Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Parenting Issues

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
optomistic
recently joined

Reged: 10/18/07
Smoking around the kids
      #327615 - 12/01/07 11:25 AM

Does anyone know if there are laws (ohio) against smoking around kids? Dad smokes(and I do on occassion) but it has always been very important to me that it not be near the kids. He is now refusing to keep it from them, b/c I "don't control him." Yes, on this topic, I've always been controlling, so sue me. It's not fair to them and their health and they can't make the decision to get up and move away from it, especially if they are riding in the truck with him.
Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Goodmom
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/17/07
Re: Smoking around the kids [Re: optomistic]
      #327670 - 12/01/07 04:08 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know if there are laws (ohio) against smoking around kids? Dad smokes(and I do on occassion) but it has always been very important to me that it not be near the kids. He is now refusing to keep it from them, b/c I "don't control him." Yes, on this topic, I've always been controlling, so sue me. It's not fair to them and their health and they can't make the decision to get up and move away from it, especially if they are riding in the truck with him.
Thanks!

Get a doctor's note saying that being around secondhand smoke isn't healthy for the kids and that your kid shouldn't be around it.

The only problem with the above is that you also smoke.

You could always take him to court but then you would have to agree to not be around your child for at least 6 hours after smoking a cigarette yourself. Because that is how long it takes for the unhealthy secondhand smoke to dissipate from your hair, clothing, body.

Or better yet, just quit smoking and then take the ex to court.

You really don't have a lot of room to talk since you smoke yourself.

stuckinarut
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/12/07
Loc: Island of Man
Re: Smoking around the kids [Re: Goodmom]
      #327710 - 12/01/07 07:48 PM

STBX has a problem with my family smoking around the kids....always causes a fight

--------------------
"The King of fraud and corruption"

icwal
enthusiast

Reged: 11/19/07
Re: Smoking around the kids [Re: stuckinarut]
      #327762 - 12/02/07 12:43 AM

Did you inforce this rule (him not smoking around the children) before you were getting divorced? If so you might have a case, if you allowed it in the past, it might be more difficult to have it enforced.

optomistic
recently joined

Re: Smoking around the kids [Re: icwal]
      #328022 - 12/03/07 09:40 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Actually I used to smoke on occassion (socially), until about 6 months ago. My daughter came outside and busted me. It really upset her, so I stopped.

As for when I enforced the no smoking around the kids, it has been a rule since the day I found out I was pregnant. No smoking around me while I was pregnant and definitely none around either child once they were born. Dad always had to go outside to smoke and didn't smoke while the kids were in the vehicle with him. He had 2 family members die of lung cancer b/c of so many years of smoking, but it doesn't seem to matter to him what he could be doing to the kids. He's only smoking around them now to spite me.

JennyLynn
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 07/14/05
      #328027 - 12/03/07 09:59 AM

Just curious...how do you know he smokes around the kids? Does he smoke around them outside, inside, in the car?

I smoke (I'm trying to quit), but I don't smoke around DS. I don't smoke in my car with him, and I don't smoke inside.

His dad smokes, he smokes inside and in his car, and his mother always smokes in her house when the kids are there. That I don't approve of - and while I do think it's best kids aren't around the smoke, if he isn't doing it inside or in the car, I don't see the huge deal if it isn't effecting their health (yes I understand about second hand smoke - but not a lot of parents smoke and that doesn't make them bad parents).

optomistic
recently joined

Re: Smoking around the kids [Re: JennyLynn]
      #328039 - 12/03/07 10:21 AM

They always come home reeking of smoke, so I asked if he smokes in the house, my daughter says yes, I also smelled it when I went to see the new house. Also, my daughter was talking about how she and her brother freeze when Daddy rolls the window down in the truck to smoke. So they are in direct contact with it. That's what bothers me. I don't mean to sound like he's a "bad parent" just because he smokes. It's just that he's now possibly effecting the kids health b/c I'm "not his boss."

JennyLynn
Carpal \'Tunnel

#328043 - 12/03/07 10:28 AM

Yes I agree, it's definitely effecting their health if he's smoking inside, and with them in the vehicle.

I'm not sure what you can do, I'd listen to some of the other advice offered above. But I'd definitely try getting a doctor's note to send him and see what else you can do. It's very hard to control the actions of the other parent, especially when they're as stubborn as he sounds, I'm sorry you're having to deal with it, I understand!

optomistic
recently joined

Re: Smoking around the kids [Re: JennyLynn]
      #328056 - 12/03/07 11:00 AM

Thanks, JennyLynn! Good luck with trying to quit smoking also!

JennyLynn
Carpal \'Tunnel

#328085 - 12/03/07 12:05 PM

Thanks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 12078

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: