Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Women's Rights

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
burowone
recently joined

Reged: 06/03/11
divorce rights
      #749905 - 06/03/11 11:55 AM

I am currently separated from my husband, he resides in montana and I have moved to Colorado. I do not want a divorce however he may be filing soon. He is 67 and I am 61 I want to stay married to him because I would like to get his social security if he passes away. Neither one of us will get married again, My husband has cancer is in remission and his life span is between 2 to 10 years. He is afraid I will take everything from his children if we dont get a divorce. I just want the social security for my old age nothing else so I suggested a legal separation. I dont want to hurt my husband finacially but I invested 12 years was a fairly decent wife and I just want to be taken care of in my old age. I should mention the kids, his and mine came between us and we lost a connection, he is a good man and I dont want to ruin him, just want security in my old age :confused: Have to be married ten years to get social security we have been married 5 1/2 years, together 12. Does this sound like to much to ask under the circumstances?

Edited by burowone (06/03/11 12:18 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DedicatedDad
veteran

Reged: 09/05/04
Re: divorce rights [Re: burowone]
      #749917 - 06/03/11 02:41 PM

Yes it does sound like too much. If you were married 9 1/2 years, I would understand.

Debi
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/03/05
Re: divorce rights [Re: burowone]
      #750309 - 06/06/11 06:55 PM

If his life expentancy is between 2-10 years you could end up not getting his SS even if you remain married.

The truth is if he wants to divorce you aren't going to stop him but if Montana is a community property state half of what's his is yours anyway. If you truly only want to stay married for the remote possibility of a larger SS check then point that out to him.

--------------------
When we were together, you said you'd die for me. Now, I think it's time you kept your promise.

kimw
recently joined

Reged: 04/27/12
Re: divorce rights [Re: Debi]
      #783881 - 04/27/12 04:33 PM

I have been ill since I was 23. My husband & I have been married 25 years.I was 17 when we married. He works away from home. I have not been able to work...have tried little odd & end jobs but was terminated due to missing so much work. He comes home & says I have met someone new,I want a divorce. What are my rights? He wants me to settle for a $350 house note & $300 a month for 2 years. This just doesn't sound fair. He makes $100,000+ a year. We live in Mississippi. And I DO NOT want this divorce.

Edited by kimw (04/27/12 04:35 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3380

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: