Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Financial Issues

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
bingobumpkin
recently joined

Reged: 09/24/10
Paying for private school
      #692709 - 09/24/10 03:39 PM

Does anyone know if I am responsible for paying for private school tuition or not?

I will explain the circumstances. My ex wife left me in July 2004 and took our 5 yr old child and moved to IL and filed for divorce. WI court ordered my daughter to come back to WI in Aug 2004. Originally I had custody of our 5 year old daughter and my ex wife had visitation every other weekend. In 2004 my daughter attended public school kindergarten here in WI and by summer of 2005 my ex wife had summer placement. We settled that in the best interest of our child my ex wife would obtain full time placement in IL with me having alternated weekends. So in 2005 our child attended 1st grade in IL public school. Let me say there have been multiple issues and court proceeding until now due to my ex’s unreasonable nature and failing to follow court orders that I am now pro se for all issues and court due to expenses. Anyways in 2006 my ex enrolled our daughter in a private Christian school without my knowledge. I found out talking to my daughter on the phone that she was attending a new school in a couple of weeks. I confronted my ex and she stated that I did not have to pay any of the tuition and refused to sign a document stating this. My daughter has been attending a private school since 2006. I received a letter from my ex in 2007 stating that she wanted half of the tuition cost and involved her attorney. I told them both that I was not going to pay since she did not consult or have my approval. Did not hear anything else on the subject and was dropped. My ex started again in 2010 refusing my vacations and court ordered visitations that we went back to court again for a change of physical placement. I was awarded summer placement and extra holiday time. Now we are back in court again for a modification of child support. With all my extra placement dates it is now a shared placement and child support will go down and my ex is not happy. With shared placement support the judge can include variable cost which includes school tuitions. My ex is now requesting variable costs including the school’s tuition of $5000 a year. Should I have to pay this cost now since my ex did not have my permission or even consult me about private school? There was no reason for our daughter to attend private school instead of a public school in the first place. Any help or answers someone could give me would be great. Since my ex enrolled my daughter in a private school after the divorce was finalized, it is not stipulated in the decree that I must pay. Thanks in advance for any help.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
finz
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/17/08
Re: Paying for private school [Re: bingobumpkin]
      #693356 - 09/27/10 09:20 PM

I would argue that as your ex has been paying the full tuition for the last 4 years that she should continue to pay it

I don't have any experience in this area, so I'm going by what I think is right, not what I know to be correct in family court.

I wish you luck.

Fishergirl
addict

Reged: 12/06/08
Re: Paying for private school [Re: finz]
      #694714 - 10/02/10 02:56 PM

The simple answer is no. My cousin is going through about the same issue. They just got divorced and frankly he just cant afford to send his kids to private school. Next year the kids will go to public school unless his ex agrees to pay for it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3654

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: