in bed all day.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3513

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: