Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Women's Rights

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
ebyrd8
recently joined

Reged: 05/18/06
Being put out to pasture
      #111724 - 05/18/06 09:37 PM

I am 70 yrs old and have been married to my husband for 12+ yrs. I had been widowed for almost 3 yrs then. After we were married I learned I was his seventh wife and his own mother had even divorced him. Now he has filed for a divorce and is trying to leave me with nothing. I had a little nest egg at the time we got married but have invested it into our home etc. and now my only income is Social Security. In addition my health has declined rapidly in recent years so health care coverage is a major concern. He is retired military and I have been covered under the Tricare for life plan. I dont believe I will be able to afford the kind of coverage I require to cover my health problems and would like to know if I can make him maintain my health coverage. He also seems to think he can disolve the marriage leaving me with nothing but the clothes on my back leaving me destitute. I am aware that he has someone else in the wings but have no proof to present in court. I dont know what to do. I am trying to obtain legal help but my finances are very limited. Could anyone offer any advice to me..I dont know what to do or where to start.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
almostheaven
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: West Virginia
Re: Being put out to pasture [Re: ebyrd8]
      #111728 - 05/18/06 09:43 PM

You shouldn't have problems getting counsel, because they know that your husband is likely to be paying their bill. Your husband needs a wakeup call. With your age and over 10 years into the marriage, he's almost certainly to be paying alimony for the rest of his life. He's also going to be forced to either buy you out of the home or sell it and split the equity. His retirement? Hope he's ready to split it. And he's likely going to have to keep you on Tricare. He better rethink his position. He may be thinking the grass is greener. If he learns the truth, he may do an about face.

--------------------
Char Fox

Maury
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: This Asylum --->
Re: Being put out to pasture [Re: almostheaven]
      #111825 - 05/19/06 01:14 PM

You should contact a legal aid service in your area. Legal aid works with lower income people in family law matters.

An attorney is unlikely to take the case without a retainer. I know of no attorneys that would take a case on the basis of "maybe I will get fees ordered from the husband."

Gecko
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Third rock from the sun
Re: Being put out to pasture [Re: ebyrd8]
      #111862 - 05/19/06 03:16 PM

Given your age and length of marriage, you would be entitled to receive alimony.

You would be entitled to an equitable distribution of any maritial assets obtained and/or contributed to during the marriage.

You should also be able to make some kind of deal for your health insurance.

Unfortunately, you will not be able to use the fact that he was previously married or that his mother "divorced" him (whatever that implies) since you admit that you learned this shortly after the marriage and you continued to stay married to him.

As for obtaining legal assistance, contact the Bar Association, Legal Aid, Senior Services, etc.

--------------------
If you air your dirty linen in public, expect people to comment on the skid marks!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4484

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: