Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Child Support

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Renny
addict

Reged: 09/24/11
Re: Child Support Modification [Re: Sherron]
      #763320 - 09/25/11 04:27 PM

I take your point about the ncp needing enough money left over to provide support during his/her visitation. A bigger problem is when the ncp loses his/her job and can't afford any support. the court system is expensive and slow to respond to economic realities.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gr8Dad
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/07/04
Re: Child Support Modification [Re: hurryupwait]
      #763323 - 09/25/11 05:13 PM

I think what you are failing to see is that an INCREASE in a child's expenses is NOT a reason for an increase in support. Also, the things you are wanting to add, camps, tutoring, etc, as VOLUNTARY. Child support is a percentage of the NCP's income.

--------------------
Why give a "senior" discount, they have had plenty of time to raise the money...

hurryupwait

Reged: 09/23/11
Re: Child Support Modification [Re: gr8Dad]
      #763325 - 09/25/11 07:11 PM

Thanks gr8tdad. I was asking this forum if those are valid things to bring up if the X goes for a decrease. I am not asking for an increase at all and do not believe one is needed. I understand child support is to ensure both parents are supporting the child. Why would the CP be the inky one to pay for extras? If you will note I have never requested more money in over 9 years. I also only want X to pay what is fair per the court. Since we haven't been through this, I am asking what should be brought up. Our son is too old for daycare centers, but I do not think it is good for him to sit home alone for 2 hours each day during school and for 9 hours during the summer. So they have "camps" for kids his age. That is why I am wondering if those costs can be brought into consideration.

Renny
addict

Re: Child Support Modification [Re: hurryupwait]
      #763330 - 09/25/11 08:51 PM

Gr8 is talking about jurisdictions that still use percentages of income of the ncp to determine child support. Modifications in those states depend mainly on the income of the ncp, although there usually is language that allows leeway based on the best interests of the children. Most states use a calculator that takes into account expenses, and these change over time -- and so does the cs.

gr8Dad
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Child Support Modification [Re: Renny]
      #763331 - 09/25/11 08:55 PM

Do you know of OTHER ways they calculate support? Some use INCOME SHARES, but that is STILL a percentage of income, and has NOTHING to do with ACTUAL costs of raising the child.

--------------------
Why give a "senior" discount, they have had plenty of time to raise the money...

Renny
addict

#763334 - 09/25/11 09:05 PM

The income shares model is indeed based on the actual cost of raising a child. There are standing commissions that do nothing but try to figure that out. The results from the calculator are minimums too.

gr8Dad
Carpal \'Tunnel

#763338 - 09/25/11 09:32 PM

No, the income shares madel is used to determine what percentage each parent pays in relation to a set percentage of the total available resources TO raise the child. For example, if the COMBINED income is, say, 100K, and one makes 60K and the other makes 40K, then they would pay 60 and 40 % respectively of the total amount due, percentage wise, on an income of $100K. It is STILL based on PERCENTAGE OF INCOME< not COST OF RAISING A CHILD.

--------------------

Renny
addict

#763341 - 09/25/11 09:52 PM

Think again. The percentages derive from the two incomes, but are applied to the real cost of raising a child in a state. Are you suggesting that both parents together pay 100% of their income on child support? And that the ncp will pay say 40% of income in child support? No. The calculation is made on the real life cost in a given state of providing a child with the minimum essentials such as food, shelter, medical care.

gr8Dad
Carpal \'Tunnel

#763342 - 09/25/11 10:20 PM

"The calculation is made on the real life cost in a given state of providing a child with the minimum essentials such as food, shelter, medical care."

If what you are saying is true, then a parent making $20K a year, and a parent making $200K a year would be ordered to pay the SAME amount in child support, as the ESSENTIALS of child rearing do not change based on the INCOME of the parents.

Since we KNOW that a parent making $200K pays SUBSTANTIALLY more than a parent making $20K, you are WRONG, plain and simple.

--------------------

finz
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/17/08
      #763352 - 09/26/11 07:53 AM

lol....agree with you totally on that point gr8 !

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5350

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: