Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Child Support

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)
googledad
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 12/31/05
Re: child support [Re: preemiemom]
      #602415 - 11/21/09 09:07 AM

Please go thru history and see how often I post on this board....as opposed to you. So "gigglesnort" yourself.

preemiemom
Carpal \'Tunnel
Reged: 01/17/07
Loc: New York

googledad
Carpal \'Tunnel
Reged: 12/31/05

16,000 posts in 34 months to 4789 in 47 months . Nuff said .

--------------------
Careful. We don't want to learn from this.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Miranda
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: North of Mexico
Re [Re: cherokee]
      #602416 - 11/21/09 09:14 AM

SERVICEMEMBERS' CIVIL RELIEF ACT (SCRA)
INTRODUCTION
The Servicemembers Civil Relief ACT (SCRA), Public Law 108-109, strengthens the rights of servicemembers entering active duty by easing economic and legal burdens. Several of the SCRA provisions directly affect child support enforcement. The SCRA applies to civil court actions, state and federal administrative actions, but not criminal proceedings.

WHO IS INCLUDED
The SCRA applies to active duty servicemembers. Armed forces reservists and National Guard members are also under protection of the SCRA when called to active service by the President or the Secretary of Defense for a period of thirty (30) consecutive days.

WAIVER OF RIGHTS (SCRA)
Servicemembers can sign a waiver if they agree for Child Support Enforcement (CSE) to establish paternity and/or support when the NCP is unable to come to the CSE office or court. They must do this during or immediately after their period of military service, in a separate document that refers to the support order to which the waiver applies. CSE must attach the waiver to the support order.

A servicemember's legal representative has the authority to sign a waiver on his/her behalf. The SCRA defines the legal representative as an attorney working on behalf of the servicemember or an individual who possesses a power of attorney from the servicemember.

If the legal representative signs a waiver on behalf of the servicemember, CSE must attach a copy of the power of attorney to the waiver form. If the case is before the court, these documents should be submitted to the court as evidence.

STAY OF PROCEEDINGS WHEN THE SERVICEMEMBER HAS NOTICE (SCRA)
When a court hearing has been initiated, the SCRA provides the servicemember with at least a 90-day automatic stay of proceedings if he/she supplies the court with a letter or other communication (e-mail, fax, or similar “permanent” type of communication) that includes:

1. The facts stating why current military duty prevents the servicemember from coming to court;

2. A date when the servicemember will be available to appear in court;

3. An additional letter or other communication from the servicemember's commanding officer, stating that the servicemember's current military duty prevents the NCP from appearing in court and that military leave is not authorized at the time of the letter.

Servicemembers can apply for an additional stay of proceedings based on their continuing inability to appear due to military duty. The same information that is required for the initial stay must be included in the later request.

Before the subsequent court hearing date, CSE should communicate with the servicemember and his/her commanding officer to make sure that the servicemember will be available at the next hearing. If necessary, the commanding officer should be reminded about DOD Directive 1327.5, which states that when a servicemember requests leave due to the need to attend hearings to determine paternity and/or establish child support, leave will be granted, unless the servicemember is currently deployed or in a situation that requires a denial of the request.

Requests for additional stay of proceedings by servicemembers are up to the court. If the court refuses to grant the stay, then the court must appoint an attorney to represent the servicemember.

If the court denies the initial request for a stay of proceedings or any later request for a stay because the NCP did not meet the criteria to make a request, then the court does not have to appoint an attorney to represent the servicemember. If this is the case, then the court can enter a final order.

The servicemember cannot request a stay of proceeding if he/she makes the request later than ninety (90) days after termination or release from the military service.

PRIOR TO DEFAULT JUDGMENTS (SCRA)
Affidavit Regarding Military Service –
Child Support Enforcement must file an affidavit with the court prior to the entry of default judgment that indicates whether or not the defendant is in the military, or that CSE does not know whether or not the defendant is in the military.

CSE should submit the affidavit to the court at the same time as the entry of the default judgment except when the servicemember has signed a SCRA waiver.

The Department of Defense (DOD) has a website where CSE workers can obtain a certificate stating whether or not an NCP is a servicemember. An affidavit can be based on this certificate, indicating whether an individual is a servicemember or not.

If it appears that the NCP is a servicemember, then the court cannot enter a judgment until after the court appoints an attorney to represent the defendant.

In addition, it is mandatory for the court to grant a stay of proceedings for a minimum of ninety (90) days if:

1. A defense to the action might exist that cannot be presented without the presence of the defendant;

2. The court-appointed attorney has been unable to contact the defendant; or

3. The court-appointed attorney certifies that a valid defense exists.

If the court-appointed attorney cannot contact the servicemember, actions by the attorney in the case do not prevent the servicemember from petitioning the court to reopen a default judgment.

AFTER AN ENTRY OF DEFAULT JUDGMENT (SCRA)
If the servicemember later wants to reopen the default judgment, these conditions must be met:

1. CSE failed to file the prerequisite affidavit at the time of entry of default judgment;

2. The default judgment was taken against the servicemember during his/her period of military duty or within sixty (60) days of termination of active duty;

3. The motion to reopen the judgment was filed within at least ninety (90) days of the servicemember's termination from active duty;

4. The servicemember's defense to the action was affected by reason of his/ her military service; and

5. The servicemember had a valid defense to the action.

If it is determined that the servicemember's military duties affected his/her ability to comply with a court order or judgment that was initiated against that servicemember before or during active duty military service or within ninety (90) after active duty service ends, then the court can:

1. Stay the execution of any judgment or order entered against him/ her, and;

2. Vacate or stay any attachment or garnishment of property, money, or debts in the possession of the servicemember.

If the servicemember fails to move to reopen the judgment within ninety (90) days from termination of active duty, the order cannot be reopened.

TEMPORARY ORDERS (SCRA)
The court has the authority to enter a temporary child support order, without having to follow the requirements of filing an affidavit and having to appoint an attorney for the servicemember. In addition, the court has the authority to enter other temporary orders, such as an order requiring the servicemember to submit to paternity testing or answer interrogatories.

GUARANTEE OF RESIDENCY FOR MILITARY PERSONNEL (SCRA)
A servicemember who is absent from a state in compliance with military orders is not considered to have lost residency in that state whether or not he/she intends to return to that state. The servicemember shall not be considered to have become a resident of any other state.

HEALTH INSURANCE REINSTATEMENT (SCRA)
SCRA includes a provision guaranteeing that an individual's personal health insurance which was terminated because of entry into military service must be reinstated upon release from military service without any exclusions or waiting periods. The servicemember must apply for the reinstatement of the health insurance within one hundred-twenty (120) days after termination or release from military service.

--------------------
13.1...because I am only half crazy!

Cassie23
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 10/07/05
Re: How DARE you and Almost... [Re: cherokee]
      #602418 - 11/21/09 09:33 AM

cherokee- What is your current CS order? How much and based on what incomes?

preemiemom
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 01/17/07
Re: child support [Re: googledad]
      #602434 - 11/21/09 12:41 PM

Wow you really ARE dense... I meant THIS board... Child Support.

Avaya
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 02/09/06
Loc: Arkansas
Re: How often does he see the child... [Re: cherokee]
      #602484 - 11/21/09 10:55 PM

[quote] i mean really any body would say how do you raise a 6 year old on less then $10 bucks a day, give him all the needs of everyday [/quote]

That's just what his father provides. You have to provide some too, so nobody is saying the child should be raised on less than $10 per day.

--------------------
Eternity is too long to be wrong.

cherokee

Reged: 11/19/09
Re: Weeellll...honestly... [Re: preemiemom]
      #602491 - 11/22/09 04:08 AM

according to a lawyer even if i was working, the ex still has to pay 17% for child support in ny state. that amount does not change because i work or not. he goes to kindergarten for about 3 hours per day, i can't get a job until he's full time school. there is no money for someone to watch him..

Cassie23
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Weeellll...honestly... [Re: cherokee]
      #602496 - 11/22/09 08:14 AM

Yes, it doesn't make a difference really unless you were making more than the NCP. BUT as the posters stated above YOU should be contributing to the financial wellbeing of your son too. If you were making $$ then a portion of that would be going towards his support. If he is making $40k in just income and not per diem, then your support (after the appropriate taxes being taken out) would be closer to $515. Yet that is JUST what HE PAYS to support your son, you should be contributing too.

In NYS there are programs that help single parents (with lower incomes) pay for daycare while they work. I know MANY mothers who are on it. They get anywhere from 75-100% of daycare paid for.

amazing

Reged: 09/18/09
      #602497 - 11/22/09 08:16 AM

Well good luck. I had 2 in diapers and one not. I couldn't work either. So I feel for you. Jobs are hard to find these days. I hope you make it.

Cassie23
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Weeellll...honestly... [Re: Cassie23]
      #602516 - 11/22/09 09:58 AM

Also I have to add, although CS in NY ends up being 17% of the NCP's income almost any way you look at it...each parent's income is used to figure out what their pro rata share is for such things as add ons (uncovered medical/dental as an example). If you are not making money you should be at the very least imputed on paper as what your income would be working FT at min. wage. If you use your income as such, and your X's income you can configure each of your shares as to what you should be giving towards your son's financial wellbeing.

Again, if you work- you should be given state help for daycare, anything left over your X would split with you in ratio to your incomes, as that is part of your CS order.

Miranda
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: North of Mexico
      #602519 - 11/22/09 11:10 AM

[quote]according to a lawyer even if i was working, the ex still has to pay 17% for child support in ny state. that amount does not change because i work or not. he goes to kindergarten for about 3 hours per day, i can't get a job until he's full time school. there is no money for someone to watch him.. [/quote]

You should be working. Staying at home while your ex supports you and your child is not in the cards for you.

--------------------
13.1...because I am only half crazy!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating:
Topic views: 28512

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: