Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Child Support

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
hatingdeadbeats
recently joined

Reged: 01/18/12
Ex working and living in Kuwait as contractor
      #774722 - 01/18/12 06:48 AM

My ex has not paid child support since he left the Army. He disappeared completely for the past 3 years. Hasn't paid child support or seen our child during this time. I have just be informed of his whereabouts via an anonymous letter from some woman he must have ticked off. Turns out that he has been giving his girlfriend (who he cheated on me and left me for) about $1400 every month according to the letter. I now have his mailing address over there and the amount of money he is making (over $90k a year) and want to know if I can now file a claim with child support enforcement to get a garnishment of his wages started. I am unsure of how this works seeing as how he is physically in Kuwait but working for an American company and all. Does anyone know?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hatingdeadbeats
recently joined

Reged: 01/18/12
Re: Ex working and living in Kuwait as contractor [Re: hatingdeadbeats]
      #774724 - 01/18/12 07:09 AM

Just some FYI for someone in a similar position that may stumble upon this post - I just contacted the local CSE agency and turns out the woman who sent the letter was correct. As long as the deadbeat is working for an American company the wages can be garnished.

Renny
addict

Reged: 09/24/11
      #774725 - 01/18/12 07:34 AM

[quote]Just some FYI for someone in a similar position that may stumble upon this post - I just contacted the local CSE agency and turns out the woman who sent the letter was correct. As long as the deadbeat is working for an American company the wages can be garnished. [/quote]

Yes, his wages can be garnished since he works for an american company. Let CSE handle the mechanics. Something else occurred to me. These contractors working in Iran and Quwait want their employees to be "clean", with no criminal record, debt problems or pending suits in the US, and, depending on the task of the employee, need people with a security clearance. You are probably in a good position to force the ex to pay up immediately and stay current or get him fired. You might think of writing your congressman about the non-payment of child support supported by a copy of the motion to enforce it and copying the CEO of your ex's company.

Sherron
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 11/25/06
Re: Ex working and living in Kuwait as contractor [Re: Renny]
      #774729 - 01/18/12 08:15 AM

"You are probably in a good position to force the ex to pay up immediately and stay current or get him fired. You might think of writing your congressman about the non-payment of child support supported by a copy of the motion to enforce it and copying the CEO of your ex's company."

Let CSE do their job, if he's gainfully employed and on the books, wage garnishment will kick in soon enough. No need to jeopardize his job.

Miranda
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: North of Mexico
      #774737 - 01/18/12 09:37 AM

How far is he in arrears? If he is more than 5K in arrears (or $2500 I cannot remember) it could effect his passport and re-entry into the U.S.

Google this: Section 51.60 (a) (2) of Title 22 of the Code of Federal Regulations

My husband's co-worker's ex wife works in Italy and is thousands behind in support. I know she is having a passport problems because she is on some "naughty list" with the U.S. state department and there is some kind of flag on her passport.

--------------------
13.1...because I am only half crazy!

javajunkiee
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/08
Loc: SC
      #774787 - 01/18/12 05:58 PM

Getting him fired eliminates or postpones the OPs chance at collecting CS. I'd recommend being *very* certain of what the desired result is and treading carefully to get it. I'm not saying let him off the hook, but CS calculations on $ -0- income equals zero CS.

--------------------
Marriage doesn't come with a money-back guarantee.

Renny
addict

Re: Ex working and living in Kuwait as contractor [Re: javajunkiee]
      #774793 - 01/18/12 07:31 PM

There are deadbeats I wouldn't mind seeing in jail even if cs drops to zero. Being fired from a cushy assignment in Quwait would probably be good for him. He can ind a job as security guard at Walmart.

Sherron
Carpal \'Tunnel

#774796 - 01/18/12 08:15 PM

"There are deadbeats I wouldn't mind seeing in jail even if cs drops to zero. Being fired from a cushy assignment in Quwait would probably be good for him. He can ind a job as security guard at Walmart. "

The OP is trying to collect cs; getting the ncp fired, jailed and employed at minimum wage seems counterproductive to that.

Renny
addict

Re: Ex working and living in Kuwait as contractor [Re: Sherron]
      #774799 - 01/18/12 08:38 PM

The cs is 3 years in arrears on cs based on his army pay. The Kuwait junket is not benefiting his children. It seems in fact to have turned him into an irresponsible gigolo.

Sherron
Carpal \'Tunnel

#774800 - 01/18/12 08:42 PM

"The cs is 3 years in arrears on cs based on his army pay. The Kuwait junket is not benefiting his children. It seems in fact to have turned him into an irresponsible gigolo. "

And having him fired, jailed and working a minimum wage job will benefit the children? He is working a job with garnishable wages, why would you try to change that when cs is so easily enforced now?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3268

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: