Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

State Specific Community Forums >> Virginia Issues

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
recently joined

Reged: 07/27/11
Posts: 1
don't know where to begin
      #757695 - 07/27/11 08:13 AM

my Husband has been physically and verbally abusive for almost 7 yrs ie entire marriage. I finally got away from him in june I told him I wanted a divorce, he said he wasn't going to give me one he says if he can't have me noone will I get text messages saying he is watching me I get harrassing phone calls can I file for and get a divorce without any problems from him?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
recently joined

Reged: 10/14/11
Posts: 8
Loc: Terre Haute IN
Re: don't know where to begin [Re: Ladyangel]
      #764900 - 10/14/11 12:47 PM

You can divorce him even if he doesn't want to sign. No one can hold you in a relationship and a divorce is your right if you feel that you want out. If he abuses you physically, you can get a divorce on that fault of his whether or not he wants to. You can even get a restraining order against him if you please. Go see a lawyer. :-)

Read My Divorce Blog: [censored]://

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
recently joined

Reged: 08/31/11
Posts: 4
Loc: Virginia, USA
Re: don't know where to begin [Re: Rayanne]
      #764998 - 10/16/11 01:51 PM

I agree with Rayanne. Go see a Lawyer ASAP. In Virginia you can record any conversation as long as you are in the conversation being recorded. Save all the Text messages, your lawyer my want to hear them. If he abuses you again call 911 and get away from him, this way their will be a police record of the abuse. In Virginia if you go back because he says he is sorry he abused you and have sex. At the point you cohabitate you can not use the abuse in court as evidence. The court believes cohabitation is an action of forgiveness toward him. In Virginia abuse is on of 4 reasons to get a divorce right away with no delay. If you can not prove a fault" abuse" then you will need to stay away from him for 1 year without cohabitation then file. Again see a lawyer ASAP Im sorry for your pain and hope you stay safe.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Topic views: 1743

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home


Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: