Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

State Specific Community Forums >> Florida Issues

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Randy
recently joined

Reged: 08/28/06
Orthodontic reimbursment?
      #140731 - 08/28/06 03:00 PM

My ex-wife is insisting on orthodontic procedures for two of our three children. Being that their teeth are in good shape, with just a few crooked I consider orthodontics cosmetic and am not in agreement to reimbursing half of the costs.

Our divorce decree states: “Ordering the parties to be equally responsible for any and all non reimbursable medical, dental, orthodontic, and ophthalmic expenses incurred on behalf of the minor children.”

Would I not have to agree on orthodontics before I am expected to reimburse her?

College educations are more important to me that perfectly straight teeth.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
matart1
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 09/01/05
Re: Orthodontic reimbursment? [Re: Randy]
      #140744 - 08/28/06 03:45 PM

have you taken the kids to another orthodontist to see this would be a cosmetic procedure or if it is needed medically?

and yes education is very important but straight teeth have an impact on how a person perceives themselves.

take the kids in for a second opinion. if it matches what the first orthodontist states - then do the right thing and fix your kid's teeth.
if it differs, then either reach a mutual agreement or find a third opinion who would validate the other 2.

--------------------
Life is a long lesson in humility.

Randy
recently joined

Reged: 08/28/06
Re: Orthodontic reimbursment? [Re: matart1]
      #140829 - 08/28/06 06:07 PM

Thus far the primary dentist has only referred us for orthodontic screenings. Visually their teeth are not perfect but not outwardly offensive. Good advice addict and keep in mind that our children are attractive.

My ex hooked up with a lesbian lover whom is quite wealthy thus their co-habitation is shrouded in secrecy. Exposing their joint income would blow cover and I do not want to put the children through that. I suspect exposing their income would slant any judgment more in my favor however, not to mention the aura of an untraditional, child-raising environment.

Inversely, I have a moderate but steady income and feel as though I am being milked.

Any other advice is appreciated.

matart1
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 09/01/05
Re: Orthodontic reimbursment? [Re: Randy]
      #141048 - 08/29/06 08:50 AM

as far as their incomes go - the other person's income has no bearing in court unless it is the only income available and your ex spouse is intentionally unemployed ( which sadly almost still has no impact in court )

as far as a lesbian lover.
not sure.
guess it would determine the type and mood of the judge that you go in front of.
attitudes are changing about same sexual relationships. not sure if you can make that a beef in court. guess it would depend on the judge and how good of an agrument the lawyers present.

but on a side note to keep in mind - if the judge allows it and you have made an enemy of this other woman then your will have incurred more problems other the years if their relationship might lasts. know what I mean....

--------------------
Life is a long lesson in humility.

LinusluvsSally
addict

Reged: 08/23/06
Loc: South Florida
Re: Orthodontic reimbursment? [Re: matart1]
      #141071 - 08/29/06 09:36 AM

In the end, in my humble opinion, what matters is what is best for the kids.

Chances are, the kids need braces. Buckle up and make sure that they get them. However, you have a right to ensure that the bill is not unreasonable.

It's perfectly okay to shop around for orthodontia. My first daughter's 24 month treatment cost $5100. She gets them off next month.

My next daughter is ready for them and the same dentist quoted $6100 this time. I said, "F THAT," and I went to 3 others. The prices ranged from $4100 to, get this, $11,900.

I went with the $4100 dentist. He came highly recommended and he's not that far away. This is all in SOUTH Florida, by the way.

The point is to just take care of the kids.

As for the ex and her lesbian lover, it is my opinion that you don't stand an angel's chance in hell of ever combining the lover's income with your wife's when it comes to the calculation of income used to support you children. It just aint gonna happen. If you are paying spousal support then you would have a good chance of having that eliminated due to the cohabitation. But the child support calculation, at best, would impute your wife's income based on what she could earn if she tried. The court will never expect the lover to contribute to the support of your kdis.

Simply_me
enthusiast

Reged: 02/13/06
Loc: Florida
Re: Orthodontic reimbursment? [Re: LinusluvsSally]
      #141601 - 08/30/06 03:31 PM

Randy....i hate to burst your bubble but.....the wealthy lesbian's income has no effect on anything in Florida....i have been divorced for 4 years and when you go to court they clearly state....the other person's(new wife/husband/whatever) income is not taken into consideration...they only look at you and your ex's income.

My ex is remarried and when we went to mediation his wife was not allowed to come....which neither of them were happy about. The mediator said that she had no say one way or another about anything to do with our kids...including child support, custody, visitation....my significant other was excluded also.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2770

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: