Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

State Specific Community Forums >> California Issues

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
recently joined

Reged: 10/21/08
Posts: 9
Disabled +adulterous wife. How to get spousal supp
      #465741 - 10/21/08 12:07 PM

I have been sick since Sep 2006. I got separated in July 2007 after discovering adultery by my wife. I went on disability immediately after separation (before that I had been working somehow but the adultery shoock was too much to bear and my condition worsened).
Our marriage lasted little less than 5 years. Now the insurance company is creating problems in extending disability. My disability is 85K while my estranged spouse makes approx 120K (including stock options). I am in early thirties and my chance of joining workforce are close to nil.
The divorce process will start now though I filed for it in August 2007. Can I ask for spousal support given that
a)The disability company is not paying up (I suffer from rare pain problem so it is difficult to convince insurance company of the extent of the problem. I myself can't get out of bed and keep on running between the docs to get more and more documentation)
b) She makes more income and my chances of rejoining workforce are very low)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  

Reged: 01/03/08
Posts: 502
Re: Disabled +adulterous wife. How to get spousal supp [Re: johnconway]
      #467371 - 10/23/08 04:47 PM

With a 5 year marriage it will be difficult to get SS. I suggest you look into government disability if your private policy disability won't pay anymore.

Unless you have solid proof confirmed by a doctor of your inability to work you may have your income imputed to your last verifiable income. In that case, your incomes will be so similar (is yours even higher than hers when working full-time?) there is an even lower chance of SS.

Many spouses find their wives or husbands have cheated on them and are not incapacitated by it. It seems to me you will need to find a way to get past this independently and without your wife's income to help. Was there any equity in the home accrued during that time (or other assets)? You would be entitled to your portion of the marital assets accrued during the marriage.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Topic views: 2607

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home


Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: