Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Stepfamily Issues

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
KiwiGirl
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/05
Loc: Plains State
Will he NEVER learn?
      #414891 - 06/18/08 08:18 AM

YSS is 15. He is in Summer School to learn how to hand in his homework and worksheets. This is the reason he failed his compulsary classes He hardly handed in any freaking work sheets or homework! So now he is in Summer School to make up the 3 classes he failed the first semester by NOT handing in work. How stupid is that?

How about THIS stupid...

My son (Mr16) bought himself a plastic airsoft rifle. He deliberately bought one that could not be mistaken in any way for a real gun. It is clear freaking plastic. The pellets are red and yellow. Did everyone read the 'clear' bit?

He was working the other evening and said YSS could use his rifle in the back yard. No problem. The other night they were out there shooting pellets at the dogs food bowl and denting it. (Mr16 had YSS/Mr15 holding the bowl and every so often we heard an 'ow!' when he got hit)

So Mr15 takes the rifle out the back. We have an open field buffer zone between us and the tiny propane business on the
main road. The grasses are now shoulder height. DH TOLD Mr15 not to go into the field. Who knows what is in there and the last thing I needed was Mr15 being bitten by a rabid rodent or sprayed by a worried skunk.

The next thing we heard was the police helicopter overhead and a police cruiser driving onto the field. DH KNEW what had happened. Yup, Mr15 had gone into the field and a semi sighted neighbour had reports a Young White Male with a gun in the open field aiming as houses.

OK, did everyone get the 'see through' bit? Did everyone get the fact that the rifle has minimal range and only dents a dog bowl at 10 yds? It doesn't even leave a bruise!

DH went out and spoke to the police. He told Mr15 to go and get the rifle to show the cop. The cop said he didn't need to see it and the call out was considered a false alarm.

Now I understand how the old guy must have been confused. However this gun is positively transparent enough for Wonder Woman to use in her invisible plane and STILL not be seen. He must have had binoculars honed in to even spot Mr15 from 5 houses away.

Nevertheless, he will do a goofball thing again and because we said no and he decides to do it anyway. He pulls things aprt and shreds paper and fiddles like you wouldn't believe. But he has a kind heart and sweetie... gotta love those ADHD kids

Oh and this is the kid who will get his learners permit when he passes Summer School courtesy of his mother. Anyone else scared yet? Police callouts complete with helicopter, loses everything that isn't permanently attached to his body. I can't wait!

But as DH says "He is not driving our cars. No way. Not until he is at least 17. And this will be on his mother's insurance." I expect the CS for the last 3.5 yrs will be paying SOME of the increased premium.

--------------------
If I can't be part of the solution I insist on being most of the problem

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LeAnne
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 08/18/05
Loc: missouri
Re: Will he NEVER learn? [Re: KiwiGirl]
      #414908 - 06/18/08 08:49 AM

I don't know if the "METH" is as bad up there, as it is here, but the propane, is used to cook the meth down here. They watch the propane places, pretty close here, because of the meth cookers. Alot of places have installed camera's, in their storage yards. Maybe the old guy, thought he was going in to steal some of it?

--------------------
Empty Nesting

KiwiGirl
Carpal \'Tunnel

Funny you should say that [Re: LeAnne]
      #414914 - 06/18/08 08:57 AM

Meth is a problem up here. However the propane business is a block away and Mr15 was like 6 ft from our back fence. Still, I appreciate your post. I had never thought of that and will keep an eye out because who knows who could access the place through the back of the property.

The old guy? Hmmm, Nebraskan... don't know if the meth thought had occurred to him. He has enough problems keeping trak of his Yard Waste bins on trash day.

--------------------

LeAnne
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Funny you should say that [Re: KiwiGirl]
      #414929 - 06/18/08 09:20 AM

We have one of those nosey neighbors next to the shop. Before we remodeled, he was complaining all the time. He drives the city Park guys nuts, he calls to tell them when they have a bulb burnt out. Calls the cops on kids in the park. He wasn't too bad, when he was still working, but he retired a few years back. Now he has nothing better to do, but to peep out his windows. He had a heart attack, probably 6 months ago, so now he cruises around on a bike, spying on everybody. He will even call me to tell me my dumpster lid is open.

I am so glad I have NO NEIGHBORS at home.

--------------------
Empty Nesting

PrincessJ
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/25/07
Loc: 39.10 degrees North 94.58 degr...
Re: Will he NEVER learn? [Re: LeAnne]
      #414940 - 06/18/08 09:32 AM

Are you having problems with copper theft in your area? People are stealing copper like CRAZY here in my area.

--------------------
I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it.
--Jack Handey

PrincessJ
Carpal \'Tunnel

#414943 - 06/18/08 09:34 AM

KG,

I hate the airsoft guns. My ex got the boys those guns and its nerve wracking, IMO. My ex damaged his eye with a BB back when he was 12. Why would you get your kids those things?

That's just me, though. I don't really take risks, period, with the boys.

--------------------
--Jack Handey

MaritimeGuy
addict

Reged: 04/15/08
Re: Funny you should say that [Re: LeAnne]
      #414948 - 06/18/08 09:37 AM

Well if your shop ever gets broken into you'll be pretty sure to have a witness. Apparently he watches everything like a hawk.

My girlfriend has neighbours like that. When I was out there building her deck last fall he stood there and watched me the whole time making suggestions as to how I could do things better. On one hand you don't want to be rude...on the other hand you do.

MaritimeGuy
addict

Reged: 04/15/08
Re: Will he NEVER learn? [Re: PrincessJ]
      #414950 - 06/18/08 09:41 AM

I wouldn't say there's anything necessarily wrong with the guns themselves...if you use them as an opportunity to teach responsible use of them. I hazard to say holding the dog dish while someone else shoots at it probably doesn't fit in that category.

Tweeby
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/05/04
      #414960 - 06/18/08 09:55 AM

My kids have pellet guns and real guns. They are to use both in the same manner. Shooting at the dogs dish with someone holding it, well the kids would be in deep doo doo here.

The paint ball guns CAN hurt. When the kids have paint ball wars (the only guns they are allowed to shoot at other people with) they have to be "shot" 1st with the paint ball gun before they can play. The reason? You can tell anyone not to aim or shoot in the head or face but it still can happen. Once the kids KNOW that the paint ball hitting them hurts, well they are a bit more careful. The paint balls wars are typically not done in warmer weather since the kids wear layers, helmets, and eye protection.

We are a BIG on gun safety in the home. I would perfer a real gun over a bb gun anyday. Kids tend to think that bb guns are toys when it fact they can be very harmful. So the kids have to treat the bb and soft pellet guns as if they are 'real' guns.

LeAnne
Carpal \'Tunnel

#414965 - 06/18/08 09:58 AM

Yup, they are stealing everything. They had a cop on tv, he lives somewhere down in the city, in the old part. He pulled up to his house to find people removing his copper guttering. My brother is a heavy equipment mechanic for a big company that comes in and puts all water and sewer pipes for subdivisions, and shopping malls. He said they will come in at night and shop the copper off at the concrete.

--------------------
Empty Nesting

PrincessJ
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Will he NEVER learn? [Re: LeAnne]
      #414968 - 06/18/08 10:02 AM

They do that to all the AC units around here. At night, they get on top of buildings and ripp it all out. People come in the next day, try to flip on the AC. No AC. Crazy.

--------------------
--Jack Handey

PrincessJ
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Will he NEVER learn? [Re: Tweeby]
      #414973 - 06/18/08 10:04 AM

I tend to be a bit "over the top" when it comes to general safety. My ex and I used to go to the lake for the weekends but it was so STRESSFUL for me, I quit going. My biggest fear is losing a child in the lake. Even good swimmers drown in the lake. Going to the lake for the weekend is NOT relaxing, at all, for me.

Pellet guns, guns in general, are not allowed at my house. I'm mean like that.

--------------------
--Jack Handey

LeAnne
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Funny you should say that [Re: MaritimeGuy]
      #414989 - 06/18/08 10:18 AM

It is kinda funny, that you say I will have a witness? When we remodeled, we put in camera's on the outside. I can watch the shop from home. The shop is wired like Fort Knox. One night I forgot to close the office window. Customer dropped a car off late at night, the Crash sensor in the office went off when he shut the car door. Lights and Sirens going off everywhere.
Funny thing about the old guy, we could never have a car parked along the alley on his side, he would call the cops. Now that I have the camera's, I have him or his family parking on our new parking lot, on the weekends. Plus I have him on camera, putting trash in our dumpster.

He's one of those, "that's it's OK for him to do it, but nobody else better even try."

I did shut him up. When we bought the property, I had them survey all the way down to the street, and guess who built, his fence and extended concrete drive about 4 ft into the city alley? So one day he was a pissing and moaning about the shop. So I pulled out the records from 1890(I did my research), showed him the survey marker, and he has pretty much quit complaining. I told him, if he doesn't quit calling the cops, I will go to the city, show them how he is over the boundary, and the city will come down and remove his stuff from the alley, with a DOZER.

--------------------
Empty Nesting

BB1
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 10/26/05
Loc: MD
      #415108 - 06/18/08 12:54 PM

"(Mr16 had YSS/Mr15 holding the bowl and every so often we heard an 'ow!' when he got hit)"

-------------ROFLMAO!!!!!!! The visual made me chuckle!

You know what...he is really not being THAT stupid. He is just being a 15 year old boy. Most of the time they don't listen or they ignore what was said.

First thought - Thankfully the neighbor is looking out for people. I know the cops and aircraft is a bit over the sanity line but there are SO many weapons on the market that look like toys. Example, I found a pink camo rifle...Looks like a Barbie gun (I'm going to buy it someday, btw). The general population looks at shape now-a-days, not color. It's the society we live in. Maybe neighbor man was paranoid but maybe he thought he was going to save someone's life. Our society has put us in total caution mode.

Second thought - He didn't break any laws, just ignored his dad's request. I see your frustration, really I do but remember, this is a minor event in his life. A week ago you were thanking the stars he wasn't in IA at Boyscout Camp.

Would you like to send him to VA for a month? We need help in the garden and cutting the acreage...and he can carry his toy gun around without having to worry about scaring anyone except the groundhogs.

--------ETA---- My son has a video of him and his friends from when they were 16. One boy was running back and forth in his boxers, hiding behind trees while the other boys shot him with paintballs. All through the video you could hear him going ouch, ouch, ouch...Then they'd all snicker. Then the next week one of the other boys would be the one in boxers running. I didn't agree with it but I did laugh at the video.

--------------------
It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I'm wearing Milk Bone underwear.

Edited by BB1 (06/18/08 12:57 PM)

jil_stevens
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 07/31/06
      #415124 - 06/18/08 01:22 PM

Oh man.... it is a major problem here with copper theft! SO works for the utility company, and he has been working SOOOO much trying to keep lights lit...as soon as they get them up again it seems someone steals the copper. What a pain!!

And too bad about the gun, that neighbor is just too nosey for his own good, but maybe he meant well. We have nosey neighbors as well...we have a corner house, so they are directly behind our yard. But at least they are nosey in a good way...we know nobody will ever break in through our back yard!

We worried when we moved in, because they are an older couple, and we have three young, noisy boys. So we let them know if the kids got too wild and bothered them, let us know. But just the opposite. They had three boys as well, who are grown and on their own, so they love to sit out back and listen to our boys running around and yelling. A couple of years ago, my two were at their dad's, and SS had gone to Panama with his mom, and she came over inquiring about the kids because they missed the noise, LOL. They even found it funny when SS and YDS blew their rain gauge off the fence with a beebee gun. And this was a small, no power gun, so they had to have hitting it close range and multiple times. Their reason? They wondered what would happen...

KiwiGirl
Carpal \'Tunnel

#415200 - 06/18/08 01:57 PM

The airsoft gun is so low key it is about 1 step above a water pistol. The thing has a trajectory of about 10 yds and then the pellets hit ground. The internal workings is all spring loaded. It cost about $40 at Wally World. That should give you some idea about how powerful it is.

Both boys know about marksmanship. Mr16 got his military marksman badge in Australia and it is the only 1 of 2 badges the ROTC will permit him to wear form Australia. Mr15 knows about guns, knows his dad keeps 2 guns in the house and has never messed with them. He just hasn't. The 'mystique' is just not there.

As for the dog bowl... it is about 18 inches wide and basically like a huge pie dish. Dog#1 destroyed everything else.

Nosey neighbours.... I know all about those. We had a neighbour in NZ who would call the previous owners of our house (my parents for Petes Sake!) and [censored] them out about the kids making a noise or we hadn't cut our grass or there was too much water running off our roof and property and DOWNHILL, under the fence they put up 20 yrs ago and into their garage. Yup, right onto that. I will stop it raining and world peace can wait a day or so.

And yes, I am always grateful I have Mr15 around to crab at. We nearly lost him nearly 4 yrs ago when he broke both legs and lost his spleen in a nasty bike vs car accident. In a coma for 3 days.

He is the kid that would look at a Kinex rollercoaster box, pull out the parts and build the thing from the box lid. He is lots of fun but every time we hear a siren we wonder....

--------------------

jil_stevens
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 07/31/06
      #415235 - 06/18/08 02:09 PM

ROFL!! Okay, all of ours are good kids individually, but especially, SS and YDS...when they get together, watch out! It's like Pinky and the Brain then...we laugh that they each have half of a really good idea, and together, they might destroy the world.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 51 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1480

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: