Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Property and Debt

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
carolinalady105
recently joined

Reged: 03/21/12
Debt
      #780694 - 03/21/12 10:09 PM

My husband has opened several credit card account in his name only. I am seeking a divorce and want to know if I am liable for the credit card debt. Also, he purchased a boat a few weeks prior to our marriage 5 years ago. The boat and loan are in his name. Am I liable for that loan?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
akrkck
journeyman

Reged: 03/22/12
Re: Debt [Re: carolinalady105]
      #781047 - 03/26/12 02:28 PM

I don't know what state you're from, so I can't answer for certain, but in NJ, both parties are equally responsible for any debt accrued during the marriage even if the other person had no knowledge of it, except in the case of "gross misconduct" in which case you'd have to file for "financial infidelity" which is very dificult to prove and defend.
Anything owned by an individual prior to the marriage remains the individual's property, so the boat would remain his, but you assumed all of his debt after you were married. So as sucky as it is, he keeps the boat, but you are responsible for half of the remainder of the loan.

My ex-wife had a couple dozen credit cards that I never knew about. Even had the bills sent to a friend's house so I wouldn't find out. I would have been liable for half of them, but she never showed up to court and I got a default judgement. I was VERY lucky.

Goodmom
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/17/07
Re: Debt [Re: carolinalady105]
      #781054 - 03/26/12 06:36 PM

[quote]My husband has opened several credit card account in his name only. I am seeking a divorce and want to know if I am liable for the credit card debt. Also, he purchased a boat a few weeks prior to our marriage 5 years ago. The boat and loan are in his name. Am I liable for that loan? [/quote]

Any assets and debt incurred during the marriage is joint regardless of whose name it is in.

Now to address the boat bought before the marriage. While he would get the boat, any increase in equity during the marriage (FMV minus the loan) may be subject to being split. The loan is going to follow who gets the boat.

Assets AND debt acquired before the marriage remain the responsibility of the person who took out the loan.

Goodmom
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/17/07
Re: Debt [Re: akrkck]
      #781055 - 03/26/12 06:39 PM

[quote]Anything owned by an individual prior to the marriage remains the individual's property, so the boat would remain his, but you assumed all of his debt after you were married. So as sucky as it is, he keeps the boat, but you are responsible for half of the remainder of the loan. [/quote]

That is not true. She is only responsible for debt acquired AFTER the marriage. Any debt that he acquired BEFORE the marriage is 100% his responsibility.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2095

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: