Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Child Support

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
missa
recently joined

Reged: 08/10/11
Getting Screwed w/Child Support!!!!
      #759043 - 08/10/11 07:26 AM

My ex has had his wages garnished for past due arrears for a few years now and like clockwork I receive the child support without any problem!! Well, I haven't received the July child support so I called his place of employment and spoke to the person who handles it and she proceeds to tell me that he is currently working for another company in Nevada!!!! I received the child support in June and I knew then that he had been working in Nevada for the same company he's been employed with for the past 10 years so I smell something fishy is going on and I'm being lied to!! I then called the child support office for help and told them about it and they told me I would have to call back at the end of this month before they can do anything!!!! I'm so upset because school is going to start and I need to get my son clothes and all the necessities!!! After getting upset and stressing out about it, I had to contact my ex, which I have no way to contact him except through his new girlfriend which is a bunch of BS!!!! I was nice and asked her via facebook message if she could have him call me because it was important and the BS I went through with her acting like such a stupid [censored] and playing childish games upset me and pissed me off!!! I spoke to him over the weekend and he told me he would send money this coming friday which I'm hoping and praying he will keep his word!!! Now I guess it's just a waiting game until the end of the month!!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ssmom79
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/27/07
Re: Getting Screwed w/Child Support!!!! [Re: missa]
      #759047 - 08/10/11 09:09 AM

It's possible he was working for the same company for ten years, was contracted out to a company and eventually transferred over to be employed by the other company.

You will need to wait until August 30 before you can call about the July support. It sucks but it's how it works. However if he has changed employers, why don't you call and see if you can pursue that with the child support agency?

Why are you unable to purchase anything for your son without receiving a child support payment? Do you have any money to purchase minimal supplies? Clothing can wait unless his is in rags, if necessary a local consignment shop often has nice things for cheap, just to hold you over until the payments start coming regular again. Again, if he has transferred his employer, the child support collection agency will need to follow up there to get the garnishment order to his new employer.

If you want to hear about getting screwed, stick around and listen to some of the stories here. There are some people here who are years behind on receiving payments, some people never received even one payment. There are some people grossly overpaying their support. Be thankful you're working with one payment being late and stay on the child support agency, hopefully it won't get too far behind. Be prepared for it and plan ahead, sometimes you can't depend on the other parent to support your kids. Sad, but it happens.

hanzblinx
enthusiast

Reged: 08/13/10
Re: Getting Screwed w/Child Support!!!! [Re: ssmom79]
      #759051 - 08/10/11 10:48 AM

Everybody needs to have a savings account whether or not they have children at all. I don't get the philosophy of women sitting around waiting for money to appear, then going into panic mode when it does not. You need to have 3 months income in savings at minimum. There is no excuse for financial panic. I'm a scout leader and all the little boys know the motto: BE PREPARED. If a 12 year old can figure that lesson out so can you.

cpnebraska
addict

Reged: 09/08/08
Re: Getting Screwed w/Child Support!!!! [Re: hanzblinx]
      #759057 - 08/10/11 12:23 PM

[quote]Everybody needs to have a savings account whether or not they have children at all. I don't get the philosophy of women sitting around waiting for money to appear, then going into panic mode when it does not. You need to have 3 months income in savings at minimum. There is no excuse for financial panic. I'm a scout leader and all the little boys know the motto: BE PREPARED. If a 12 year old can figure that lesson out so can you. [/quote]

It isn't always possible to have a savings. When you live month to month on a very small amount. Also sometimes emergencies happen that wipe out what savings you have managed.

Keep in mind some people are wasteful and just irresponsible but others are just trying to make it.

--------------------
Having one kid makes you a parent, two makes you a referee!

hanzblinx
enthusiast

Re: Getting Screwed w/Child Support!!!! [Re: cpnebraska]
      #759059 - 08/10/11 01:13 PM

[quote]

It isn't always possible to have a savings. When you live month to month on a very small amount. Also sometimes emergencies happen that wipe out what savings you have managed.

Keep in mind some people are wasteful and just irresponsible but others are just trying to make it. [/quote]

If you stomp your feet and get mad every time it rains, you still get wet. If you plan ahead, get an umbrella, you stay dry REGARDLESS of what the weather does. I can't imagine she wants to spend the next decade or two a financial "victim" at the whims of the father. That's not the path I would take. We have completely different thought processes.

Sherron
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 11/25/06
Re: Getting Screwed w/Child Support!!!! [Re: hanzblinx]
      #759065 - 08/10/11 03:39 PM

"If you stomp your feet and get mad every time it rains, you still get wet. If you plan ahead, get an umbrella, you stay dry REGARDLESS of what the weather does. "

Unless the wind rips the umbrella out of your hand...

finz
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/17/08
Re: Getting Screwed w/Child Support!!!! [Re: Sherron]
      #759170 - 08/12/11 01:10 AM

lol

And that does fit the situation that some find themselves in when finances are sooo tight that getting ahead IS NOT POSSIBLE. Especially with current unemployment issues, for some it is not possible.

For many though, I think it could be possible if they were willing to do the work of making a budget, getting a second or third job, trading babysitting with friends/family to save on childcare, and giving up some non neccesities. I have a friend who is also disabled who is always living paycheck to paycheck. She can't work. Her husband works 2 24 hour shifts per week and apparently isn't interested in an additional job. Multiple catch 22 issues like....Can't afford to rehaul the sucky electrical system in their house, but go through countless new fuses at $5 a pop (several a day in the summer with AC running). Could save thousands if they didn't have to pay for the fuses, but have to pay for the fuses because they can't afford the new electrical system and their credit is shot. The late fees on their payments add up significantly. Both are still smokers though. And paying for 4 cell phones a month (kids 9 and 12), cable, internet, etc. Plenty of ways they could cut back if they REALLY wanted to.

finz
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/17/08
      #759192 - 08/12/11 12:36 PM

Missa....I hope you get the money soon.

Best advice I've seen on here is: live as if you weren't going to get another check. Yes, the check should come regularly, your ex has a responsibility to the kids

hanzblinx
enthusiast

Re: Getting Screwed w/Child Support!!!! [Re: Sherron]
      #759195 - 08/12/11 12:42 PM

[quote]Unless the wind rips the umbrella out of your hand... [/quote]

OK you win. She will never be anything but a victim and nothing is ever her responsibility because she's always a victim. There. Congrats on winning the debate.

By the way, if the father dies in a car accident this year, or secretly moves to Brazil, and she can't get by without his payments...then what? just a thought. I can't understand being dependent on anybody, especially an ex spouse. Too many people (women)are raised with the mentality of dependency. Way too many.

MrsB
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 07/03/10
      #759199 - 08/12/11 12:57 PM

Missa - do you work? I can understand why you would expect is every month, since you've received it consistently for so many years.

Hope you get it figured out soon and the check is in the mail today!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10289

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: