Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Child Support

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
hurryupwait

Reged: 09/23/11
Child Support Modification
      #763078 - 09/23/11 01:15 PM

Hi all! I am new to the forum and found you all because I am trying to figure out what to do in my current situtation.

My XH and I have been divorced for about 9 years now, since our son was a little over a year old. At the time of the divorce, XH did not want to go to court, we came to a custody and visitation agreement on our own and entered it in the divorce decree; we also used to the Virginia Child Support calculator to determine the correct amount.

I have sole legal and physical custody, he has open visitation, but at least EOW; he rarely takes advantage of anything more than EOW, but is always there for that. I keep him informed of major decisions on our son's health and education and we have had no problems on that.

Every few years tho, he decides he pays too much in child support and begins to pay what he thinks is right; it usually works itself out and he returns to the right amount...anyway that is where we are now...he has decided to pay 1/3 of the monthly amount he owes. He says he is going to request a modification, which I agree we should have if he feels he is paying too much.

I doubt he is actually going to do it, based on history and I don't want to continue discussing money with him - it makes things very tense. I am considering requesting a modification myself.

My question is - our son no longer goes to traditional childcare as he is 10 years old; but in the winter and the summer, I sign him up for afterschool camps and summer camps, to keep him active and not sitting at home in front of the TV - how would those costs figure in to child support?

Also he recently needed braces, it was a $1200 up front cost and $200 a month for the next 2.5 years; I did not ask XH for money for this, as I felt the child support would cover it; but if we are going to have it reviewed, can I factor these new costs in?

Thank you in advance

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
javajunkiee
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/08
Loc: SC
Re: Child Support Modification [Re: hurryupwait]
      #763094 - 09/23/11 04:18 PM

Have you both run the calculator again based on incomes? If incomes have increased he may be in for a rude awakening and his cs may go UP, not down.

You can factor in health expenses, and IMO, should put them in. Dad should share in the responsibility of the health care.

--------------------
Marriage doesn't come with a money-back guarantee.

hurryupwait

Re: Child Support Modification [Re: javajunkiee]
      #763130 - 09/23/11 06:06 PM

Thanks! I have no idea what his income is anymore. He changes jobs every year or so.

Should I go for a review or file something for his short payments?

Renny
addict

Reged: 09/24/11
      #763294 - 09/24/11 08:50 PM

If you file for modification the case is wide open and you can get discovery -- Find out his income. It may costruzione you a few thousand to' go that route. The alternative is to after the arrears through contempt or child support services. Does your original agreement say anything about medical and extracurricular expenses?

hurryupwait

Re: Child Support Modification [Re: Renny]
      #763304 - 09/25/11 08:50 AM

Our original doesn't say anything about medical or extracurricular activities as our son was less than a year old when we split up. If I go for a modification can those things be added now?

Even tho I don't want the amount to be lower I think that is the right way to go, if it is supposed to be less then that is fair for the ex. I hope i can bring up those things for consideration and request wage garnishment so the money is out of our hands.

Renny
addict

#763311 - 09/25/11 02:14 PM

Yes, child support is always modifiable. You can add provisions to address all expenses -- medical, school, extracurricular.

I'd also bear in mind that the child is the one with the right of support. You are collecting support on behalf of the child. It's difficult to argue that less support is in the child's best interests.

Sherron
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 11/25/06
      #763316 - 09/25/11 03:27 PM

"You can add provisions to address all expenses -- medical, school, extracurricular. "
In my state, school and extracurricular expenses are part of the base cs... medical and childcare are the only additional expenses that can be added to base cs.

"It's difficult to argue that less support is in the child's best interests. "
The child spends eow with the ncp, wouldn't paying more to the cp lessen the support the ncp can provide in their own home? Hard to say if this applies in this case, since no numbers are given, but the ncp provides support in the cp's home as well as their own home, so when you say "less support", which home are you referring to?

hurryupwait

#763317 - 09/25/11 03:28 PM

Thanks Renny! I didn't mean I thought less support was best, that is what it sounded like! I hope it doesn't go lower, but worry since I don't pay for daycare any more. Everything else costs a lot more at his age tho. I am ok to have it reviewed so the X understands the expenses and stops trying to make his own determinations. Thanks for your responses!!

hurryupwait

#763318 - 09/25/11 03:45 PM

Hi Sherron. Not sure I understand your questions but will try to give more info, tho I don't think I will give true dollars. My XH has decided after 9 years that the amount if child support is too much. He has decided on his own to pay less. He says he wants a modification and plans to pay what he wants until then. I do not believe either of us has had a drop in income probably increases in 9 years. The biggest factor I think maybe we no longer pay for child care. But there are new expenses too. Summer and afterschool camps, costly sports, tutor and braces. The amount should not affect the support he gives our son EOW at his home but if a decrease in the base amount is ordered I want to make sure the new allowable expenses for a 10 year child vs. A baby are brought into the equation. Let me know if you need more info!

Sherron
Carpal \'Tunnel

#763319 - 09/25/11 04:16 PM

My question was for Renny, off on a tangent lol.

"The biggest factor I think maybe we no longer pay for child care."
And that will drop off cs, after school care can be added in some states.

"But there are new expenses too. Summer and afterschool camps, costly sports, tutor and braces. "
The only thing that may matter are the braces if they were medically necessary; unless the other categories were mentioned in your divorce decree, they are not likely to be added later on. You didn't mention paying for the child's insurance, but based on camps, costly sports and tutors, I'm guessing you carry insurance and the premium would be added to the base amount in many states (sorry, no experience specific to your state)

Your best bet is to enter your info into your state's calculator
[censored]://[censored].dss.virginia.gov/family/dcse_calc.cgi

Using the base percentages of obligation, you can then guesstimate how much of the insurance premium and after school care could be added to the base amount, as well as what the split is for unreimbursed medical expenses. In my state, the cp pays for the first $250 a year and then can bill the ncp their percentage share. If the ncp does not pay, the cp can then sue in small claims court.

Renny
addict

Re: Child Support Modification [Re: Sherron]
      #763320 - 09/25/11 04:27 PM

I take your point about the ncp needing enough money left over to provide support during his/her visitation. A bigger problem is when the ncp loses his/her job and can't afford any support. the court system is expensive and slow to respond to economic realities.

gr8Dad
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/07/04
      #763323 - 09/25/11 05:13 PM

I think what you are failing to see is that an INCREASE in a child's expenses is NOT a reason for an increase in support. Also, the things you are wanting to add, camps, tutoring, etc, as VOLUNTARY. Child support is a percentage of the NCP's income.

--------------------
Why give a "senior" discount, they have had plenty of time to raise the money...

hurryupwait

Re: Child Support Modification [Re: gr8Dad]
      #763325 - 09/25/11 07:11 PM

Thanks gr8tdad. I was asking this forum if those are valid things to bring up if the X goes for a decrease. I am not asking for an increase at all and do not believe one is needed. I understand child support is to ensure both parents are supporting the child. Why would the CP be the inky one to pay for extras? If you will note I have never requested more money in over 9 years. I also only want X to pay what is fair per the court. Since we haven't been through this, I am asking what should be brought up. Our son is too old for daycare centers, but I do not think it is good for him to sit home alone for 2 hours each day during school and for 9 hours during the summer. So they have "camps" for kids his age. That is why I am wondering if those costs can be brought into consideration.

Renny
addict

#763330 - 09/25/11 08:51 PM

Gr8 is talking about jurisdictions that still use percentages of income of the ncp to determine child support. Modifications in those states depend mainly on the income of the ncp, although there usually is language that allows leeway based on the best interests of the children. Most states use a calculator that takes into account expenses, and these change over time -- and so does the cs.

gr8Dad
Carpal \'Tunnel

#763331 - 09/25/11 08:55 PM

Do you know of OTHER ways they calculate support? Some use INCOME SHARES, but that is STILL a percentage of income, and has NOTHING to do with ACTUAL costs of raising the child.

--------------------
Why give a "senior" discount, they have had plenty of time to raise the money...

Renny
addict

#763334 - 09/25/11 09:05 PM

The income shares model is indeed based on the actual cost of raising a child. There are standing commissions that do nothing but try to figure that out. The results from the calculator are minimums too.

gr8Dad
Carpal \'Tunnel

#763338 - 09/25/11 09:32 PM

No, the income shares madel is used to determine what percentage each parent pays in relation to a set percentage of the total available resources TO raise the child. For example, if the COMBINED income is, say, 100K, and one makes 60K and the other makes 40K, then they would pay 60 and 40 % respectively of the total amount due, percentage wise, on an income of $100K. It is STILL based on PERCENTAGE OF INCOME< not COST OF RAISING A CHILD.

--------------------

Renny
addict

#763341 - 09/25/11 09:52 PM

Think again. The percentages derive from the two incomes, but are applied to the real cost of raising a child in a state. Are you suggesting that both parents together pay 100% of their income on child support? And that the ncp will pay say 40% of income in child support? No. The calculation is made on the real life cost in a given state of providing a child with the minimum essentials such as food, shelter, medical care.

gr8Dad
Carpal \'Tunnel

#763342 - 09/25/11 10:20 PM

"The calculation is made on the real life cost in a given state of providing a child with the minimum essentials such as food, shelter, medical care."

If what you are saying is true, then a parent making $20K a year, and a parent making $200K a year would be ordered to pay the SAME amount in child support, as the ESSENTIALS of child rearing do not change based on the INCOME of the parents.

Since we KNOW that a parent making $200K pays SUBSTANTIALLY more than a parent making $20K, you are WRONG, plain and simple.

--------------------

finz
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/17/08
      #763352 - 09/26/11 07:53 AM

lol....agree with you totally on that point gr8 !

Sherron
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Child Support Modification [Re: finz]
      #763353 - 09/26/11 08:05 AM

"Since we KNOW that a parent making $200K pays SUBSTANTIALLY more than a parent making $20K, you are WRONG, plain and simple."

The more you make, the more you spend and that includes kids... a parent making $200k has much better options for childcare for example than a parent making $20k, who is probably even subsidized by childcare assistance... and depending on family size, a few other "freebies" that lower expenses. I'm guessing housing options vary greatly as well with a higher income, which usually benefits the entire family, including the child. So yes, even "essentials" can vary in cost, depending on income. Not saying all calculations are fair... lower income ncps usually pay less than a "fair share" for essentials, higher income ncps usually pay more.

ssmom79
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/27/07
      #763357 - 09/26/11 09:48 AM

My question is - our son no longer goes to traditional childcare as he is 10 years old; but in the winter and the summer, I sign him up for afterschool camps and summer camps, to keep him active and not sitting at home in front of the TV - how would those costs figure in to child support?

We always considered that 'daycare' even though it's not a full-time daycare. You can average the cost of the after-school care with the cost of the summer care and winter break care. Total it up for the year, divide by 12 and there is the average monthly cost for 'daycare'.

Also he recently needed braces, it was a $1200 up front cost and $200 a month for the next 2.5 years; I did not ask XH for money for this, as I felt the child support would cover it; but if we are going to have it reviewed, can I factor these new costs in?

Age ten getting braces you may find you will be getting braces again. What is being treated and what is the plan of treatment? That is VERY expensive. My SD had mangle mouth and her braces were $300 down and $156 a month for 18 months. Have you received more than one option? A lot of ortho's will do a free consult.

hurryupwait

Re: Child Support Modification [Re: ssmom79]
      #763358 - 09/26/11 10:04 AM

Thank you SSmom79; your answers on the child care/camp was very helpful!

As for the braces, it is expensive, we do live in a high cost of living area, so I guess that would figure in; we did receive multiple estimates and this was was mid-level and with the ortho that works directly with our regular dentist.

He has lost all of his baby teeth and has the adult teeth he should have, except the eye teeth on top; the reason for the braces is that he doesn't have enough room in his mouth for the eye teeth to come down; in addition to the braces he has a roof expander to align his teeth properly and to create more room for those teeth. I feel good about the price and work being done based on everyone we visited.

Again, I may be rare, but I only want his Dad to pay the proper amount of child support based on appropriate items being figured in; we never went to court 9+ years ago when this was figured out, we simply used the state calculator; I can't do that now because he does not want me to know his income...i wish he would, it would make it very simple to determine the proper amount!

I am not trying to get more from him than was is proper for our son; I surely don't want extra from him, so that he could hold it over my head!

Thanks!!

ssmom79
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/27/07
      #763360 - 09/26/11 10:10 AM

Sounds like you have a good plan of action and many options. I feel bad he has to go through the roof expander I hear that can be difficult. My SD's teeth are just slow. Her eye teeth eventually had to be pulled down with her braces.

Our orthodontic care is not included in child support, we pay 50% of that cost. Actually, we pay the costs and rather than reimbursing us, BM allows hubby to reduce the amount of child support paid to cover her share of the costs.

I would not include the cost in your child support calculations. That amount would be a separate amount.

We also do that for my SS car insurance. We consider that in excess of child support. So each parent pays 1/3 the costs and SS pays the other third. Again, BM allows us to reduce her CS amount by her payment each month. I would NEVER EVER recommmend anyone do this, but it works for them.

Renny
addict

Re: Child Support Modification [Re: finz]
      #763372 - 09/26/11 03:44 PM

Gr8, you don't seem to grasp how the cs calculator works in the shared income model states. The incomes of the parents are summed, and a percentage assigned to each parent. The calculator figures out the minimum child support for a child from a family in that income bracket. Obviously a ncp making 200k will pay kore cs than one making 20k. Moreover, there are many "deviations" possible, including upward deviations for high incomes. But I'm wasting my time talking to someone who thinks he knows the law and is giving bogus advice instead.

gr8Dad
Carpal \'Tunnel

#763374 - 09/26/11 03:52 PM

No, YOU are the one that does not appear to understand. You are insisting that it is based on the cost of raising a child. It is based on the PERCENTAGE of income of the parents, NOT the cost of raising a child.

It costs NO more for a person making 200K or a person making 20K to raise a child. Food/housing/clothing are EXACTLY the same for both. Now, a wealthier family may CHOOSE to spend more by buying higher quality items or more "stuff", but it doesn't actually COST more. So since it doesn't COST more, and the amount is higher for higher incomes, then it MUST be based on income.

--------------------

Miranda
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: North of Mexico
      #763375 - 09/26/11 03:53 PM

[quote]Gr8 is talking about jurisdictions that still use percentages of income of the ncp to determine child support. Modifications in those states depend mainly on the income of the ncp, although there usually is language that allows leeway based on the best interests of the children. Most states use a calculator that takes into account expenses, and these change over time -- and so does the cs. [/quote]

Wrong. Modification in states, like TX, rely only on the income of the NCP. It is a flat % rate. 17%, 23% etc. I have never known anyone to be granted a deviation of any sort. It is very cut and dry.

So are you saying in shared income states, if I contact the courts and stated that my ARM adjusted and my mortgage went up substantially that I should get a reduction in child support payments? Because that would never happen.

The more you make the more you pay regardless of the formula. My husband is a custodial parent and a higher wage earner and his CS "shared income model" is ridiculous. To the point where his ex pays state minimum (less that $200 per month) due to the income disparity.

--------------------
13.1...because I am only half crazy!

Miranda
Carpal \'Tunnel

#763376 - 09/26/11 03:55 PM

It's totally based on income. I always assumed the extra itemized information on the forms were for deviations.

You can't max out your withholdings and invest 50% of your paycheck and only expect to use 40% of your income for CS equations.

--------------------

Sherron
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Child Support Modification [Re: Miranda]
      #763377 - 09/26/11 03:55 PM

"So are you saying in shared income states, if I contact the courts and stated that my ARM adjusted and my mortgage went up substantially that I should get a reduction in child support payments? Because that would never happen."

I think what she is saying that the logic behind the actual calculation involves statistical expenses related to child rearing... not a magic eight ball.

Miranda
Carpal \'Tunnel

#763379 - 09/26/11 03:58 PM

What state are you in? Your situation will be dependent on your state laws. Some states do not add in extra for daycare, some do. In many siutations, orthodontics are considered cosmetic and therefore not a medical necessity. If it is has been 9 years you definitely need to file for a case review. Modifiying your order to include new things can be a lenghty and expensive process, so weigh the pros and cons carefully. I totally regret my mod that took 2+ years of court battles and over 10K in legal fees for no change whatsoever, and my ex still does not pay CS. What a waste of my life!!

--------------------

Edited by Miranda (09/26/11 04:10 PM)

Renny
addict

Re: Child Support Modification [Re: Miranda]
      #763405 - 09/26/11 06:20 PM

Sherron understands my point. The calculator is based on real life statistical information about the cost of raising a child in a family with a given total income. The percentages relate to the portion of that amount each parent is responsible for. In practice tho, the ncp pays the cp his/her portion of cs and other expenses. Some states like Texas still have the 17 23 25 percentage of the income of the ncp payable to the cp plus other expenses.

If you compare the two systems, you will fond that the straight percentage was much more generous than the paltry amount payable per the calculator. That's because it was meant to be a minimum, and is instead used as a standard, like the percentage.

Agree that you should approach modification weighing the time and expense. It's like litigating the divorce all over again. Not worth it unless the kids are very young and the ncp makes a lot more money than he/she used to --enough to pay for the suit.

hurryupwait

#763406 - 09/26/11 06:26 PM

So with the potential cost of a review and the fact I don't think it is needed, then maybe I should just address the fact that he is paying 1/3 the amount due or as in September nothing at all?

Renny
addict

#763416 - 09/26/11 09:04 PM

That's what I would do hurry. In other words, get the arrears in a contempt action. Modification may not be worth the time and expense especially with a litigious ex, or if the ex is out of a job or making less money.

Btw, it's always possible to enter into an agreement to modify cs and add provisions concerning expenses. This is not necessarily to get more cs, but to distribute the cost more fairly. A consent order can be submitted to the judge and it's over. But this isn't possible of course with

Econ_Dad
recently joined

Reged: 10/11/11
      #764557 - 10/11/11 11:05 AM

Seeing the detour into discussion of support calculations and Income Shares, NCPs and CPs alike will find this advanced calculator for Michigan interesting. It doesn't just tell you support amounts but also some of the economic and financial implications behind the calculation in MI, especially for the parental time offset. Renny, Sherron and gr8dad, you might be particularly interested. [censored].childservicepolicies.com

gr8Dad
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Child Support Modification [Re: Econ_Dad]
      #764559 - 10/11/11 11:15 AM

"parental time offset"

Translation? The EXTRA money you get to pay because the court says you can't see your kid/kids equally.

--------------------

Econ_Dad
recently joined

#764562 - 10/11/11 11:55 AM

In Michigan, the parental time offset reduces payments based on the number of overnights the children spend with the NCP. Numbers obviously vary widely based on income, but for a middle class family with 2 kids and an "every other weekend and half holidays/vacations" arrangement, it can come out to a support credit to the NCP of around $3 per child for each day with the children. Michigan uses a "sum of days" cubed formula to get to that $3. The advanced calculator, and a glossary, above explains some of that.

Renny
addict

#764583 - 10/11/11 04:50 PM

In my jurisdiction the calculator has a parenting time deviation but it's up for argument. I can imagine the ncp in MI fighting to have more overnights to save $3.

Sherron
Carpal \'Tunnel

#764587 - 10/11/11 05:55 PM

"I can imagine the ncp in MI fighting to have more overnights to save $3."

I can't imagine that for the majority of ncp's, maybe those who are math impaired... I mean, are you really saving $3 when you're spending $5-$10 or even more... I think your statement is about as correct as saying I imagine the cp fighting to have more overnights to gain $3.

Renny
addict

#764598 - 10/11/11 09:56 PM

I was half joking. It still amazes me how the husbands especially hate to pay child support, because it goes to the ex wife. Of course $3 doesn't begin to cover the expense of housing and feeding a kid. And you can't calculate how much it's worth to a loving ncp to have his/ her children over.

Econ_Dad
recently joined

#764603 - 10/11/11 10:28 PM

Hi, Renny. I had thought your post had a typo and you had meant "can't imagine." Didn't realize you were joking.

I was simply stating the numbers. I think in the interests of the children, especially in shared parenting time cases, the most important issue for many ncps is insuring that state formulas reflect actual costs incurred in each household.

When formulas result in amounts that don't eflect actual costs, you end up with serious economic distortions. In many states, the distortions result in either dedicated minority-time (but significant time) ncps credited with numbers like $3 a day, or parents with near-equal time incentivized with hundred of dollars a month weighing on one or two days a month. Both are serious issues, one issue resulting in children spending time in NCP households who are struggling with support amounts that reflect none of their own child-rearing expenditures and another issue that often results in litigation and "the gaming of time for money." At the risk of repeating myself, try [censored].childservicepolicies for a dynamic look at the numbers in MI.

Renny
addict

#764605 - 10/11/11 10:43 PM

The link is censored. But yes, I follow you. Broadly speaking, I think the income shares model and calculators used in most states underestimate what it costs to raise children. And modification litigation can be very expensive against a wealthy parent determined not o pay his share. You can expect a counterclim for change of ustody, with Depositions, forensic accountants, gals, psychologists -- years and tens of thoisands down the drain.

Econ_Dad
recently joined

#764606 - 10/11/11 10:59 PM

"..years and tens of thousands of dollars down the drain."

Exactly. Which is why developing default support calculations in line with economic reality are important. That said, it is possible that you and I may disagree on the use and interpretation of equivalency scales and, perhaps, even BLS expenditure data. If you're interested in the censored link and raw numbers for one particular income shares state, try "child service policies" in a search engine.

DedicatedDad
veteran

Reged: 09/05/04
      #764647 - 10/12/11 10:09 AM

Income shares is a joke in my state. Here's an example:

Parant A Has the children 45% of the time, makes $24,000/year
Parent B Has the children 55% of the time, makes $240,000/year.

Parent A pays parent B $312/month.
If you increase Parent B's income to $1.2M/year and leave parent A at $24K, parent A still pays $72/month.

How this even be called income shares?

This figures are straight from the MN official online CS calculator.

Sherron
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Child Support Modification [Re: DedicatedDad]
      #764653 - 10/12/11 11:21 AM

"In many states, the distortions result in either dedicated minority-time (but significant time) ncps credited with numbers like $3 a day"

According to the formula, what is the cost to the cp per day and per child?

Econ_Dad
recently joined

#764673 - 10/12/11 01:04 PM

Hi, Sherron,

Here's an MI example from that advanced calculator:
2 parents with total net income of $10,000 per month (imagine roughly two tenured teachers in MI for a benchmark).
2 children.
75 NCP overnights (assumed for half weekends/vacations/holidays)

Monthly total base amount of $2332 before child care or medical.
CP credit: $2292.72 per month, or an average of $94.87 each of 290 days before child care and medical are added.
NCP's parental time offset: $39.66 reduction in support payments regardless of relative incomes, or an offset credit of $6.35 each of 75 weekends/holidays/vacations.

In my opinion, whether you consider a given support payment too low or too high, it's important to know not only the amount of the monthly "check," but also the financial/economic implications behind that amount. I'd love to share the link with you so you can run your own examples, but apparently my hands are tied.

Sherron
Carpal \'Tunnel

#764682 - 10/12/11 01:44 PM

In the example where the ncp is credited with "like $3 a day" for an overnight, how much does the cp get for their overnights?

"In my opinion, whether you consider a given support payment too low or too high, it's important to know not only the amount of the monthly "check," but also the financial/economic implications behind that amount."
Why... it doesn't change anything, does it?

Making statements that the ncp is only credited with $3 a day for their overnights are quite dramatic, but pretty useless without knowing how much the cp receives for theirs.

Regardless, neither MI state law nor ovenights apply in my case, so it's really just a hypothetical discussion for me.

Econ_Dad
recently joined

#764697 - 10/12/11 03:28 PM

"Why... it doesn't change anything does it?"
In an individual case possibly not. But in my opinion no meaningful policy discussions (or for that matter, legislative or legal decisions) can be made if parents, policy makers and family court professionals do not understand the ideas behind their own state formulas. Saying "the support amount is $1,000" a month has little meaning if no one knows that means that the calculation is founded on the notion than CP is spending, say, $100 a day on base childrearing costs or that an NCP spends only $6. That is only one economic distortion, and there are numerous others depending on the mix of days and incomes. On the opposite end of the spectrum, other distortions are the reason parents often complicate custody matters by accusing each other of "gaming time for money."

"...pretty useless without saying what the CP receives for theirs."
I think I answered this already.

"....it's really just a hypothetical discussion for me."
Which state?

Sherron
Carpal \'Tunnel

#764699 - 10/12/11 03:33 PM

"But in my opinion no meaningful policy discussions (or for that matter, legislative or legal decisions) can be made if parents, policy makers and family court professionals do not understand the ideas behind their own state formulas."

Then I shall respectfully bow out of this meaningful policy discussion... I hope the OP has found the answers she was looking for.

MrsB
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 07/03/10
      #764855 - 10/13/11 08:03 PM

[quote]"parental time offset"

Translation? The EXTRA money you get to pay because the court says you can't see your kid/kids equally. [/quote]

Or because you choose not to see them.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5317

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: