Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Stepfamily Issues

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
finz
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/17/08
Re: WTH! [Re: toomom]
      #787861 - 07/04/12 04:49 PM

[quote]Spanking a child with a belt like an animal that leaves a mark or something is WRONG. I'm sorry but how could you say that it is ok is beyond me. Would you or M5M5's husband hit the family dog with a belt because it stepped out of line? [/quote]

Troll comment/question, so here's my troll answer.....

I've never felt the need to slap my dog with a belt. A quick tug on her choke collar and she steps back in line quick enough.

Unfortunately, I can't find one big enoughto fit over my dang teenagers' heads.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
finz
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: WTH! [Re: M5M5]
      #787862 - 07/04/12 04:53 PM

[quote]Thanks, English...I agree with everything you posted. I, too, was spanked with a belt when I was a kid. My older brothers got it more than me, and I should have got it more than I did! lol We didn't get spanked alot...because after a few times...receiving the "look" was enough to make us behave. I look back and am grateful for the discipline I got as a child. At 17, my SD isn't there yet...but I'm sure one day she will be...probably shortly after she has kids of her own. [/quote]

I love the Mark Twain quote......and it certainly applies to my attitude when I was a teen.....

"When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."

Gecko
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Third rock from the sun
Re: WTH! [Re: finz]
      #787864 - 07/04/12 05:38 PM

what is considered 'acceptable' punishment for children HAS changed over the years

---> Yeah...and society as a whole is so much worse for it! You have kids of all ages bringing guns and knives to school and killing other kids..and teachers. You have little kids that are so totally out of control, that the police are called in and handcuffs are being used. You have 12-year old girls sexting and sending nude photos of themselves. You higher instances of bullying and suicide.

---> MY GOD...the USSC recently ruled that children who are tried as adults cannot be given life sentences with parole (or whatever). That they even had to RULE on something like that is telling in itself!

---> I wasn't 'abused' as a child, I was punished. I got my mouth washed out with soap for saying a 'bad' word...didn't hurt me and I didn't swear after that (at least not in front of my parents). I got sent to bed without supper twice...the first time for not coming to the supper table on time, the second time for bad table manners...never did either again. Got my butt beat the second time I didn't put Dad's tools away...also got extra chores because I ruined his Phillips screwdriver in the process. And we were expected to do chores WITHOUT getting paid for it.

--------------------
If you air your dirty linen in public, expect people to comment on the skid marks!

Gecko
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: WTH! [Re: Maury]
      #787865 - 07/04/12 05:44 PM

or that leaves a red mark

---> An example of the law being taken to extremes.

--------------------
If you air your dirty linen in public, expect people to comment on the skid marks!

finz
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: WTH! [Re: Gecko]
      #787867 - 07/04/12 10:14 PM

[quote]

---> I wasn't 'abused' as a child, I was punished.

I got my mouth washed out with soap for saying a 'bad' word

I got sent to bed without supper twice

Got my butt beat the second time

I didn't put Dad's tools away...also got extra chores because I ruined his Phillips screwdriver in the process.

And we were expected to do chores WITHOUT getting paid for it. [/quote]

Sounds similar to my upbringing......and "I wasn't 'abused' as a child, I was punished." was phrased PERFECTLY !

You were allowed to TOUCH your dad's tools ? I think we may have lost our hand if we tried to tough those......so we DID NOT touch them.

SockPuppet1
journeyman

Reged: 12/30/11
      #787961 - 07/06/12 09:04 AM

Those are her memories. Were you there when her Dad Beat her or couldn't control his temper? Maybe this stuff happened the way she said? It is abusive to hit anyone with a belt by the way. If not. does your husband beat you when you disobey him? Abuse is abuse. Even worse when done to a child.

SockPuppet1
journeyman

Reged: 12/30/11
Re: WTH! [Re: gr8Dad]
      #787962 - 07/06/12 09:15 AM

A grown man being unablle to control his temper was scary to a kid. I can only imagine how scared she felt if she remembers it years later. Your husband sounds like an ass and so do you if you can't see that. WTH? WTH indeed.

Avaya
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 02/09/06
Loc: Arkansas
      #788096 - 07/09/12 09:35 AM

Okay, you read his mail?

That aside, if I was him, I wouldn't respond in writing; I'd do it face to face. And no matter how much she loves YOU, I think he should do it alone so that she gets the story from him (even if he doesn't do it 'right', I think a MAN needs to step up and do it HIS way) and so she has a better chance of feeling like the matter is settled.

--------------------
Eternity is too long to be wrong.

Avaya
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 02/09/06
Loc: Arkansas
Re: WTH! [Re: toomom]
      #788097 - 07/09/12 09:40 AM

[quote]You spank with a parent's hand on the bottom [/quote]

A parent's hands are for LOVING the child; a child IMO should be spanked with a belt or a similar item so that they never equate a parents hands with hurting.

--------------------
Eternity is too long to be wrong.

Gecko
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: WTH! [Re: Avaya]
      #788105 - 07/09/12 11:21 AM

Okay, you read his mail?

---> Why not? I always read my husband's mail and he read mine...we had no secrets from another.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating: *
Topic views: 3684

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: