Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Lawyer Issues

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
msk1958
recently joined

Reged: 01/16/10
I feel my lawyer did not work in my best interest
      #623106 - 01/16/10 05:40 PM

I retained a lawyer for my divorce. I told her repeatedly that I was fighting over nothing. My wife and I had agreed on everything. No fighting at all. My lawyer kept pushing for me to go after my share of money, house, everything. I told her a total of 4 times that I did not want to fight. She finally told me that she understood. So it was a surprise to me when I got a letter from my lawyer that she had written to my wifes lawyer about the division of property. I emailed her right away. She wrote back saying it was procedure to do this. I fired her the next day. She then wrote me a Email stating that I was still responsible to get my financials together and provide them to the court, and that if I did not I may be in trouble. She wrote some other things. I felt she was trying to intimidate me. I told my wife I had fired my lawyer. She was worried I acted to quickly. She then had a meeting with her lawyer. When I did get to talk to her after that meeting. She told me that her lawyer said "Well that makes everything a lot easier". So now all I have to do is wait for her lawyer to send me the papers to sign and it is done. I feel my lawyer took advantage of me for my money. I would like some feedback from anyone on their thoughts. Should I file anything against my lawyer? Thank you for your responses.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Maury
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: This Asylum --->
Re: I feel my lawyer did not work in my best interest [Re: msk1958]
      #624029 - 01/18/10 11:56 PM

There is nothing to file. Your lawyer is hired to provide you advice and explain your legal rights. Every lawyer has a different style, and, in many cases a different view. That should be part of the interviewing and ferreting process atthe beginning of a divorce. If your view does not match with the lawyer, you change lawyers.

DeeCee
addict

Reged: 10/08/07
Re: I feel my lawyer did not work in my best inter [Re: Maury]
      #629190 - 02/02/10 10:25 PM

I too feel like my lawyer has not represented my interest at all, my divorce ahas been ongoing for 3 years. Tomorrow I am going to the deposition of my husband who has blatantly withheld all information about assets..I have been my own detective finding accounts statements..the night before my lawyer calls me hedging about bringing up all the lesser value accounts..I'm livid..according to him it's no point going after the accounts that have only a few thousand dollars (wtf) This is property earned during our marriage and I feel it should be mentioned..I am livid that he is taken it upon himself to censor or withhold pertinent information ..what recourse can I take if I don't like the actions of my lawyer. And he doesn't abide by my requests?

Maury
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: This Asylum --->
Re: I feel my lawyer did not work in my best inter [Re: DeeCee]
      #630007 - 02/04/10 03:49 PM

You can spend thousands arguing about accounts where you would receive much less. As a result, often, you have to focus on the bigger issues.

If there accounts, I would certainly ask about them, but, depending on the value, I certainly would not invest a dollar to make a dime on it.

If you don't like your lawyer's strategy, you change lawyers.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2109

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: