Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

State Specific Community Forums >> Florida Issues

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
mylife
recently joined

Reged: 09/21/06
Can an estranged spouse divorce......
      #148995 - 09/21/06 10:20 PM

...the other without their knowing it? I left my husband on Feb 13, 1999 for the last time. A yr later I filed and within a couple of months, he turned my world upside down with immature stunts. Too long of a story to get into on here as I could write for hours on what he has done. One of the things he did was lie in a sworn deposition. Not long after that, he made sure my car was repo'd by ignoring the judge's order to make car and insurance payments. He has stalked me and my daughter (she was a minor at the time) and I was too stressed from all his evil actions that I withdrew into my hole of despair and the filing fell from the dockets. I've moved from county to county so he can't find me because I know as soon as he sees me again, it will start all over again except this time I will fight back! My best friend says she has heard that a spouse can file and be granted a divorce without the knowledge of the other. Is this true? And if so, where do I go to find this out? :confused: I cannot afford another retainer and will probably have to go the DIY route or hopefully through my pre-paid legal plan that I now have with my job. I must say though that life has been a financial struggle ever since I left him but I've never been happier to be away from him!! Now I just want to move on in life!! I hope someone can help out and offer some direction. Thanks, Momma T

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LinusluvsSally
addict

Reged: 08/23/06
Loc: South Florida
Re: Can an estranged spouse divorce...... [Re: mylife]
      #149913 - 09/25/06 03:09 PM

If you have a pre-paid legal plan you have access to a lawyer to ask for advice. Even if you just picked a bunch of lawyers out of the yellow pages you could get almost all of them to give you an initial free consultation. Go ask a lawyer. In fact, go ask 20 lawyers and get all the free advice you can handle. Then you can decide how to proceed.

I don't know of any way that you can divorce in secret unless you file papers and claim you have no idea how to contact him but I'm sure it's not as simple as that.

mylife
recently joined

Reged: 09/21/06
Re: Can an estranged spouse divorce...... [Re: LinusluvsSally]
      #150977 - 09/28/06 05:14 AM

Thanks for your input. What I should have clarified was that he may have filed and obtained a dissolution without my knowing. (I don't read the papers.) I was hoping beyond hope so I wouldn't have to be subjected to the undue stress of having to even look at him again. What I did do was go to the county clerk's office and look through the file yesterday. My original filing was dismissed from the docket due to inactivity. I will be talking with my prepaid legal counselor to see what direction I need to take, effective and inexpensive. The clerk at the records office gave me a pamphlet on seeking help through Legal Aid, so we'll see. I'll come back and post more at another time. Thanks again!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5959

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: