Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> General Divorce Issues

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
jaiye
old hand

Reged: 10/27/05
What other states?
      #39496 - 10/27/05 11:54 PM

Hi all. I am new to this forum but I have some questions.

I live in MO. and I am in the process of getting a divorce. It appears that I may get a substantial award for support but my husband has made the statement that if I am awarded support that he will just quit his job and move to a state that does not recognize Missouri's court orders for spousal support. My question is, are there such states? and if so, how would I go about finding out what states they would be?

Worried in MO.....

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dee78
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: TN
I know we had a lady that use to brag about it. [Re: jaiye]
      #39514 - 10/28/05 08:18 AM

How your DH moved to, I believe Texas, and avoided spousal support, I believe from New York.

The best advice that I can give you is to hope for the best and expect the worst. If you are awarded it, great but try to get yourself to a point where you don't have to depend on the money.

sandflea
addict

Reged: 09/08/05
Loc: norfolk, Virginia
Re: I know we had a lady that use to brag about it. [Re: Dee78]
      #39533 - 10/28/05 10:45 AM

I've heard of this several times - guys going into a tailspin when awards like this come down. Heck, my old college room mate was homeless for a while (3kids). He now shares custody - does what he can. His Ex met someone new, and luckilly, the guy is understanding and lends support. He came around - but it took him a couple of years.

Yeah - it may get bad. Sooner or later they usually pay - at least, what they can. Get your ducks in a row, and yeah, plan for a long run.

Hang in there.

- SF

--------------------
Beaches, Bluegrass, Bach, Beer, Bodhisattva, Blisters, Bikes, Boats, Bhujangasana and Bayer

almostheaven
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: West Virginia
There's really no such state... [Re: jaiye]
      #39542 - 10/28/05 11:39 AM

He's living in the state of denial. Yeah, some states won't recognize it, but states still try and work together. And just because they may not enforce it there, doesn't make it go away. If he ever steps out of that state, he can be picked up. Your current state can issue a warrant for his arrest. Perhaps the new state won't enforce the SS, but they may agree to an extradition if it should ever go that far. It depends on how hard your state pushes the matter and what your ex does in the future. Finding a state that won't enforce the order is only a temporary measure. And, it can still totally mess up his credit.

--------------------
Char Fox

Cinder2
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Southern California
Re: There's really no such state... [Re: almostheaven]
      #39566 - 10/28/05 02:15 PM

Even if the new state wouldn't garnish his wages, can't she still get a lien on his federal taxes? Just a curious question.

Cinder

Marie_ss

Re: What other states? [Re: jaiye]
      #39567 - 10/28/05 02:23 PM

There are none. Having said that, most states won't cross state borders for spousal support only unless there is a child support order involved. If you're awarded spousal support and your STBX refuses to pay, he can leave the state but it'll be up to you to go after him by seeking lien on any property he might have, etc.

Are you working? Any children? How long was the marriage?

Lyn
journeyman

Reged: 06/04/05
Loc: NJ
Re: What other states? [Re: jaiye]
      #39578 - 10/28/05 03:57 PM

Believe if your X is employed anywhere, MO can still garnish his wages and/or SS and intercept tax returns. My X pulled the same trick; moved from NJ to VA to 'escape' and was self-employed so garnishment was impossible. As Marie says, another state will generally not go after the person unless CS is also a factor and most if not all 'home' states will not dedicate the time and resources to seek extradition. In my case there was some recourse, however as all orders were 'domesticated' in VA; a simple process whereby VA accepted out-of-state or 'foreign' orders as it's own for enforcement while honoring the original state's jurisdiction (will not change an out of state order). Think, but am not sure, that most states will do this...don't have a list. Good Luck.

almostheaven
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: West Virginia
Yup... [Re: Cinder2]
      #39686 - 10/29/05 09:54 AM

Like I said. He'll end up paying one way or another. Even if he's able to skirt paying the entire cash amount, he's going to suffer with poor credit and needing to continue hiding out and running for the rest of his life.

--------------------
Char Fox

jaiye
old hand

Reged: 10/27/05
Re: What other states? [Re: Marie_ss]
      #39724 - 10/29/05 02:51 PM

We have been married for 30 years. Our 1 child is grown and I am in the middle of an appeal for my disability. We have been seperated for a year with no support at all and I have been living with a friend.

His credit is in shambles already so that won't be a consideration for him at all.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3128

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: