Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Financial Issues

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
ona
recently joined

Reged: 11/07/05
husband to buy me out of house with equity line
      #42309 - 11/07/05 09:03 PM

My husband and I are amicably divorcing, still living in same house with kids, going through paperwork, no animosity. I am buying a home in another state and my soon-ex is going to keep the house, at least for awhile. He's trying to get our equity line increased so he can take a huge chunk out to pay me. Since we both still own the house, won't my name be on this 2nd mortgage? This doesn't seem smart, does it? Can he get an equity line without my name on it?
ona

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RJP

Reged: 10/31/05
Loc: Pierce County, WA
Re: husband to buy me out of house with equity lin [Re: ona]
      #42346 - 11/08/05 12:09 AM

Amicable divorces have a habit of becoming not so amicable. If he takes a second on a house with your name on it, I believe that your name goes on the second (the mortgage company will want all the security they can get). If he can't qualify to take out a new 1st mortgage to get your name off the house (don't do a quit claim), force a sale.

Cinder2
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Southern California
Re: husband to buy me out of house with equity lin [Re: RJP]
      #42352 - 11/08/05 02:52 AM

He needs to refinance the entire house in his own name and the amount refinanced needs to be large enough that he can buy you out. For example, if your mortgage right now is $100,000 and your house is worth $200,000, then he needs to get a loan in his own name for $150,000 so he can pay you the money he owes you.

Cinder

sandflea
addict

Reged: 09/08/05
Loc: norfolk, Virginia
Re: husband to buy me out of house with equity lin [Re: Cinder2]
      #42373 - 11/08/05 07:12 AM

My situation:

My wife wanted ~ $60,000 to buy her off the deed. Your husband is in a similar situation. He will want you to sign a quit claim deed - basically, a document taking your name off of the deed. You should put those terms in your separation agreement.

I refinanced our house (we owed $139,000 over 15 years). Re-appraisal (as a part of the refinance/loan process) came in at $300,000. I took ~ $80K, gave her $60K, kept $20 to fix up the house. This was a "cash out" refinance. So, now I owe $225K over 30 yrs. A step back, but a step forward as well.

What he can get you depends on how long you've been in your loan, how much you owe, and how much your equity has been going up. If you have any existing equity lines of credit, you'll need to settle them prior to refinancing. All liens need to be taken care of first.

You really want your name off the deed - because if he defaults - it's your credit, and your financial responsibility as well.

- SF

--------------------
Beaches, Bluegrass, Bach, Beer, Bodhisattva, Blisters, Bikes, Boats, Bhujangasana and Bayer

RJP

Reged: 10/31/05
Loc: Pierce County, WA
Re: husband to buy me out of house with equity lin [Re: sandflea]
      #42397 - 11/08/05 08:50 AM

A quit claim deed will clear your name off the title, but will not take your name off the loans. Don't do a quit claim.

Cinder2
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Southern California
Re: husband to buy me out of house with equity lin [Re: RJP]
      #42422 - 11/08/05 10:12 AM

Well, she has to sign the quit claim deed eventually. She just shouldn't do it until she is certain that he has the mortgage in his own name.

Cinder

sandflea
addict

Re: husband to buy me out of house with equity lin [Re: Cinder2]
      #42429 - 11/08/05 10:21 AM

Yep - that's what I meant by all liens, etc off of the loan. And NO - Don't sign a quit claim until you get your cash!!

--------------------
Beaches, Bluegrass, Bach, Beer, Bodhisattva, Blisters, Bikes, Boats, Bhujangasana and Bayer

matilda
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/11/04
Re: husband to buy me out of house with equity lin [Re: ona]
      #42631 - 11/08/05 08:47 PM

If he is increasing the loan amount and your name is on the loan he is increasing YOUR debt to income ratio. Depending upon how much money you make it may make it more difficult or impossible for you to qualify for a home loan in your new state. They will run your credit report and see that you owe that money as well. I agree don't sign a quit claim until he has re-financed. If you sign one and he defaults you don't have a right to try and save your credit and re-claim the house.

legalidiot
enthusiast

Reged: 05/06/05
Re: husband to buy me out of house with equity lin [Re: matilda]
      #42678 - 11/09/05 03:42 AM

A little word of advice. Try to make sure it's fair. If you don't.. he'll never agree. I have a friend who went through this same thing. The house was appraised at $230,000 - They owed $170,000. He could only get a loan to finance for $190,000 and offered to give her the 20K. She refused to take it, insisting on the entire $30K in equity, and forced the sale. It turned out the appraisal was too high, the house sold for $200,000, and after the realtors were paid (6% - 12,000), necessary repairs were made(4,000). They both got a check for $8,000.

--------------------
Keep the relationship problems away from the kids

sandflea
addict

Re: husband to buy me out of house with equity lin [Re: matilda]
      #42703 - 11/09/05 08:58 AM

That's right. He need to do a cash out Refinance ON HIS OWN! Just his credit, just his name on the loan. This has to be a new loan, just his, to buy you out. Otherwise he's just dumping more debt on both of you.

I contacted a lender (USAA), had them send me a packet (they're more than willing to) - just to me. My name, my SSN, my credit, etc. They'll schedule the appraisal, etc.

I had a great deal of success with Freedom morgage (fhmc.com). Their appraisers seem to come in high. He needs to get enough cash to pay off other loans (they'll ask him), and to buy you off the deed. Yes - be fair. How much has your place accrued equity over the life of your existing loan? How much do you still owe? Did you contribute equally to the morgage (weighted for your respective incomes)? Show him SOLID numbers, and he'll bite. Sooner the better, interest rates are going UP!

- SF

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5955

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: