Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Financial Issues

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
dealingdirty
recently joined

Reged: 10/23/06
A true Sociopath
      #160529 - 10/23/06 04:07 PM

My daughter's wedding was September 30th. My husbands father had cancer and was dieing but we made it to the wedding. That following day we headed up to my father in laws house. My husband wanted to leave after a couple of hours but its a 3.5 hour drive. I saw how bad his dad was so I told him I was gonna stay to represent him. He was livid and I couldn't understand why! I refused to go and at 5:20am that following morning, his father passed away. My husband wouldn't come up with his family as he said he had too much work to do, (we own 5 major businessess). I stayed and represented him in helping with funeral arrangements, etc. The night before the funeral he arrived. He informed me he wanted a divorce. We remarried after 16 years of being divorced. We have 3 children (grown) together. He has been putting property in my name for the 2.5 years we have been remarried. After I would put the property in my name, he would borrow hundreds of thousands against it. I am in debt now for over 2 million dollars of money he has spent on various things. I'm not sure what all he has bought with it or if perhaps he's been socking it away somewhere. Now he has offered me $50,000.00 and 2,500.00 a month for 2 years. The payroll taxes alone and taxes of property I've sold (or he has, via me) is well over that. I have an attorney but I haven't heard from him since the consultation. I'm wondering, will he be liable for anything?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LinusluvsSally
addict

Reged: 08/23/06
Loc: South Florida
Re: A true Sociopath [Re: dealingdirty]
      #160551 - 10/23/06 04:44 PM

Probably. When all the marital assets and marital liabilities are tallied up then the balance sheet will tell all.

You'll need to look closely at the terms those loans. Also, in the discovery phase of your divorce (you need a sharp attorney AND probably an investigator to search for hidden assets) you have a right to find out where all the proceeds of those loans has gone. Everything leaves a paper trail somewhere.

You need to make sure that he knows he will be in for a financial battle and that no offer he makes to you will be satisfactory. The reason for a battle is that you see signs that all is not as it appears. The signs don't lie. He's hiding stuff and it's probably for the sole purpose of not having to split it with you. I would fight tooth and nail to protect a future thhat you helped build as well.

Rebecca5
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Down home.
      #160587 - 10/23/06 06:36 PM

Get a great attorney and ask around for a sharp forensic accountant. The deal he's offering you is crap.

Oh...and yes, he'll be liable for something.....exactly what will depend on your local laws.

dealingdirty
recently joined

Re: A true Sociopath [Re: Rebecca5]
      #160798 - 10/24/06 11:59 AM

Thank you so much for your suggestions and support. He is trying to get me out of the house quickly for some reason. I can't even go to the Clinic to get extensive mammograms and an ultra sound they say they need, for fear he will change the locks. He already said my things will be packed and I can stay at our daughter's house...I refuse. This is my home too but I DO fear leaving and being locked out. My attorney says I should tell HIM to leave but that would do as much good as him telling me! I feel this will be a long hard ride for the both of us.

Rebecca5
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Down home.
      #160820 - 10/24/06 01:16 PM

If it's your house too, all you'd have to do is have the locks changed back. When you leave, take some proof of homeownership with you.

Hopefully, you're already gathering important documents and keeping track of finances as best you can. Copy everything....document everything.....no matter how small it may seem.

dealingdirty
recently joined

Re: A true Sociopath [Re: Rebecca5]
      #160843 - 10/24/06 02:45 PM

I have to find out if it is in my name or in his sister's. He is squeaky clean in terms of property...he always uses someone elses name because he has lien's against him from the IRS. I will check into it.

LinusluvsSally
addict

#160863 - 10/24/06 03:40 PM

How is he able to take loans on property that he has put in your name? You can only take a mortgage loan if all the people named on the deed agree. Did you agree to those loans?

dealingdirty
recently joined

Re: A true Sociopath [Re: LinusluvsSally]
      #160877 - 10/24/06 04:37 PM

Yes, his system was and is, I put property in my name and within the week, he goes to his private lender and takes out a loan in a couple of hundred of thousand dollars, I sign the papers, the lender gives him the money. And now, I have come to the grim reality that I am liable for the payoff of it. Yeah, I know....I'm pretty naieve.

LinusluvsSally
addict

#160978 - 10/25/06 07:57 AM

Since it's in your name, you could sell the properties to pay off the lenders. Or possibly go to that lender and borrow more against the equity, if any, to keep your name clear.

Buckeye
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 12/08/05
Loc: OH
Re: A true Sociopath [Re: LinusluvsSally]
      #161005 - 10/25/06 09:57 AM

Or, what about borrowing as much as you can from every property EXCEPT the one you want to keep and then let the chips fall where they may!!!

Actually, you need to get the advice of a good attorney and maybe even an accountant.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ***
Topic views: 5670

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: