Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Stepfamily Issues

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Cassie23
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 10/07/05
FILING TAXES- do your own or...
      #774762 - 01/18/12 02:17 PM

go someplace like H&R Block??

A FB friend posted the question... Do you do your own tax filing or go somewhere? I couldn't believe how many people go to H&R Block because they feel they get back more money when going there. One even said that if you don't go to H&R Block, etc your return will most likely get "flagged" and you will be audited. Now I think we had this discussion last year and a few of you decided to get your own software and file (gr8dad- I believe you were one?).

So what do most people do? And do you really feel like you get back "THOUSANDS more" having H&R Block do your tax return? We've been filing our own taxes for years and years, so just wondering what everyone else does?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LexieBelle
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 11/07/10
Re: FILING TAXES- do your own or... [Re: Cassie23]
      #774763 - 01/18/12 02:41 PM

I don't think WHO does your taxes makes any difference whatsoever. As I have personally learned , the IRS just has triggers. They are automatic, as far as I know, and if your return hits one of those triggers? Jesus Christ could have done your return, you're getting audited. I couldn't have done anything to AVOID the audit either.. well, other than not claim stuff but what I claimed was totally allowable.. it just pushed me over whatever their little trigger cap is. That's it.

Fine start to 2012 and a great Christmas present from 2011.. ROFLMAO...

gr8Dad
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/07/04
      #774764 - 01/18/12 02:46 PM

I noticed that the SAME questions the H & R Block guy was asking me, Turbo Tax asked me. I use Turbo Tax, have for the last three years, love it.

--------------------
Why give a "senior" discount, they have had plenty of time to raise the money...

craftywoman
old hand

Reged: 08/16/08
      #774765 - 01/18/12 02:47 PM

We have a tax guy that does ours for us..as far as H&R goes..I think they make you sign something like loan papers with your return..I went there after my divorce and then changed my mind and went to another tax person. I took them my paper work from H&R and they said what they had me sign was a loan ..that's how I was going to get my taxes back so soon..not real sure what they were talking about..Maybe they take a cut of your return for getting it back so quick?? The trust fund that I have is done by our lawyer and they are done quarterly. H&R does have a peace of mind thing that you can pay for that covers any mistakes that they make. If you don't pay for it and a mistake is found down the road..they will tell you tough luck, your on your own.

asurvivor
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/14/05
      #774766 - 01/18/12 02:49 PM

I do my own! I've had some tricky years with gains and losses, sales of stocks,etc. So not only did I do my own taxes but I also paid to have them done to make sure I did everything correct (( : and the numbers came out the same so I stopped not trusting myself. And for the record, it doesn't matter who does your taxes, IRS can audit anyone of us at any time. There is no golden circle that protects your return!!!

LexieBelle
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: FILING TAXES- do your own or... [Re: gr8Dad]
      #774767 - 01/18/12 02:50 PM

I used Turbo Tax for many many years.. switched to TaxAct 3 years ago. I found it to be much more user friendly than Turbo Tax, more intensive, and it's cheaper than TurboTax.

RJ1
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 12/19/05
      #774768 - 01/18/12 02:53 PM

For the past 10 years I've used the H&R Block website and have filed my own. I pay around $40 for federal with a free state return. It's easy, but I do keep impeccable records for everything just in case. My girlfriend, having much more time than me, will use several online programs and input everything, and will actually pay for the one that gives her the biggest refund as they vary. My Mom and Dad estimate quarterly and they have a much more complicated return. I would never attempt to do their taxes, and they've been audited multiple times. Mom goes to her own tax accountant.

Gecko
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Third rock from the sun
      #774769 - 01/18/12 02:54 PM

I couldn't believe how many people go to H&R Block because they feel they get back more money when going there. One even said that if you don't go to H&R Block, etc your return will most likely get "flagged" and you will be audited.

---> Obviously H&R Block's advertising dollars have been well spent.

---> (knock on wood)...I have never been audited. I do taxes for several friends, including their businesses and they have never been audited.

And do you really feel like you get back "THOUSANDS more" having H&R Block do your tax return?

---> If the sheeple would read the small print in the commercial, it SAYS that the refunds being portrayed are NOT typical.

---> But on the average...no. Not with the availability of such idiot-proof tax software like Turbo Tax that asks you a series of 'yes' and 'no' questions and then builds your return based upon those answers.

--------------------
If you air your dirty linen in public, expect people to comment on the skid marks!

Reilly
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/05/05
Loc: right here ----->
Re: FILING TAXES- do your own or... [Re: RJ1]
      #774770 - 01/18/12 02:56 PM

I use TaxAct as well...no problems...

I think most of the programs now do just as good a job as places like H&R Block...

Those Instant Tax places take so much of your money, that if you can at all manage to answer the questions and do the work, you're better off to do them yourself...

--------------------
Ever notice how 'What the hell' is always the right answer?~Marilyn Monroe

Sherron
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 11/25/06
      #774771 - 01/18/12 02:56 PM

"So what do most people do? And do you really feel like you get back "THOUSANDS more" having H&R Block do your tax return?"

Used a CPA once because my tax situation was more complicated than I felt comfortable dealing with, and it was well worth the money spent because the circumstances were very unique. Local business though, not H&R Block. Otherwise, it's been turbotax.com for me for almost a decade now.

Tweeby
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/05/04
      #774774 - 01/18/12 03:07 PM

I worked at H&R Block many years ago, loved it because I made a lot of money.

Doesn't matter who does your taxes or if you do it yourself there are redflags that the IRS looks for to audit, at least what I was told by people who used to be an IRS auditors.

Personally I don't see why you need to go to them. If you feel like you need to why not have them look over your return for free? They have to give you back anything you give them but you pay before they send your return in.

If your return is tricky or your concerned about the tax laws for your specific sitution than I would use a tax service for their guarantee. I worked on a return that I had the management look over before I sent it to be filed, I was unsure of exactly the law and it could of been seen different ways. If the guy was audited than H&R Block would be at the audit with the guy and if the law was determined to be different than what we 'viewed' it as than the guy just had to pay the additional fees and H&R Block would pay the fines. It was a difficult return that was not common. We had a few people looking up the laws on this specific situation.

Not all H&R Block preparers are knowledgeable and do the returns correctly. I knew a few that had problems with the some of the common situations. I corrected my brother's returns and he used a CPA tax preparer. My brother and his wife was paying taxes on what his wife received from her ex, it was CS not alimony. She was never married and her ex paid CO CS only.

Miranda
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: North of Mexico
      #774775 - 01/18/12 03:12 PM

One of my adjunct co-workers works for the IRS in Austin. He always says the majority of his audits are actually done by H&R Block.

--------------------
13.1...because I am only half crazy!

LeAnne
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 08/18/05
Loc: missouri
      #774777 - 01/18/12 03:41 PM

CPA with the business, rental and personal. Not touching the taxes with a 10 foot pole. Not that I couldn't, I have it all in order, just prefer a professional look at it too. Plus she fills out all the forms and gives me addressed envelopes with little high lighted stickers of where I need to sign.
She does them every quater and end of the year, plus personal for 450.00.

--------------------
Empty Nesting

youngatheart
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 09/03/05
      #774779 - 01/18/12 04:17 PM

I use an online filing company (think Turbo Tax or H&R Block online), and have been doing so for years. Never audited (knock on wood).

I would never pay the cost that the service places want to do exactly what I can on my taxes.

DedicatedDad
veteran

Reged: 09/05/04
Re: FILING TAXES- do your own or... [Re: Sherron]
      #774782 - 01/18/12 05:21 PM

I've used Turbo tax or tax act since the 1990's. With Turbo Tax, for an extra $40, they will cover 100% of the cost if you are audited.

javajunkiee
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/08
Loc: SC
      #774785 - 01/18/12 05:42 PM

I've been using TaxAct for 3? 4? years and never had an issue with the IRS.

Now this year we're trying to decide if we're going to file jointly or married filing separately. I don't know which way will put more $$ in our pocket, so I may do H&R for the peace of mind.

I've always had a handle on filing *my* taxes, but doing it with DH and a dependent is unknown territory.

ETA - I get a chuckle out of the commercials advertising the "get your refund loan in 2 weeks!". I've not had a refund take longer than that since 2009s, and I don't have to pay a loan fee to get MY money.

--------------------
Marriage doesn't come with a money-back guarantee.

Edited by javajunkiee (01/18/12 05:47 PM)

M5M5
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 07/29/05
      #774786 - 01/18/12 05:46 PM

We used to go to H&R block every year. And you were paying them anywhere between $200-$300 to prepare them...for something I could do at home, using their software, for free. I've been doing it myself since 2008 or 2009...saves me about $300. I've not been audited yet. The only notice we got was in October...and that was b/c BM claimed the kids on OUR year...not because we didn't go to a tax professional.

Cassie23
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: FILING TAXES- do your own or... [Re: DedicatedDad]
      #774789 - 01/18/12 06:19 PM

Same here. Been using TaxCut or Turbo since 1996, I believe with no issues. I read something last year about the people who do get flagged. There is a certain percentage per income for things like charitable contributions, etc. if you seem to have more contributions than the "norm" then your tax return could get flagged.

Avaya
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 02/09/06
Loc: Arkansas
      #774795 - 01/18/12 07:52 PM

Well, you know, obviously I do my own, lol.

I would NEVER recommend H&R Block, I have corrected more of their returns, its crazy.

The average person could to their own, it's not as complicated as people think, I think they're just intimidated. Yes, there are plenty of times when the average person needs a CPA (a business, day trades,passive income...).

--------------------
Eternity is too long to be wrong.

RJ1
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: FILING TAXES- do your own or... [Re: Avaya]
      #774798 - 01/18/12 08:36 PM

Yeah, the one time I physically went to HRBlock they just made up stuff because I didn't have all my paperwork. Just throwing down numbers. It was scary actually. Thinking back, I've made so many mistakes doing my own taxes. Including parking and medical/dental premiums was one. Using the entire car tag price instead of just the ad valorem taxes. Oh what else...all kinds of little mistakes. I've got it down to a science now. I pull together all my numbers first. Write it all down. Then get on the computer to file. It makes it so much easier and faster. I got my W2 today. I'll be paying off my car with my refund.

Gecko
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Third rock from the sun
Re: FILING TAXES- do your own or... [Re: javajunkiee]
      #774809 - 01/18/12 09:45 PM

Now this year we're trying to decide if we're going to file jointly or married filing separately.

---> Unless there are special circumstances, 'married filing separately' is a lot more expensive. You can run your taxes through Turbo Tax online to see which is the best way to go.

--------------------
If you air your dirty linen in public, expect people to comment on the skid marks!

Avaya
Carpal \'Tunnel

#774810 - 01/18/12 09:48 PM

.....medical and dental premiums are allowed, added to other medical expenses, subject to 7.5% of agi.....

--------------------

Loretta
Carpal \'Tunnel

#774814 - 01/18/12 11:17 PM

I use a CPA for business and personal. I used turbo tax before I owned a business and it was no problem. Now, like Leanne??? I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole. Ugh, just the mention of the IRS makes me cringe. I used to look forward to my taxes, I got a nice return, now I owe, took the fun right out of it!

Char9
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/03/05
      #774820 - 01/19/12 04:54 AM

H does ours, does that count as someone else doing my taxes? LOL. Seriously, we do turbo tax. Why pay someone unless you want to max your deductions? BTW, does anyone know if you can deduct flying lessons as part of your "career" change? SS goes into the AF soon, so just wondered.

Cassie23
Carpal \'Tunnel

#774821 - 01/19/12 05:11 AM

.....medical and dental premiums are allowed, added to other medical expenses, subject to 7.5% of agi.....

--------------------

We have a lot of these, but never enough. Also sucks for us we cannot claim the tuition we pay for SD because we make too much...

RJ1
Carpal \'Tunnel

#774828 - 01/19/12 07:59 AM

Mine are pre-tax.

From HRBlock: Medical insurance premiums can be deducted. However, you can't deduct pre-tax salary contributions you make to an employer-sponsored health insurance plan.

I always include medical expenses I can deduct although I know it won't help with Federal. Someone once told me it may help on State. I'm not real sure, but I include it anyway. Do you know? Because that would be one less thing to pull together.

LexieBelle
Carpal \'Tunnel

#774829 - 01/19/12 08:01 AM

I believe that medical expenses need to be more than 7.5% of your adjusted gross income, so one would need to have a substantial amount of medical expenses to make it worthwhile.

RJ1
Carpal \'Tunnel

#774830 - 01/19/12 08:13 AM

From googling: Also, there is a significant difference in the calculation of the AGI limitation for medical deductions. On the federal return, otherwise deductible medical expenses are actually deducted only to the extent that they exceed 7 1/2% of Federal AGI. Alabama law, however, allows medical expenses to be deducted to the extent that they exceed 4% of Alabama AGI.

ahhhhh...I see now how it may be used in Alabama. Nice. We are never sick, but I think I'll keep including just in case. It's also an interesting number to see.

Avaya
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: FILING TAXES- do your own or... [Re: Char9]
      #774831 - 01/19/12 08:18 AM

[quote] Why pay someone unless you want to max your deductions? [/quote]

Someone else cannot get you more deductions than you can get for yourself. :) Just read the instructions and if you take it line by line, it's not difficult.

--------------------

RJ1
Carpal \'Tunnel

#774832 - 01/19/12 08:19 AM

Last year, I was stumped on that Make Work Pay (or whatever it was called). I winged it, and I did it correctly. I know I'm weird, but I enjoy doing my taxes. I know I'm getting a refund, and I learn something new every year.

Miranda
Carpal \'Tunnel

#774835 - 01/19/12 08:45 AM

[quote]
We have a lot of these, but never enough. Also sucks for us we cannot claim the tuition we pay for SD because we make too much... [/quote]

I thought you got to claim the deduction regardless of income up to $4,000? (Thanks to President Obama.) I did not know it had an income cap on it!!

--------------------

Cassie23
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: FILING TAXES- do your own or... [Re: Miranda]
      #774839 - 01/19/12 09:29 AM

Unless it has changed this year- last year it did and we missed it by a smidge! That's why we considered letting SD claim herself, but truthfully she couldn't say she paid for over 1/2 her own expenses.

Avaya
Carpal \'Tunnel

#774864 - 01/19/12 11:48 AM

If you can't use it as a deduction, see if you can use it as a credit. After a certain AGI, the credit, if available, will be split between a refundable credit and a non-refundable credit (which either way wont help you if you don't owe, but will if you do).

--------------------

Cassie23
Carpal \'Tunnel

#774876 - 01/19/12 12:00 PM

Thanks Avaya- good to know for the future, right now we always get back, but that may change next year as we are changing a few things.

Miranda
Carpal \'Tunnel

#774881 - 01/19/12 12:11 PM

[quote]If you can't use it as a deduction, see if you can use it as a credit. After a certain AGI, the credit, if available, will be split between a refundable credit and a non-refundable credit (which either way wont help you if you don't owe, but will if you do). [/quote]

That is what I was told last year by our tax preparer. She stated that we would be able claim the amount paid somehow up to 4K.

--------------------

Miranda
Carpal \'Tunnel

#774882 - 01/19/12 12:11 PM

[quote]Thanks Avaya- good to know for the future, right now we always get back, but that may change next year as we are changing a few things. [/quote]

If you make too much to claim certain deductions than how are you getting a refund? Are you having extra money withheld?

--------------------

Cassie23
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: FILING TAXES- do your own or... [Re: Miranda]
      #774898 - 01/19/12 01:23 PM

Yes we do. That will not be happening next year as we are going to get back everything during the year and not get a refund. The last few years we have had big refunds around $8k or so.

Cassie23
Carpal \'Tunnel

#774899 - 01/19/12 01:31 PM

Publication 17 states this, but I don't know about the credit side of it- if we were to pay instead of getting back.

Who Cannot Claim the Deduction

You cannot claim the tuition and fees deduction if any of the following apply.

Your filing status is married filing separately.

Another person can claim an exemption for you as a dependent on his or her tax return. You cannot take the deduction even if the other person does not actually claim that exemption.

Your modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) is more than $80,000 ($160,000 if filing a joint return).

You (or your spouse) were a nonresident alien for any part of 2011 and the nonresident alien did not elect to be treated as a resident alien for tax purposes. More information on nonresident aliens can be found in Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens.

You or anyone else claims an American opportunity or lifetime learning credit in 2011 with respect to expenses of the student for whom the qualified education expenses were paid.

elliesmom
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 11/07/05
      #775036 - 01/21/12 11:57 AM

I use HR Block online program basically for the math and having the forms nicely filled out. I have researched how to do my return properly because I have to calculate our withholding for each year. I like to owe around $20, but it is simply not possible right now. Even with DH claiming 21 dependents (on withholding), they automatically take 28% of his special pay no matter what. So we will get about 3k back as long as SS is in college. One year I found a glitch in HR Blocks program and almost switched to TurboTax because customer service was such a-holes about how the program couldn't be wrong. It took them a few days to take me seriously and fix it. But for now - they remember all my info and import it each year and it makes it easy.

--------------------
Forgiveness is...letting go of the hope that the past can be changed.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2907

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: