Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Financial Issues

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
drownersz
recently joined

Reged: 03/18/12
Loc: Columbus, OH
Husband is refusing to pay mortgage - please help!
      #780322 - 03/18/12 09:11 PM

My husband and I have been separated for 4 months and had initially made a verbal agreement regarding finances that is pretty fair. We have a house in Columbus, OH and the loan is in both our names (me as the primary, him as co-borrower) Since I am not living in the house, he is paying the mortgage and house bills (utilities, cable, and his truck payment). I am paying for our credit cards (about $10,000 balance) and cellphone account we share. Because I told him that I want a divorce, he is planning on no longer paying the mortgage but will not move out so I cannot rent out the house. Another issue is we bought the house through the 1st time homebuyer credit and we cannot sell the house until after owning it for 3 years or else we pay the $8000 back. Our 3 years is up March 31st 2013. What can I do? I do not want to ruin my credit but I am at the point that I want to be free from this marriage and he is not being reasonable. Neither one of us are financially well off and cannot really afford an expensive divorce but he is not being logical. What do I do?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Goodmom
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/17/07
Re: Husband is refusing to pay mortgage - please help! [Re: drownersz]
      #780330 - 03/19/12 06:17 AM

Do you have a court order that states he is to pay the mortgage and that he has exclusive use of the house? If not, then move back into the house (this way you don't have to pay rent on top of making the mortgage payment) and stop paying any non-utility bill that is in his name only. Be sure to let him know that he is now responsible for paying those bills well before the due date.

Renny
addict

Reged: 09/24/11
      #781774 - 04/06/12 09:13 AM

If there is no court order, you should file for divorce (if you haven't done so) and get a temporary order ordering him to pay the mortgage or vacate. You have to resign yourself to spend some money on attorney fees and get this in front of a judge. Good luck.

TexasDad2002
recently joined

Reged: 10/24/11
      #782539 - 04/10/12 01:05 PM

Just be glad your not a man.

I was ordered to pay the mortgage, plus over $6K a month for living expenses to my STBX while she got sole use of the house. You sound like you have a great deal by comparison.

CarolAnita
recently joined

Reged: 03/08/12
      #787176 - 06/21/12 03:53 PM

You will have to find out what the laws are where you live. Typically whichever name is on the mortgage is the one responsible for it and sometimes just being married means you are both responsible. Use a mediator as they are a lot less expensive than lawyers.

Jade4Az
recently joined

Reged: 04/21/13
Re: Husband is refusing to pay mortgage - please help! [Re: CarolAnita]
      #802348 - 04/21/13 11:49 PM

All good advice, being primary on the loan and missing payments will impact you negatively and divorce alone is painful & messy. Find out the laws in OH, get agreement or temp orders in writing ASAP. Mediators can help, true can be less expensive since average hourly rate for attorney is $285 however no good negotiations can occur when parties are emotionally charged. Is there any steps you can take to TIDAN (take it down a notch) with soon to be ex so less about emotions and more about making good business decisions to ensure both of your credit ratings stay in good standing?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2907

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: