Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Saving Your Marriage

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
nuk
recently joined

Reged: 04/17/11
Going through limbo stage of a separation...
      #741877 - 04/17/11 10:10 PM

Hello, I have been married for almost 4 years now and am going through a separation initiated by my wife. Six-weeks ago, my wife and I had an argument. It was one of those that was festering for some time; especially on her end. I had been working a lot and didn't give her the attention she deserved/needed. A small argument turned into something bigger. It got to a point where she called some family that lives in the area to come pick her up. The problem is that once that happened, her family got involved as did mine. The family that picked her up was my cousin and his wife. The next day, my cousin requested that the both of us meet (with him there) to talk about our issues. Once we met, she requested a two-month separation where we would participate in marital counseling and I would also do anger management on my own. I did not feel that I needed anger management as when I get upset, I tend to shut off. However, I do admit that small things make me upset and cause me to shut down towards her. Therefore, I agreed with the anger management to save my marriage. During this month, I have learned, through her parents, that she leased a room (not sure how long) at school (She is a Senior in college). Now, I have also learned that she isn't ready to go to counseling together and would like a separation for six months. She wants six months with little to no contact so we can take time to reflect on the issues. She has spoken at one time or another to a mutual friend and to someone in my family. Both times she stated that she still wants to work this out but is scared to come home at this point and needs time. She didn't take much when she moved out and still hasn't come back for the rest of her things. I did get an email from her last week stating that she is going to independent counseling and listing issues that she would like for me to work on in counseling. My question is, do people do no-contact separations for an extended period of time like six months and still want to work it out? Or is this just a way for her to find time until she is done with school before she goes through the divorce process? She says that she just wants me to work on things separately for now and maybe after some time we will go to counseling together.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
asurvivor
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/14/05
Re: Going through limbo stage of a separation... [Re: nuk]
      #742292 - 04/19/11 02:53 PM

Sounds like she is setting herself up to move on without you.

Any kids involved?

nuk
recently joined

Re: Going through limbo stage of a separation... [Re: asurvivor]
      #742318 - 04/19/11 08:11 PM

No kids involved. Why do you think she is setting herself up to move on without me? If so, why do you think she would send an email with a list of things she would like for me to work on "for the sake of our marriage" (as she put it) and ask me to write back with the same for her? I guess I am just so confused about her actions and don't know why she does one thing and says another. Thanks for your input.

BeckaLeigh32

Reged: 03/15/11
      #742388 - 04/20/11 05:18 AM

It is possible that she loves you and doesn't want to hurt you by telling you she doesn't want to be with you ever again.

I had that problem with my STBX. I didn't want to be with him but didn't want to hurt him, regardless of how bad he had hurt me. I wanted to work on things, even though I knew it was hopeless. I am hoping this isn't how your wife feels.

And it is possible that there is no hidden agenda behind her words. She could really want to work on it and wants you to prove that you do, too. It is up to you whether you do what she requested or not. If you want this marriage to work, whether you think she will be back or not, you have to work at it. Marriage is hard. You have to zig when you want to zag, bend when you want to be rigid.

I wish you the best of luck. I hope you two work it out. But, remember, communication is key. If you don't hear the words she is saying or typing, she isn't going to want to hear what you are saying.

yregna
veteran

Reged: 07/25/06
Loc: Oregon
Re: Going through limbo stage of a separation... [Re: BeckaLeigh32]
      #743923 - 04/27/11 02:51 PM

She is already screwing someone else, its very obvious...

--------------------
"Anything free is worth what you pay for it..."
"Climate is what we expect, weather is what we get"

finz
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/17/08
Re: Going through limbo stage of a separation... [Re: yregna]
      #744144 - 04/28/11 11:26 PM

Is she supporting herself financially during this time ? That could help you dodge paying her spousal support until she completes her degree and gets a (better) job.

I would do the counseling on your own. Even if this is the end of your marriage, you have learned that you internalize anger and have difficulty communicating. Any work that you do for yourself can help you in the long run....whether that is with her or a new partner.

nuk
recently joined

Re: Going through limbo stage of a separation... [Re: finz]
      #744234 - 04/29/11 02:59 PM

Finz, Thank you for your response...She and her parents are paying her bills. We are communicating via email. Also, she is from Toronto so if we were to get a divorce, she would probably move back to Toronto with her parents as she doesn't have any roots here. With that being said, she has asked for certain documents that are needed when applying for graduate school loans out here. I also found out that she was offered a great position in Detroit (she applied for the same position out here but didn't get it), which is very close to Toronto. I was afraid that she was looking towards that because it is close to home and what she wants to do. However, I have since learned that she declined the position. Don't know what it all means but I hope it means something good. I am doing IC on my own and it is helping.

finz
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/17/08
      #744757 - 05/02/11 06:13 AM

Hang in there Nuk.

Be thankful she is not asking for financial support now...and keep your proof about her job offer

psioux
recently joined

Reged: 05/16/11
Loc: PA
Re: Going through limbo stage of a separation... [Re: finz]
      #747248 - 05/16/11 03:51 PM

I kind of seperated from my Ex husband for a while, but we never really seperated and were still together for the weekends and put on a "face" for others. I never talked about it with my family or friends. And now we are divorced and I look back and wonder if we had this seperate time if it would be the same. I, at the time, was not ready to do what needed to be done. Maybe because i was young. Probably because I didn't know how to communicate.

I understand what people are saying here about her maybe being already gone. But I can tell you that time can change things. maybe some of her expierences will. I hope you both find what makes you happy. All you can do now is trust that she is telling you what is going on. And that when you ask a question she is giving you the honest answer. That is the only way you can move forward either way.

nuk
recently joined

Re: Going through limbo stage of a separation... [Re: psioux]
      #747434 - 05/17/11 02:03 PM

Psioux,

Thank you so much for your message. One problem she does have is that with communicating. What specifically do you think would have happened if you had time apart? Is the the fact that you may have had time to think things through without any interruption from your ex? With her is that her actions show that this marriage is not important to her (i.e. the complete stonewalling of me). At the same time, she won't pull the trigger on the divorce and when she came by to pick up some things, she only took half of her things and left the other half at home.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5678

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: