Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Tax Issues

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
KoalaGirl
recently joined

Reged: 01/08/11
Claiming Dependents....My Fiasco
      #723976 - 01/13/11 05:46 PM

Divorce Decree filed 2003
I am CP and have the 2 children all but breaks and summer.

Divorce Decree states: One child to each parent, daughter to the mother and son to the Father. Obligor must be current with the prior 12 months of all child suppport obligations to be eligble to take the tax exemption for son. Should hte obligor fail to be current by Jan 15 for the prior tax year, the tax exemptions shall both go to the mother.

So for year 2006, he was behind in c/s as stated above. Not by much but he was.

I filed and claimed both children. He filed and claimed our son.

Because he got his in first, my return was rejected. I didn't even realize it had been rejected.

Fast forward 4 years..I start getting IRS notices that I owe almost $6k. You would think it would be pretty easy to straighten it all out right?

That's the furthest thing from the truth. Upon me calling to find out what I needed to do, I was faced with IRS reps that were reciting from a script basically. I had to prove that I was the cp and they were with me more than 50% of the time. None of them could really tell me EXACTLY what I needed to send in to prove it though.

So I gathered school records, birth certs, social security cards, shot records and sent it all in. I called a few weeks later...they claim they didn't get it.

Ok let's try round 2...faxed again. Called and called and called and called. After about 6 weeks I just gave up. I fed exed them in.

For now all was good..they were reviewing and would let me know. No garnishments or collections at this time. Whew.

Didn't hear from them again. I filed my 2009 return..it was intercepted as I thought it would be while there were figuring it out.

Last week, started getting notices again..balance down to $3500 (because of my refund that they kept).

I called AGAIN. Case closed...they denied my appeal. WHAT??? I finally broke down into tears and the lady FINALLY started telling me exactly what I needed to prove I was head of household (never even heard that I needed to prove that before a few days ago) , letter from the school and EXACTLY what it needed to state, a copy of the divorce decree (I sent in the wrong parts and it wasn't complete).

I called the Advocacy line and got assigned a rep. I just finished faxing EVERYTHING they asked for ...to the T.

Here's where it gets intersting. According to Publication 504, a ncp can claim a child as dependent if:

If the divorce decree or separation agreement went into effect after 1984 and before 2009, the noncustodial parent an attach certain pages from the decree or agreement instead of Form 8332, provided that these pages are ubstantially similar to Form 8332. To be able to do this, the decree or agreement must state all three of the following.

1. The noncustodial parent can claim the child as a dependent without regard to any condition, such as payment of support.
2. The custodial parent will not claim the child as a dependent for the year.
3. The years for which the noncustodial parent, rather than the custodial parent can claim the child as a dependent.

Number 1 is the important one for me. Our decree does have a condition. So what that means for me is that they will not look to the decree in making the determination. It will be made stricly on who had the kids more. That's what is important to note here, if your decree HAS a condition (and it doesn't matter what the condition is or if the condition was met), they will not honor or refer to the dd.

We will see how all of this turns out in the next 2 weeks. I will try and come back and post the results.

I hope this information helps others.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Avaya
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 02/09/06
Loc: Arkansas
Re: Claiming Dependents....My Fiasco [Re: KoalaGirl]
      #724174 - 01/14/11 08:25 AM

Since the children are always going to be your dependents according to IRS, perhaps you could offer no increase in Child Support in exchange for you always claiming the children. His CS may not be very high, but you get the benefit of the deductions and the child tax credit ($2000) each year. Just the credit is the equivalent of $167 extra per month that you benefit and he does not even though he is helping to support the children that you are claiming on your tax returns.

--------------------
Eternity is too long to be wrong.

Miranda
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: North of Mexico
      #725221 - 01/18/11 11:45 AM

Why did you not seek and accountant or tax pro to help you with this? It is just like court, if you go in pro se odds are not in your favor. You go in with someone well versed in IRS jargon and your odds improve greatly.

We had to go back and ammend 3 years of returns. There was no way we could have done this without help of a tax pro.

--------------------
13.1...because I am only half crazy!

KoalaGirl
recently joined

Re: Claiming Dependents....My Fiasco [Re: Miranda]
      #725381 - 01/19/11 07:02 AM

Miranda...looking back I now realize I should have. It's like anything else, you know in your heart what is right, you aren't trying to cheat anyone or do anything illegal so you think it should be cut and dry. Well, it's not. The IRS laws are so convoluted it's insane.

Now I'm being told I have to get bank statements from 2006 to show payments made to mortgage...to prove head of household. It's the IRS..don't they have my 1098 from my mortgage company that SHOWS I paid nearly 15k in interest???? I'm pretty sure they do. Sheesh.

Would you mind giving a bit more detail on your situation? Why did you ammend returns?

Avaya
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 02/09/06
Loc: Arkansas
      #725390 - 01/19/11 08:00 AM

Quote:

Why did you ammend returns?

Because something originally filed was incorrect or incomplete.

--------------------
Eternity is too long to be wrong.

Miranda
Carpal \'Tunnel

#725397 - 01/19/11 08:07 AM

We had a bad accountant that told us only one person could file college tuition. Both my husband and myself were in Grad school at the time. That information was incorrect so we were owed more money from Uncle Sam. Ammending our returns gave us another 7K back in refunds.

I believe we filed a 1040X for the returns, why can't you do the same?

--------------------

KoalaGirl
recently joined

#725407 - 01/19/11 08:19 AM

Miranda..good for you, it's nice to know that the process actually does work. lol.

In my situation, it's not that I need to CHANGE my return, it's that I have to prove my items on the return (head of household status and 2 dependents).

This deal is worth about 6k to me at this point. It may also affect other years after this also once I know their decision.

I just filed 2010 yesterday and claimed both children again because surprise surprise, he is behind on his child support again. This time, I filed first so it's going to be up to him to prove he had the kids more than 50% of the time (he didn't) and that he wasn't behind on c/s by Jan 15th (which he was).

Miranda
Carpal \'Tunnel

#725457 - 01/19/11 10:13 AM

I am thinking that the HOH status is what the problem is versus the kids. The IRS does not get involved with custody issues and since the kids lived with you I don't see why you would have an issue with it.

When my husband's ex did this, back in the late 90's, all we would do what send in a paper return and fax them a copy of the court order. Never had a problem, I am sure she did.

You know you can file comtempt on him for this and ask for punitive damages. What a hot mess...

--------------------

KoalaGirl
recently joined

#725951 - 01/20/11 05:45 PM

Update: Went down to the advocates office and hand delivered all my paperwork. I think it's looking good but then again, they are the IRS and they could deny it based on the color of the paper. Sheesh.

I should know something in a few weeks.

Miranda
Carpal \'Tunnel

#725960 - 01/20/11 06:53 PM

I am an adjunct college professor and one of my adjunct coworkers works full time for the IRS in Austin, TX. He is a complete ASS that gets off on harassing folks. And he has told me that if he knows a person is retired military member that retired at the rank of Colonel or above he gives them an extra hard time. Nice...

--------------------

KoalaGirl
recently joined

#725980 - 01/20/11 08:29 PM

OMG....like dealing with the IRS isn't hard enough and then to get an a$$ on top of that....ugh.

My advocate lady is very nice, she worked for the actual IRS for 26 years or something. Hopefully by meeting me in person, she will now know that I am a real person, not just some ssn.

KoalaGirl
recently joined

#732347 - 02/22/11 11:33 AM

Good news..! The advocate called and said the IRS ACCEPTED my documentation this time and I will be getting a refund from them for the amount they intercepted. Yeah!

Miranda
Carpal \'Tunnel

#732638 - 02/23/11 11:21 AM

Quote:

Good news..! The advocate called and said the IRS ACCEPTED my documentation this time and I will be getting a refund from them for the amount they intercepted. Yeah!

Great News. Big monkey off of your back.

--------------------

Goodmom
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/17/07
      #777351 - 02/10/12 06:19 AM

Quote:

When your ex finds out that he owes the IRS a sh*tload of money because he filed incorrectly, he's probably going to take it out on you. You may want to let all of his calls go to voicemail if you don't already.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7310

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: