Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Spousal Support/Alimony

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
JohannE
recently joined

Reged: 07/08/09
Spousal support estimate: married 7 years: CT
      #551962 - 07/08/09 10:19 PM

I've decided to get divorced. I'm trying to figure out how much SS I would have to pay.

We’ve been married for 7 years; however, 3 months after the marriage I came to the US (Connecticut). She stayed there (Czech Republic) because of the immigration issues. While she was there she lived with my parents and worked part-time as a teacher (BA degree) but with no financial responsibilities (I paid for everything). She came here a year ago and continued working for a pleasure (part-time in a department store: around $5000/year). She refused to work full time or to take more hours in the store. I work full time and part time (65 hours/week) and hardly make $50000 a year. We have no children, no property, $20000 debts (credit cards and student loan), and a car (partially paid).

I asked her to do pro se divorce since I cannot afford a lawyer. She said she will consider if I offer here enough for SS. How much should I offer her and for how long? She’s 29 years old, no health issues, nothing preventing her from supporting herself (except that she does not want to work more than few hours a week). She’s going to live with her uncle so I suppose won’t pay for anything (nothing new).

I know there is no formula to calculate SS but please try to estimate based on your experience / knowledge. I will appreciate any advises.

Thank you!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Yes_Dad
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 08/23/08
Re: Spousal support estimate: married 7 years: CT [Re: JohannE]
      #551997 - 07/09/09 06:46 AM

[quote]I've decided to get divorced. I'm trying to figure out how much SS I would have to pay.

We’ve been married for 7 years; however, 3 months after the marriage I came to the US (Connecticut). She stayed there (Czech Republic) because of the immigration issues. While she was there she lived with my parents and worked part-time as a teacher (BA degree) but with no financial responsibilities (I paid for everything). She came here a year ago and continued working for a pleasure (part-time in a department store: around $5000/year). She refused to work full time or to take more hours in the store. I work full time and part time (65 hours/week) and hardly make $50000 a year. We have no children, no property, $20000 debts (credit cards and student loan), and a car (partially paid).

I asked her to do pro se divorce since I cannot afford a lawyer. She said she will consider if I offer here enough for SS. How much should I offer her and for how long? She’s 29 years old, no health issues, nothing preventing her from supporting herself (except that she does not want to work more than few hours a week). She’s going to live with her uncle so I suppose won’t pay for anything (nothing new).

I know there is no formula to calculate SS but please try to estimate based on your experience / knowledge. I will appreciate any advises.

Thank you! [/quote]

LOL..She has no money for an attorney either. Does she think you are going to pay for her's? That on;y usually happens in one is filing frivolous after frivolous court motions. Where did she get the idea she would have a free attorney?

In addition, after 7 years, with one year here, you more than likely won't be ordered to pay any support.

Not sure on the immigration issues (of her or you)

JohannE
recently joined

Re: Spousal support estimate: married 7 years: CT [Re: Yes_Dad]
      #552399 - 07/09/09 04:17 PM

[quote] LOL..She has no money for an attorney either. Does she think you are going to pay for her's? That on;y usually happens in one is filing frivolous after frivolous court motions. Where did she get the idea she would have a free attorney?

In addition, after 7 years, with one year here, you more than likely won't be ordered to pay any support.

Not sure on the immigration issues (of her or you) [/quote]

Her uncle will finance everything so she does not care. I think I will have to pay her SS since I've been supporting her for last 7 years... Any ideas what would be a reasonable amount?

Her immigration issues are resolved (I am a citizen).

Yes_Dad
Carpal \'Tunnel

#552414 - 07/09/09 04:36 PM

[quote][quote] LOL..She has no money for an attorney either. Does she think you are going to pay for her's? That on;y usually happens in one is filing frivolous after frivolous court motions. Where did she get the idea she would have a free attorney?

Not sure on the immigration issues (of her or you) [/quote]

Her uncle will finance everything so she does not care. I think I will have to pay her SS since I've been supporting her for last 7 years... Any ideas what would be a reasonable amount?

Her immigration issues are resolved (I am a citizen). [/quote]

You supprted her in a foreihn ciuntry...yhay put a diifferent spin on everything

JohannE
recently joined

Re: Spousal support estimate: married 7 years: CT [Re: Yes_Dad]
      #552462 - 07/09/09 10:10 PM

So you think it may be better to hire an attorney and take it to the court hoping I won't be ordered to pay ?

Redlegg
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 10/05/06
      #552464 - 07/09/09 10:25 PM

She is not a citizen, who is financially responsible for her, who signed??????

JohannE
recently joined

Re: Spousal support estimate: married 7 years: CT [Re: Redlegg]
      #552466 - 07/09/09 10:38 PM

I did.

googledad
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 12/31/05
      #552476 - 07/10/09 12:07 AM

Her uncle could fully support her , she would STILL be eligible for public assistance without documented income . IF you sponsered her citizenship , you are on the hook for support for 10 years from the date of sponsorship . It sucks , bite the bullet and negotiate for a reasonable amount , insist on a cohabitation clause and hope she remarries soon .

--------------------
Careful. We don't want to learn from this.

1966Gal
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 04/04/08
      #552488 - 07/10/09 08:02 AM

If you signed to support her, then you signed to support her. I don't see a question here. You are a citizen and you brought in a person from another country. You agreed to sponsor her and be financially responsible for her.

Now you want out of the marriage and you want an uncle OR THE TAX PAYER to support someone YOU signed to bring to this country????

Give me a break! This has nothing to do with divorce. You agreed to sponsor an immigrant to get them into this country...now you are on the hook to honor the contract you signed!

--------------------
The Gov cannot give anything to anyone - that they have not first taken away from someone else.

Yes_Dad
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Spousal support estimate: married 7 years: CT [Re: 1966Gal]
      #552506 - 07/10/09 09:34 AM

[quote]If you signed to support her, then you signed to support her. I don't see a question here. You are a citizen and you brought in a person from another country. You agreed to sponsor her and be financially responsible for her.

Now you want out of the marriage and you want an uncle OR THE TAX PAYER to support someone YOU signed to bring to this country????

Give me a break! This has nothing to do with divorce. You agreed to sponsor an immigrant to get them into this country...now you are on the hook to honor the contract you signed! [/quote]

Male or female, I think that whole law sucks. You know as well as I it will come down to the tax payer. When your ancestors or mine came, there wasn't anyone gaurenteeing anything. They should be let in unless they have the skills neccessary to make it on their own.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9017

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: