Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> General Divorce Issues

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
mjjenki
recently joined

Reged: 11/28/07
I need to get my car title
      #326377 - 11/28/07 03:45 PM

I just finallized my divorce (YAY!) and under the divorce settlement I am to receive possession of a paid off car. The title is in her name but she claims she can't find it and wont go to the DMV to get a duplicate. How do I get the title?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Renee
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: The Palmetto State
Re: I need to get my car title [Re: mjjenki]
      #326452 - 11/28/07 07:24 PM

Call your DMV for certain, but I believe you would have to have them issue a replacement title and provide them with an original copy of the signed / certified decree granting you the vehicle.

Someone here just recently went thru this. Ck the Property and Debt board or the Financial Issues board.

Debi
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/03/05
Re: I need to get my car title [Re: mjjenki]
      #327906 - 12/02/07 05:08 PM

You said the car is paid off but is there a lien holder on the title? If there is your first tep if you don't already have it is to get a lien release. You don't say what state you are in but the lien holder would either be stamped on the title or there would be a seperate piece of paper. The release doesn't have to be signed ON the title or have the official release form for your state, although it does have to have a live signature (no photocopies.) If you no longer have the original or if it was stamped on the title just contact the lien holder and have them send a letter stating that the loan was satisfied.

This is where it could get tricky depending on your state. I live in WI and here you would go to the DMV pick up the forms and you could even get a new title printed right then and there. IL only prints titles through the DMV in Springfield so unless you physically go there you have to send everything in. Your best bet is to call the licensing and registration center in your state. If you post your state I may be able to give you a better answer. I used to work for an auto auction and have experience in getting duplicate and new titles from several states.

--------------------
When we were together, you said you'd die for me. Now, I think it's time you kept your promise.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4220

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: