Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Spousal Support/Alimony

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
javajunkiee
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/08
Loc: SC
Massachusetts changes law
      #779450 - 03/09/12 11:33 PM

Hopefully this is the start of something good.

h ttp ww w cnn.com/2012/03/09/opinion/hitner-alimony-overhaul-pro/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

--------------------
Marriage doesn't come with a money-back guarantee.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hanzblinx
enthusiast

Reged: 08/13/10
Re: Massachusetts changes law [Re: javajunkiee]
      #779635 - 03/12/12 11:01 AM

And Galileo was pardoned by the Catholic church in 1999 for saying the earth revolves around the sun. Better late than never I suppose. It still makes me sick what the courts drag good men through.

javajunkiee
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/08
Loc: SC
Re: Massachusetts changes law [Re: hanzblinx]
      #779713 - 03/12/12 08:36 PM

Yep and it still makes me sick what some healthy, capable women are willing to put their ex-husbands thru because of a warped sense of entitlement, or worse, out of revenge.

--------------------
Marriage doesn't come with a money-back guarantee.

Gecko
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Third rock from the sun
      #779945 - 03/14/12 12:14 PM

Before the days of 'no-fault' and N.O.W and 'equitable distribution'...spousal support/alimony laws were ok.

--------------------
If you air your dirty linen in public, expect people to comment on the skid marks!

hanzblinx
enthusiast

Re: Massachusetts changes law [Re: Gecko]
      #779952 - 03/14/12 01:53 PM

[quote]Before the days of 'no-fault' and N.O.W and 'equitable distribution'...spousal support/alimony laws were ok. [/quote]

Before the days of no-fault my ex would have been exposed for being a harlot. Funny how courts find fault on a daily basis, but not when it comes to women's big alimony payday.

Maury
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: This Asylum --->
      #779953 - 03/14/12 02:04 PM

Actually fault, including infidelity, can be used as a consideration in determining spousal support in some states. West Virginia and North Carolina are such a States. Florida also allows a court to look at misconduct for spousal support purposes based on case law. I am sure there are others.

coco
recently joined

Reged: 07/23/10
      #779962 - 03/14/12 03:28 PM

Hopefully some of the provisions of the new Massachusetts law are replicated in other states, like the cohabitation and retirement rules, but quite frankly, some of the provisions still suck. You can still end up paying alimony for longer than you were married, for example.

No fault still rules in Massachusetts, also.

On a down note, the Florida alimony reform was completely squashed by the SNAKES of the Florida Bar Association. It passed the House by a huge margin, but the bill's Senate sponsor was bought off by the Florida Bar, and refused to submit the bill for a vote in the Senate, and it died. There are whispered rumors that he had no intention of EVER submitting the bill, and was stringing everyone along through the entire process. What a s*&^head.

Scumbag lawyers at it again. Is there any wonder that they are despised?

Gecko
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Third rock from the sun
      #779966 - 03/14/12 03:44 PM

Before the days of no-fault my ex would have been exposed for being a harlot.

---> Men don't 'pay' either when they cheat.

Funny how courts find fault on a daily basis, but not when it comes to women's big alimony payday.

---> You DO realize don't you, that the average women does NOT receive a 'big alimony payday'. And if you're going to lump all women into the 'greedy ho b*tches'...let's talk about 'greedy ho b@st@rds'.

---> We'll start with the guys, who when their girlfriend says she's pregnant, ask "are you sure it's mine?" or "it's your fault" or "you need to get an abortion".

---> Then we'll move onto the guys seem to have real difficult with keeping with trousers zipped; you know the ones...that have 6 different kids with 6 different women. The majority of these men can support one...maybe two, but more than that?!?

---> Then there are the 'dead beat dads'...talking about the men who can afford to pay child support but don't. The 'walk-away dads'...the ones that choose not to see their kids and worse, go on to start new 'families'. And the 'disney dads'...the ones who only come around when they're trying to impress their newest girlfriends.

---> And I can go on, but the reality is...there are MORE good, decent people than there are 'greedy ho b*tches/b@st@rds, but good, decent folks don't make it into the news or onto forums like this.

--------------------
If you air your dirty linen in public, expect people to comment on the skid marks!

hanzblinx
enthusiast

#779971 - 03/14/12 03:56 PM

[quote]
---> You DO realize don't you, that the average women does NOT receive a 'big alimony payday'. And if you're going to lump all women into the 'greedy ho b*tches'...let's talk about 'greedy ho b@st@rds'. [/quote]

According to the IRS 96% of alimony is collected by women. The other 4% is men acting like women. No-fault divorce and alimony should never co-exist. It only gives women incentive to sleep around, knowing they will be rewarded by the courts for it.

coco
recently joined

Reged: 07/23/10
      #779974 - 03/14/12 04:24 PM

[quote]Before the days of no-fault my ex would have been exposed for being a harlot.

---> Men don't 'pay' either when they cheat.

Funny how courts find fault on a daily basis, but not when it comes to women's big alimony payday.

---> You DO realize don't you, that the average women does NOT receive a 'big alimony payday'. And if you're going to lump all women into the 'greedy ho b*tches'...let's talk about 'greedy ho b@st@rds'.

---> We'll start with the guys, who when their girlfriend says she's pregnant, ask "are you sure it's mine?" or "it's your fault" or "you need to get an abortion".

---> Then we'll move onto the guys seem to have real difficult with keeping with trousers zipped; you know the ones...that have 6 different kids with 6 different women. The majority of these men can support one...maybe two, but more than that?!?

---> Then there are the 'dead beat dads'...talking about the men who can afford to pay child support but don't. The 'walk-away dads'...the ones that choose not to see their kids and worse, go on to start new 'families'. And the 'disney dads'...the ones who only come around when they're trying to impress their newest girlfriends.

The last time I looked, this was the Spousal Support forum. Why are you in here blathering about guys getting their girlfriends pregnant and not paying child support?

---> And I can go on, but the reality is...there are MORE good, decent people than there are 'greedy ho b*tches/b@st@rds, but good, decent folks don't make it into the news or onto forums like this. [/quote]

Women are the higher earner in 35% of marriages now. It is inevitable that more and more of them will end up paying alimony, and as that happens there will be a groundswell of support for alimony reform. Some of the strongest supporters of the Massachusetts reform were women who were paying alimony, or who were afraid to get married to their boyfriend because *he* was paying alimony. Alimony ultimately hurts everyone, an that includes the people receiving it. It is a throwback to an era when women were the property of men, and it deserves to die. Transitional assistance to allow a non-working partner to gain job skills is a great idea. Beyond that, it is just welfare, and almost every state has provisions limiting welfare these days. If you are on the dole, you either get some job skills, or you are kicked to the curb. Why should someone be exempt from reality just because they happened to marry someone?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3996

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: