Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Stepfamily Issues

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
PrincessJ
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/25/07
Loc: 39.10 degrees North 94.58 degr...
Vent----I broke the news to DS8....
      #419122 - 06/25/08 09:04 AM

...that they will be having a "normal" July visitation with dad. What is normal you ask? Well, during the month of July, per our divorce decree, he gets them every day and night EXCEPT the 2nd and 4th weekends. I have them then.

I wasn't going to say anything about it at all because of our scheduled trial date of July 1st. I figured this arrangement would change depending upon what happens July 1st. One thing the ex and I BOTH agreed upon and planned to change was that the July schedule not only did NOT work with his current schedule, but it also was not good or enjoyable for the kids. So, we intended to eliminate the July schedule and, instead, spread it out over the year.

My youngest was making all kinds of plans for 4th of July and the week after, knowing his favorite cousin would be in town. Since we won't be going to court, however, we won't be changing July and the kids would be with the ex.

I finally said, "Sweety, before you start planning things in your mind, you remember its July and you're with your dad, right?"

He said,"WHAT???!!! Dad told me he was going to get rid of the July schedule when you guys go to trial on the first!"

(I did NOT, have NOT nor will I ever, discuss trial with my kids. He got this from his father, which is really what this vent is about. I'm just really ticked he is detailing the trial to an 8 year old kid. Its a big people issue. He's a child.)

So, I explained that trial might not happen and he should just assume its our normal schedule. He was visibly bothered. He said, "I hated what we did last year. I hate July. We spend most of it with 1st ex wife or SM."

I said, "I'm sorry, sweetie. You can talk with your dad about it. I'm sure he wants to know how you feel. I have talked to him too and he knows I am available if he needs someone to watch you guys. PLUS, you're only a couple blocks away. Maybe you can ride your bike by and just say hi from time to time if you're bored! Talk to dad about that and I will too!"

So, its bedtime and I remind DS12 that he needs to brush his teeth. I've always joked with them that if they don't brush their teeth, they'll rot out of their head & they'll be doomed to fake teeth and eating baby food. (I say it while pretending to have no teeth myself. DS8 always cracks up.) I also said jokingly, "Your cavitieis are EXPENSIVE. Don't get any more!"

DS12 says, "Well, if you would put us on dad's insurance, it would have been completely covered. When you go to trial, dad says you won't be paying $600 a month for health insurance because he can get it for $200 a month."

So, once again, I have to tell a kid that this is big people stuff and he is a little kid. Its really not appropriate to be involved in issues like this. I also asked, "Geez, does dad just tell you EVERYTHING about our trial?"

DS12 said, "Not everything, but a lot." He smiled when he told me. I didn't prod but this is just getting ridiculous.

Why on earth do you tell KIDS?

<vent over>

--------------------
I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it.
--Jack Handey

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Spring
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/02/04
Re: Vent----I broke the news to DS8.... [Re: PrincessJ]
      #419161 - 06/25/08 09:57 AM

I'm sorry for your 8 year old. I don't really understand why some adults involve their kids in these matters. It puts them smack in the middle...and its hurtful. BM does that all the time as well, and all I can tell you is that it doesn't do well for her.

Kids want to be kids...they do not want the burden of adult crap...I wish adults understood that.

--------------------
Never consider the possibility of failure; as long as you persist, you will be successful.

PrincessJ
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Vent----I broke the news to DS8.... [Re: Spring]
      #419166 - 06/25/08 10:01 AM

I'm really ticked about the July thing, too. It's only 4 weeks, I know but the ex and I totally agreed on this issue. I mean, heck, it took DS8 2 weeks to "recover" from July. The first night back home, a little neighbor girl came over because she was so excited DS8 was home. DS8 wanted nothing to do with her and literally sat on my lap and cried because he was so glad to be home. We had two different instances when DS8 was invted to spend the night with friends following the July schedule. DS8 agreed to go but then right around bedtime, in BOTH instances, insisted to go home and did come home. In tears.

I know the kid will be fine but what is the point of dragging him thru the stress when we BOTH agree its not healthy for him?

--------------------
--Jack Handey

MaritimeGuy
addict

Reged: 04/15/08
      #419184 - 06/25/08 10:29 AM

I agree it's inappropriate to involve the kids in these matters. To this day I have no idea if my kids even know I pay their mother on their behalf. I've certainly never told them.

My girlfriend (who's daughter is grown now) told me one time when she was firing letters back and forth with her ex disputing CS she discovered he was showing their daughter all her correspondence.

I guess for some it's more about 'winning' then it is about arriving at a workable solution for all concerned. Part of 'winning' in their minds seems to be getting the kids 'on their side'. It's pathetic if you ask me.

PrincessJ
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Vent----I broke the news to DS8.... [Re: MaritimeGuy]
      #419188 - 06/25/08 10:34 AM

I really can't figure it out, though, MG. My ex USED to be an attoreny, you would think he would know better.

--------------------
--Jack Handey

ssmom79
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/27/07
      #419197 - 06/25/08 10:43 AM

"I guess for some it's more about 'winning' then it is about arriving at a workable solution for all concerned. Part of 'winning' in their minds seems to be getting the kids 'on their side'. It's pathetic if you ask me."

That's exactly what it is. I watched it with the SK's when their Mom went through her second divorce. It got to the point where the kids asked us to talk to their Mom and tell her to stop because it made them uncomfortable but they didn't want to hurt her feelings. We did. She didn't change. No one was suprised.

I'm sorry you're going through the same thing. The only thing you can do is NOT do that and they boys will remember that.

MaritimeGuy
addict

Reged: 04/15/08
      #419211 - 06/25/08 10:52 AM

My girfriend's ex was a psychologist. Go figure...

PrincessJ
Carpal \'Tunnel

#419212 - 06/25/08 10:53 AM

[quote]My girfriend's ex was a psychologist. Go figure... [/quote]

Unbelievable....

--------------------
--Jack Handey

PrincessJ
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Vent----I broke the news to DS8.... [Re: ssmom79]
      #419217 - 06/25/08 10:54 AM

What I always tell the boys is that "these are big people issues and you guys are little people. You do not need to worry or concern yourselve." and I leave it at that.

--------------------
--Jack Handey

Relayer
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 03/13/07
Loc: Moorglade Mover
      #419222 - 06/25/08 10:56 AM

If you only live a couple of blocks from each other and it's bike riding distance, why is any of this an issue? (the cousin and stuff)

--------------------
GO CUBBIES!!!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 70 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1479

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: