Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> General Divorce Issues

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
wendieann
journeyman

Reged: 11/13/06
Loc: Manitoba, Canada
First phone call to daddy from kids
      #306938 - 10/18/07 09:44 PM

My children are 2 & 3. Tonight, I asked them if they wanted to call daddy. (his weekend is tomorrow) So, they call. I dialed and gave them MY CELL PHONE (I don't have a home #)

OW answers the phone, and since their voices are quiet, I said, ask to speak to daddy... Well, she didn't... so, I asked my 3 yr old for the phone, and slipped into the bathroom. I said to OW, they called to speak with their father, and I am not paying for them to talk to you. Well, she started in on me, so I hung up.

10 minutes later their father calls, I answer and as soon as I hear his voice, I said, "DD2 wants to talk to you"... then the kids both chatted away. About 15 minutes later, I said to the kids it was time to get ready for bed and to say goodbye. They did, and hung up.

I am sorry but, I am paying for the long distance call on my cell phone for them to talk to dad. I don't mind a brief, hello from OW...but not to attempt to take over the conversation.

Do you think I was wrong to handle it this way?

--------------------
MEP Manitoba Complaints ~ Facebook Forum

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
almostheaven
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: West Virginia
Sounds like it so far... [Re: wendieann]
      #306948 - 10/18/07 09:53 PM

You said they didn't say anything, so did she know who it was and who they wanted? Was she trying to talk to them or you? From what you gave here, you called, handed them the phone, they said nothing, you took the phone, found out it was her on the phone and gave her a curt response. Now if she was trying to chit chat with them or you, it's different, but you could still handle it more tactfully. Next time just tell her to have your ex call his kids back and hang up.

--------------------
Char Fox

Redlegg
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 10/05/06
Re: Sounds like it so far... [Re: almostheaven]
      #307065 - 10/19/07 05:18 AM

I said to OW, they called to speak with their father(That sounds normal)

and I am not paying for them to talk to you.
(was that strictly for informational matters, your disclaimer that you give to everyone when they receive calls from your cell phone, or were you just being sarcastic?? How would you have expected her to reply and how would you have replied if it happened to you like that?)

matart1
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 09/01/05
Re: First phone call to daddy from kids [Re: wendieann]
      #307081 - 10/19/07 07:10 AM

don't let stupidity get in the way of common sense....

no one would ever say that you have to pay for long distance to speak with someone you do not want to but when you hand a phone to a 2 or 3 year who say nothing, then get rude to the person on the other line then you get the arguement you ask for -

it could have been so simple just to say "may I please speak to so and so" or teach the kids to say the same.

--------------------
Life is a long lesson in humility.

madalex
enthusiast

Reged: 01/08/07
Re: First phone call to daddy from kids [Re: wendieann]
      #307145 - 10/19/07 09:47 AM

Quote:

Do you think I was wrong to handle it this way?

Yes. You started the fight by the "not paying to speak to you" line (which was a ridiculous thing to say), so you should not be surprised when she reacted poorly to that.

JustMeAndThree
old hand

Reged: 04/25/07
Re: First phone call to daddy from kids [Re: madalex]
      #307150 - 10/19/07 09:52 AM

Ok, on a cell phone, I thought long distance was included on most plans nowadays? Are you meaning you just don't want to use the minutes for them to talk to her? In any case, what you said was a bit rude and distasteful, tho I can admit that in the heat of the moment I may have said something similiar in the situation.

Next time just simply say " I can't afford to use too many minutes, please have XXX call the kids when he is available"

and leave it at that. Look at it this way...by saying what you said you are giving her the satisfaction of knowing that she gets to you. Why let her have that?

--------------------
Slap yourself, that wasn't funny.

Drew
old hand

Reged: 07/30/07
Loc: somewhere more familiar
Re: First phone call to daddy from kids [Re: JustMeAndThree]
      #307193 - 10/19/07 11:19 AM

Good point JMAT and honestly stated.

That is one of those situations where alot of us might think something and just not say it.

--------------------
"living, learning, from my creator. you gave me life now show me how to live" c. cornell

JustMeAndThree
old hand

Reged: 04/25/07
Re: First phone call to daddy from kids [Re: Drew]
      #307234 - 10/19/07 12:06 PM

Quote:

Good point JMAT and honestly stated.

That is one of those situations where alot of us might think something and just not say it.

Thanks

--------------------
Slap yourself, that wasn't funny.

madalex
enthusiast

Reged: 01/08/07
Re: First phone call to daddy from kids [Re: JustMeAndThree]
      #307255 - 10/19/07 12:26 PM

Quote:

Ok, on a cell phone, I thought long distance was included on most plans nowadays? Are you meaning you just don't want to use the minutes for them to talk to her? In any case, what you said was a bit rude and distasteful, tho I can admit that in the heat of the moment I may have said something similiar in the situation.

What "heat of the moment"? There was no heat of the moment; this wasn't something said in the midst of a larger argument. The OP just got annoyed when the other woman answered the phone, so the OP decided to be rude to her. There is no real excuse for that.

almostheaven
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: West Virginia
You don't know that... [Re: madalex]
      #307486 - 10/19/07 08:21 PM

The poster didn't give enough info to make that kind of conclusion. That's why I told her it sounded as if she was in the wrong unless there's more to it she didn't state. There could be some long standing animosity between the two. We just don't know. Either way, her response still could've been better than that, but there COULD have been some heat of the moment if they have a bad history.

--------------------
Char Fox

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4571

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: