Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Cohabitation Issues

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
recently joined

Reged: 08/21/10
Posts: 1
common law UK
      #684052 - 08/21/10 04:40 AM

My father has been living as man and wife (unmarried) for the past twenty years with his female friend, in her property. He worked hard, but has now retired on a small pension of £600 pcm. He sold his house many years ago and that (decreasing his asset base to only £50k now) has paid for their living expenses, together with major purchases such as cars, renovations, improvements, summer houses and additional land (30k for land) to the property, with cash, and her insistence and in her name. He has also paid for all the bills, holidays and etc. (He can of course prove the sums coming out of his bank account.) In recent years, she has insisted that he pay a fixed £800 pcm in cash to her.

She is now throwing him out and refusing to come to any agreement or settlement. She is making his life extremely miserable as he has no where to go, and i have told him that he must not move out without coming to some form of agreement or settlement. She has a small widows pension, and has only fleetingly worked in temporary positions over 20 years ago. Since being with my father she has been in the enviable position of not having to work.

The house is worth in the region of 3/4 of a £million, having increased in value dramatically over the past twenty years.

My view is that my father has financed her, allowing her to increase her asset base, whilst reducing his to a pitiful sum.

Does he have a right of equity share and or maintenance?

Any suggestions gratefully received. He's devastated, even thinking of getting a mobile campervan cheaply as he cannot afford anywhere. She is making his life a misery, with her and her son using bullying tactics and he's only at the moment able to go back at night. Is it worth my father pursuing in the courts? Can he get a charge put on the house till she comes to some agreement. Can he move out before this is done, even just to sleep on my sofa?



Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/17/08
Posts: 6756
Re: common law UK [Re: kate682]
      #684086 - 08/21/10 06:38 PM

What are the laws in England about common law marriage ?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  

Reged: 09/05/04
Posts: 1318
Re: common law UK [Re: kate682]
      #690010 - 09/12/10 06:23 PM

Posters could tell you what the probable result would be in each individual US state, but not the UK. Your father clearly needs an attorney.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.


Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3022

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home


Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: