Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Stepfamily Issues

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
nursemom
enthusiast

Reged: 11/18/10
Using text messages in court...
      #740625 - 04/11/11 03:36 PM

Does anyone have any idea if text messages are admissable in court? My ex has been responding via text to my emails. I also wonder if anyone here has any idea of how to get the texts printed up. I have an iphone and bet there is an app out that can do this - I just haven't found one yet.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MrsB
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 07/03/10
Re: Using text messages in court... [Re: nursemom]
      #740626 - 04/11/11 03:39 PM

It may depend - but here they are usually admissable. When X and I divorced several years ago, I couldn't email texts or anything like that so I just had a log of all of them, and saved them in my phone.

I have an iPhone also and I screen shot texts and email them to myself. There may be a better idea someone has but that's mine :).

Edited by MrsB (04/11/11 03:40 PM)

LexieBelle
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 11/07/10
      #740627 - 04/11/11 03:39 PM

On the iphone, on the messages page (meaning the messages page of the INDIVIDUAL who sent you the message, NOT the general messages page.. edited to add this part since it wasn't clear), select "edit". Radio buttons will appear on the left. Select which text you want. You should then have "delte" on the left and "forward" on the right. Forward them to your own email. I've done it frequently, works fine.

Also, if you are using something like readnotify, you may them to yourself via readnotify so you'd have a record of that as well.

I am using you are on a 3G or better iPhone, I have a 3GS.

Edited by LexieBelle (04/11/11 03:41 PM)

nursemom
enthusiast

Re: Using text messages in court... [Re: LexieBelle]
      #740633 - 04/11/11 03:49 PM

Thanks LB,

I have the new iPhone 4G (hubby just had to have them as soon as they came out - boys and their toys I say - I was perfectly happy with the 3GS). I will try that and see if I can email them to myself. There are tons and tons of them, will be interesting to see how far back I can pull them up from...

Thanks for your suggestion!!

LexieBelle
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 11/07/10
      #740636 - 04/11/11 03:54 PM

I'm holding out for the iPhone 5. The head of Sony let it slip in a news conference last week (??) that they are providing camera components for it and that they'll be delayed by the earthquake. Its' long been rumored that Apple was gonna ditch their current camera technology and I'd heard RIGHT after the 4 came out that the 5 was going to have an 8megapixel Sony in it. It is the ONE thing I despise about the iPhone and that's the camera, b/c it totally sucks. Well, unless you are in THE perfect light, JUST the right distance away. etc.

Anyway, I digress ;) I think you can probably send 5 texts at a time to yourself? Try it out. I know that's the limit with pictures, and on the 3GS. You've got that 4 so ;)

(need to get a countdown for the 5 now.. damn! Got that in my head, lol.)

nursemom
enthusiast

Re: Using text messages in court... [Re: LexieBelle]
      #740639 - 04/11/11 04:08 PM

I just tried, and it will send as many as I want (sent 50), but it puts them all together, no spacing to indicate who said what...so it is hard to follow the conversation - not sure what to do about that...

By the way, I have some awesome shots using the 4G when I took the kids to Niagara Falls - too bad I can't post one to show you. I haven't had too many problems with my camera on this one, it also has a zoom feature and a record feature like a camcorder. Those were some upgrades they really needed!!

Edited by nursemom (04/11/11 04:10 PM)

KiwiGirl
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/05
Loc: Plains State
      #740640 - 04/11/11 04:09 PM

My daughter emailed all the texts her daughters BF sent her. She then forwarded them to her attorney who in turn used them in his responses to the BFs claims prior to court.

Basically he nailed himself to the wall. He told his attorney how demanding DD was and neglectful and then she fired off a claim to DDs attorney who in turn responded with something along the lines of .."Your client is mistaken because accordng to his text message to my client on xxxxx he wrote that he would not xxxxxx."

The texts never got to court (and there could be a problem with exactly proving it was the other party texting and not some friend messing with his/her phone)but I know it certainly shut the BF up and he stopped twisting what she said.

--------------------
If I can't be part of the solution I insist on being most of the problem

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 3167

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: