Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Domestic Violence/Abuse

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
sunnyday

Reged: 05/16/07
Need help - dont know how to write this
      #394229 - 04/25/08 08:29 PM

Hello -

Im stuck - I have to write ex an email and Im so at a loss for words I dont hardly know where to start. Advise please-
Ex has spent a year writing me fairly regular long harrassing emails. All this time I make a copy, put it in my file and try to forget. Even then it has taken me months to not feel tramatized by them. Our local prosecutor filed a pending no contact order but my lawyer is against actually having one because it makes the whole joint parenting thing so much more difficult and costly having to go through her for every little thing. I agreed but she made me promise that the very next harassing put down email I got one from him I would write him and inform him I am calling the police with any further emails. Well unfortunatly today I got one. Dang thing was a reply to an email I sent about scheduling an appointment for the kids and didnt have anything to do with the subject at all. Any suggestions on how to word this? Lawyer is nicely telling me to get a backbone- im trying lol

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
stuckinarut
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/12/07
Loc: Island of Man
Re: Need help - dont know how to write this [Re: sunnyday]
      #394242 - 04/25/08 10:01 PM

No your not! I'm stuck!!!

--------------------
"The King of fraud and corruption"

Relayer
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 03/13/07
Loc: Moorglade Mover
Re: Need help - dont know how to write this [Re: stuckinarut]
      #394284 - 04/26/08 06:18 AM

My suggestion is to change your email address and don't tell him the new one. End of story.

--------------------
GO CUBBIES!!!!

almostheaven
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: West Virginia
I don't think that's an option... [Re: Relayer]
      #394302 - 04/26/08 07:30 AM

Joint parenting probably prevents that. I'm sure it would have been the first thing the prosecutor and her attorney would've suggested if it had been feasible.

--------------------
Char Fox

Relayer
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: I don't think that's an option... [Re: almostheaven]
      #394337 - 04/26/08 09:41 AM

If she is receiving harrassing emails, every prosecutor in the world would advise her to change the address and address it in court.

--------------------
GO CUBBIES!!!!

lilywhite

Reged: 04/21/08
      #396246 - 04/29/08 11:34 PM

When I was in a similar situation, I sent an email telling ex that I would no longer be accepting emails from him and had blocked his address. I told him if he needed to correspond regarding the children, my friend xxx at email@address has offered to relay messages to me about the care of the children. Then I changed my email address.

As far as I can tell, he has never sent my friend abusive emails. And I don't have to think about it any more. Worked great for me.

Relayer
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Need help - dont know how to write this [Re: lilywhite]
      #396260 - 04/30/08 04:58 AM

[quote]When I was in a similar situation, I sent an email telling ex that I would no longer be accepting emails from him and had blocked his address. I told him if he needed to correspond regarding the children, my friend xxx at email@address has offered to relay messages to me about the care of the children. Then I changed my email address.

As far as I can tell, he has never sent my friend abusive emails. And I don't have to think about it any more. Worked great for me. [/quote]

The problem with just blocking his address is he can simply make a Y ahoo address (or whatever) and then he is no longer blocked.

--------------------
GO CUBBIES!!!!

sunnyday

Reged: 05/16/07
Re: Need help - dont know how to write this [Re: Relayer]
      #396343 - 04/30/08 09:46 AM

I sent a letter to him (very short) explaining that any more harrassing emails would be shown to the police. I also detailed briefly what I would consider harrassing. And that all further emails need to stay on topic of the needs of the children. Both the prosecutor and my lawyer were glad that I did. A few hours later I got a long rambling email that he just kept repeating that he had rights. It was strange because myself or my dh has never denied that or tried to hinder them. He also kept saying that he would see me in court regarding his case - but the prosecutor told dh that we arent even needed and not to worry about coming. It is between him and the state. So at least I feel better about that.

The hard part is that some of his emails are so off the wall that I worry about his menatal health. (and no im not saying this because I plan on accusing him of something in the future)

Even odder is after him swearing I was denying him of his rights to the kids - he called s and told him he was unavaiable to take them for his overnight last night. You could tell he was alittle disappointed.

Relayer
Carpal \'Tunnel

#396642 - 04/30/08 04:18 PM

What was he saying that was harrassing? What traumatized you?

Like I said, just change your email addy and it will end. Or have to court issue an order that orders him to only email you about the kids, etc

Did the prosecutor say they were harrassing enough to get a RO granted? Why hasn't he?

--------------------
GO CUBBIES!!!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3223

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: