Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Child Support

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
ssmom79
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/27/07
Re: Cost of Living Adjustment? [Re: angel549]
      #391163 - 04/17/08 03:33 PM

"I just don't see how a parent that makes so much more than me (and I work full time, too) can DECREASE his CS because he visits 40%...the parent who takes care of the 60% care gets screwed? And mind you, XH is one of those: "Well I pay CS, so I won't buy ANY clothes, shoes, haircuts, etc...you do it!"

So he's got the kid 40% and you provide everything they need? Food, toiletries, socks, toothpaste, toothbrush, clothes, everything while they are with their Dad? What about the rent and the electric expense when the kid is with dad? Do you pay that?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Relayer
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 03/13/07
Loc: Moorglade Mover
      #391205 - 04/17/08 04:08 PM

[quote]
Sure, if it's the law fine. (Those chocolate rain puddles sound good! :) But it makes NO sense at all. Does the law really think that just because it says 60/40 on paper the CP doesn't pay for more things? [/quote]

yes, you are to pay 60% of the expenses

--------------------
GO CUBBIES!!!!

cincsu
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: residence in AZ, case in CA
      #391238 - 04/17/08 04:57 PM

basically he is giving you $367 per month for the extra 6 days you have the child. that works out to be $60 per day for the child. is that not enough? if it goes down to $220 per day that is still about $38 per day for the child...is that not enough? does the child cost you more than $38 per day? do you see his point now?

--------------------
wife of 1, mother of 2, stepmother of .3475902453

angel549

Reged: 05/25/07
Re: Cost of Living Adjustment? [Re: cincsu]
      #391245 - 04/17/08 05:29 PM

I understand the last post. (That makes more sense.) However, to ssmom79 & googledad: you both came up with roughly $312 for CS. I can see this based on the parenting time, health insurance, etc. Those things were factored into the $312 amount. I follow that now.

So why is he trying to pay $220? Based on your calculations, he is trying to pay less than he should, right?

Thanks for the info.

ssmom79
Carpal \'Tunnel

#391408 - 04/18/08 08:43 AM

Yes, based on these he is trying to pay less, he may be trying to get 50% of the health or even 100% of the health. He may just be miscalculating your income or even his income...there could be any number of factors to change his final number. If you agree with our calculations which came from the CS Guildelines Wkst, I suggest you provide those numbers to him and see what happens. Good luck.

freedom123
addict

Reged: 05/21/07
Re: Cost of Living Adjustment? [Re: ssmom79]
      #391409 - 04/18/08 08:47 AM

Concerning this....about the clothing and shoes and other supplies...lunch money for school, etc. How does all of this factor into the 60/40 arrangement? Does this mean that the parent who has them that day should arrange to pay for these items when they are in their care? How does this work? I'm just curious...doesn't really pertain to my situation.

ssmom79
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Cost of Living Adjustment? [Re: freedom123]
      #391579 - 04/18/08 02:05 PM

Well, we have a 50/50 deal. Per the CO, the ex-wife is responsible for aftercare, health care, and school lunches. Other than that, whatever they have at our home is purchased from our home. We purchase separate clothing, shoes when they need them, obviously the food and necessities. We split most other things 50/50. Field trips, yearbooks, school supplies, medical, dental etc.

Of course, in our case, we still pay the full amount of CS ordered way back in the year 2000. If we went back just to recalculate, the raises and such over the years only reduce the CS by $50. Not worth it really. We tried to go with the overnights and consulted several lawyers, but our county doesn't use those formulas and it frowns of 50/50 custody. So if we have to still pay the $1250 but we get them more, it makes my hubby happy. Sometimes it really bothers me. But it's not my problem so I just stay out of those issues.

almostheaven
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: West Virginia
      #391993 - 04/20/08 09:09 AM

You're looking at it wrong. You're a 20% CP. You BOTH have 40%, you have an ADDITIONAL 20%. So that $200 a month is HIS portion of the support for the extra 20% of time and for his higher income. If it were 50/50, you might get $100/mo., or whatever amount, still, because he earns more. But in the same sense, YOU are supposed to be contributing a certain amount as well. So that $200 is only part of what you raise the child on for that 20% of the time.

--------------------
Char Fox

almostheaven
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: West Virginia
Re: Cost of Living Adjustment? [Re: freedom123]
      #391994 - 04/20/08 09:13 AM

Daily expenses, while a child is with one parent, should be handled by that parent. This, that's what I pay CS for, is B.S. when it comes to things like this. Now if you have a parent who refuses to get the child a haircut, to force the other parent to always be the one to do it, you either have two parents playing one against the other, one parent who always does it because they care more for their child than the other parent does, or parents who ultimately end up back in court getting these issues hammered out by a judge because they've gotten to a point they can't continue like this.

The way I see it is...If CP pays a monthly lunch bill, its CS. If lunch is a daily payment, its whichever parent sends the child off with lunch money that day. If kid falls down and tears their jeans, the parent buys them a new pair of jeans. If its yearly school shopping, it comes out of CS.

--------------------
Char Fox

Debi
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/03/05
      #392032 - 04/20/08 12:45 PM

Hmmmm. I'll take the 200 a month. I get 32.00 a month because on paper we have 50/50. In reality my children have not seen their father in 2 years because of his criminal activity. Not once in that time has he offered to help support them. After all he has a CO. I could take him to court but he makes much less now (when he's working at all) and if the court doesn't change the CO to show I am the primary residential parent I could end up paying HIM CS while he isn't allowed to see the kids, because on paper it says he does. It's a great system, huh? Take the 200 and run!

--------------------
When we were together, you said you'd die for me. Now, I think it's time you kept your promise.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2515

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: